Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal on a 383 for the ex manifold bolt holes in the heads to extend into the water jacket? Later model 383/440 heads w/ the larger valves.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Ha. Being a Chev guy, I learned the hard way. I bought a '70 'Cuda 440 6-pack clone. It had a header leak, something awful. I had to take the bolt out of the motor mount and jack that side of the engine up just to get to it. THEN, I pulled the exh bolts out and the coolant just came SHOOTING out of one of the holes. Oh well.

I will say this, though. I have driven many a big-block Chevy. I had a wickedly fast Buick Grand National. I never really thought of Mopar as fast stuff. This built 440 with original (restored) six-pack setup; is UNREAL. It is the fastest car I have possibly EVER driven. With a 3.90 rear and 727, first and second are almost unusable when the end carbs open up. 440s are no joke when built properly. Wow.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
It keeps the manifold bolts cool!!!:D

:)hand

·
Just Me
4,052 Posts
It's normal. The good part is I can't remember ever having one leak. Just a touch of sealant on the threads and they have never leaked. I'm hoping my 440 makes my ride wicked fast when it is all bolted together. We'll see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts