Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm curious,has anyone ever layed up a boat in their garage?I am wondering the cost and how difficult.It would be an interesting project for sure.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have a 70' Howard Shovelnose that has that identical bottom..So my guess is HOWARD...BTW....All sangers have round gunnels..
The other one may be a Crusader

·
Registered
319 Posts
prices

I have built several boats at home. Not lately tho. a few years ago, resin was $600 for 55 gal. Enough to do two 400-450 pound 18-19 ft. boats. The mat and cloth was $2.50 - $3.50 per pound, depending on what kind you use. you'll need a drum of acetone too. used to be $250. and gel coat. and balsa. and mold release wax. and paint brushes and rollers and squeegee. depending on where you live, there may be issues with code officials. I got in trouble for doin it when I lived in Havasu, but not here in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a 70' Howard Shovelnose that has that identical bottom..So my guess is HOWARD...BTW....All sangers have round gunnels..
Be good trick if they were, Howard burnt the shovel molds to the ground years ago.

Aren't these molds in this thread the ones bought by Rick, his web site is Retroboats.com I think? Don't know his last name but he's into old stuff, has a few Switzer wings too.

The one Todd is talking about sure does look like the one that was offered through Warlock but it was owned by the guy that use to do gel work for them, I can't think of his name right now, not Jim Sullivan, but another guy who use to own Conquest boats. Not the Conquest that morphed from Sleekcraft, the one before that. He was trying to sell the molds back then and also wanted to market them as a little deck boat. :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Rick Connolly, that's the guys name that bought these molds earlier last year, he's in Phoenix. Bought them from a guy in the high desert (Victorville?) that was running an ad on craigslsit.

And the guy that owned Conquest that had a mold a lot like that tunnel, his first name was Stuart...his last name hasn't come to me yet.

Bugged me all night trying to remember this stupid shit. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
We own a Howard as well, and that 'LOOKS' like the bottom on our boat. However as we know, you really cant say it till you measure. There were a bunch of boats built off the Howard, I was even told there was an ED that was narrowed from a Howard, and someone even shortened a Howard.... Or that could even be a Hondo bottom, without being there to see we really can't tell. BTW if you need help building them, Frank let me know.... The Hydro that is, I have no clue on the "MUDSUCKER"
STEVE

·
Registered
20 Posts
the bottom one looks a lot like the bottom of my howard but the nose looks a lil shorter sanger had a stub nose from the the ones i have seen are thoes yours frank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts