·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Steady Rollin
1,152 Posts
where you supposed to link something?

I have a big dumb american bull dog...i love when people get scared and say he looks like a pit.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have a big dumb american bull dog...i love when people get scared and say he looks like a pit.
Got interupted and sent it off without the link.:)sphss
It's fixed now...

·
Registered
410 Posts
This is what I took from the article:

Take care of your animal, don't teach and perpetuate the stereotyped image of the breed, don't run an illegal breeding establishment, keep your dog in YOUR yard, and don't break any laws, and the authorities will leave you alone.

What a novel concept.

Be a good human being, a good citizen, and you won't find yourself in this situation.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Take care of your animal, don't teach and perpetuate the stereotyped image of the breed, don't run an illegal breeding establishment, keep your dog in YOUR yard, and don't break any laws, and the authorities will leave you alone.

What a novel concept.

Be a good human being, a good citizen, and you won't find yourself in this situation.
At first that was my impression as well, however the 5th and 4th to last sentences in this and some of the rhetoric, that these officials have used, in addition to this article, have caused me to bit of concern.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Off Subject A Bit

What a novel concept.

By the looks of your AVATAR I do assume a Big Red Fan? If a real true blue fan what was their original name?hil:)?

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
At first that was my impression as well, however the 5th and 4th to last sentences in this and some of the rhetoric, that these officials have used, in addition to this article, have caused me to bit of concern.
And it ios not undue concern.

Unfortunately, so many people with this breed, have made so many of them aggressive, and mal-treated them, for so many years, that the breed is effectively screwed.
I like dogs.
By that same note, I've shoved more than 1 .45 slug into more than one dog in this yard that showed itself to be unacceptably aggressive.
3 were my own dogs.
One was not.
1 may still be alive, because I never saw it again after it made "my list".

I don't have an axe to grind on Pits per se, but, it has become the current "hated breed" due to stupid people:
1.- making it an aggressive dog.
2.- making the above "aggressive" dog, an UN-TRAINED "guard" dog.
3.- failing to controll, at ALL TIMES, the above, aggressive, un-trained "guard" dog.

I feel some for the people who like this breed, but idiots have screwed it, for DECADES at least.

I don't care for Pits personally, I have other more favorite breeds, but, that dog is like any other, behaves as it was raised, and by what it was taught.

The "potential safety problem" is what would "concern" me most.

Is a dashound a "potential safety problem"???? It bites, and COULD carry a disease.......

Is there a "weight limit" for "potential safety problem", or can a Peekenese qualify, since IT CAN BITE?????? (and potentially kill)

How about a Mastiff????? "Potential Safety Problem"???

Way too much leeway for someone who is "afraid of dogs (which will be someone who is afraid of ALL dogs), to rope a poodle into "concerned citizens could call us up and indicate that there is a potential safety problem" as easilly as a large-breed dog.

we will never know the number of children whose lives have not been damaged or taken as a result of his efforts
It is just amazing how an untold number of "crimes" have been PREVENTED, but, since they never happened, we'll never know just HOW GOOD it was.
Bull-crap.

a new ordinance intended to establish sanctions against owners who use pit bulls to intimidate, threaten or harm others.
Time to revert back to German Sheppards and Doberman Pinchers.

Ok, Doberman's, now THERE's a borderline psycho dog breed I DO hate, but, it is solely becasue of a neighbor's (while growing up) that used to come pick fights with my Boxer female I had.
Rural housing area, nobody had fences on 3-acre yards.
It nearly killed my dog once.
It ALWAYS waited until I got on the school buss before coming to my yard.
At one time, had I EVER seen that Doberman again, out of it's owner's yard, I'd have killed it, and thrown it on his porch.
And rung the doorbell.

Turns out some nearby farmer caught it chasing his geese.
BLAM!!!!!!
Not my problem any more.

·
Registered
587 Posts

Funny how that breed is also said to be one of the best with children... I love american bull dogs and will have one some day when I have the room to let it run. I'm thinking american bull dog and mini dachshund would compliment eachother well haha

G

·
Funny how that breed is also said to be one of the best with children... I love american bull dogs and will have one some day when I have the room to let it run. I'm thinking american bull dog and mini dachshund would compliment eachother well haha

Mine is 5 months old and 55lbs (my avatar) and hes AWSOME with my kids 7,8 and 11 and so was my last AB who was 100lbs. Oh and we also have a Peekinees, theres opposites for ya;), and she is more agressive than any dog ive owned towards other dogs and ive had a couple pits. :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
well here is what we have

3- min shauzner s/p it's early
1- pit
1- great dane

the pit is a big lap dog she is 85# but mess with her sister's and she comes running to protect them and if she don't know you she will make you stay outside she wont bite you just keep you out

·
Registered
410 Posts
While I do agree that the stereotype is unfair to those that do it the right way, it is what it is. I look at all dogs the same, unless I know the dog, I consider it capable of biting me or worse. I also take into consideration as to whom the dog belongs to. I am friends with a couple that owned two Pits, and they were great dogs, but I still would not own one. What I found interesting was there answer to this simple question:

Are those two Pit Bulls?

The response: "Those are American Staffordshire Terriers" Am Staffs for short....

That response usually comforted the guests long enough to get to know the dogs...and then form an opinion whether they like them or not..

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
You have to be pretty stupid to not be able to see the corolation between pit bulls and dogs attacking humans. By the sheer number of people attacked by pit bulls you would think 90% of the dogs in existance are pit bulls, but that's not the case. I have a friend who's stupid like that, he's on his 3rd pit bull. The first 2 were terminated after attacking people. Pit bull lovers can say anything they want to, BS like the dogs were trained to be aggressive (BS), or they are the best dogs with kids (BS), without any evidence it's just BS, look at the evidence that they are not a good breed - oh wait you can't because you like them. :)sphss Speaking of liking them, what's the number one reason a new dog owner will get a pit bull? They look tough. Now that's a mature way to make a decision.

I think the breed should be terminated and I am all for the removal of them from any and all property.

My son's ear is fine now, thanks. You can't even see the injuries and he has almost all of his hearing back now. Thanks for your concern.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
We took in our youngest son's pit bull when he had to go away for several years. He had BoBo since he was a pup. He stayed with us for three years. In that time we had our relatives over for holidays with young children and he never showed any aggression toward anyone. The children loved him and he would tolerate almost any indignities from them.

He was an excellent watchdog but not a guard dog. Pit bulls are not good guard dogs because they were not bred to be aggressive toward humans as a guard dog has to be.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Its funny I had my dog out in a field this weekend and some lady started screaming at me to put my pit bull on a leash. Now does this guy look like a pit bull? People are out of control these days

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
My thoughts exactly.

Dogs they like.

"The city's goal is to use the ordinance against members of gangs, Parris said.

"I want this to be the most inhospitable city for gangs that ever existed, and one of the ways we're doing that is to go after the dogs they like," the mayor said.

That effort also may affect law-abiding citizens who own pit bulls, but that is a price a few residents might pay to make the general public safe, he said."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts