Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking for a 4-prong single pole, double throw momentary switch for my engine hatch. I find 3 prong switches everywhere. The uncommon thing about the switch is that it has to have a hot/ground and two momentary (up & down) prongs. I went to a few stores yesterday, including farm equip supplies & off-road stores looking for the switch with no luck. im sure the boat manufacturers know where to find them, but i cant. any help or link is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
What you can use is a Dual Pole Dual Throw(DPDT) "momentary on--off--momentary on" switch. It will have six terminals.You will have to add the two wires that cross over from bottom to top as it doesn't have the built in connections like the switch you posted. It will look like this when wired:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
What you can use is a Dual Pole Dual Throw(DPDT) "momentary on--off--momentary on" switch. It will have six terminals.You will have to add the two wires that cross over from bottom to top as it doesn't have the built in connections like the switch you posted. It will look like this when wired:

I have some 4 and 6 pole if you can't find any let me know! They are new!

·
Registered
517 Posts
cant you just use the 3 terminal and 2 relays?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

so the switch i posted will work once i wire how you have it? thx

cant you just use the 3 terminal and 2 relays?
i could use a 3 prong and disconnected each wire when i need it to go up or down. just checking to see if i can find a switch like the one it has. thx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Here's your switch. Cole Hersee 55054 Wire it like I showed above. You could also swap the positions of the B+/B- leads with the actuator leads and it will work the same. Do a Google search and you will find lots of sources to purchase from. You will also note there are a couple other versions of the switch on the Cole Hersee site.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is the switch for my hatch. (attached photo)

ill try the 6 prong switch that i have. oldsquirter, thx for the help. i can see where the two ends are connected at opposite ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
5 wire alternating 12v. use the 3 pin switch and wire it up as the alarm output would suggest with a ground input on the center pole of your switch..put the relays back by the battery and you will only need to run 2 ground output wires to the switch from the relay bank(green and blue) this will keep all the current load from the switch, and eliminate extra wire runs. you could also add a contact style switch to the hatch to stop the actuaters at a preset location(magnet style or spring pressure contact.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cole Hersee has that same style. I thought you were looking for a screw-style connection.
Cole Hersee #55046
View attachment 125129
ill order than tonight. i looked at different websites and 20plus google searches and you found. thx

5 wire alternating 12v. use the 3 pin switch and wire it up as the alarm output would suggest with a ground input on the center pole of your switch..put the relays back by the battery and you will only need to run 2 ground output wires to the switch from the relay bank(green and blue) this will keep all the current load from the switch, and eliminate extra wire runs. you could also add a contact style switch to the hatch to stop the actuaters at a preset location(magnet style or spring pressure contact.
thx.

here is my finished product. im adding a relay, but these switches were used on my old hydraulic set up, hooked up to 12 batteries, so one battery should be ok. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i take it that it doesnt matter which is hooked to the positive or negative? (4/5= ground 3/6=hot)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
ill order than tonight. i looked at different websites and 20plus google searches and you found. thx
Learned a long time ago that Cole Hersee is the #1 source for marine switches, relays and solenoids. Much better quality than some of the newcomers to the industry.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Learned a long time ago that Cole Hersee is the #1 source for marine switches, relays and solenoids. Much better quality than some of the newcomers to the industry.
Too bad there are no distributers near by. The switch worked out good! thanks again for your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts