Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call today from the fish & game to participate in a survey as a boat owner. the questions were about Arizona lakes and the colorado river. Questrions ranged from what kind of boat, manditory safety courses, operators license, to "would you approve of a maximum speed limit on the lake?". She seemed like a younger girl about my age and was really nice...I got to talking to her about what the survey was about and of course they are thinking of imposing more regulations on boaters and wanted to get a feel on peoples opinions.

I know there is no shortage of idiots on the lake/river but come on now uncle sam...give us a break would ya! It would be nice if we could enjoy a hobby with out the government there looking over our shoulder waiting to take the fun from under you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know there is no shortage of idiots on the lake/river but come on now uncle sam...give us a break would ya! It would be nice if we could enjoy a hobby with out the government there looking over our shoulder waiting to take the fun from under you.[/QUOTE]
x2

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I would be very cautious answering questions like this from a phone call!! Something sounds fishy, I can believe the state would survey anyone's opinion before implementing new laws, and how did they get your phone number? The state does NOT store phone numbers for vehicle registration.

This sounds funny....

Anyone else???:)bulb

·
I don't feel tardy
845 Posts
I would be very cautious answering questions like this from a phone call!! Something sounds fishy, I can believe the state would survey anyone's opinion before implementing new laws, and how did they get your phone number? The state does NOT store phone numbers for vehicle registration.

This sounds funny....

I would want to know if she was asking on behalf of California or Arizona fish and game.
I very seldom participate in phone surveys, leave me the phuck alone. :)hand

·
Re - Member?
768 Posts
My 2 cents..........

Instead of dreaming up more rules to fine (revenue generators) boaters on why don't they concentrate on enforcing the rules they already have, provide better services and training to their officers. I've met some very polite, very knowledgable officers but occasionally I've run into unsafe improperly trained idiots :)sphss who cause more danger to themselves and the boaters :)hand they mistakenly thought were doing something wrong.

·
Registered
452 Posts

This sounds funny....

I got what sounds to be this same survey last year right after I paid my registration. I posted it up but nobody else had received or knew about it.
It is from the AZ Fish and Game dept and yes your phone number is on file.

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
I'll bet some of the questions were:

Where do you do most of your boating?
Have you boated in the last 2 weeks?
Where?
Where do you buy most of your boat fuel?
How much fuel do you buy each year?
How much from Marinas, and how much from shore gas stations?
What improvements would you like to see at your favorite lake?
What would you like to see boating law enforcement concentrate on?

And such..........

This is the tri-annual Arizona Watercraft Survey. It's done to determine how much road fuel taxes should be allocated to boating programs, how much funding goes to counties for boating law enforcement, and other purposes.

It's done every 3 years through a combined effort of AZ Game & Fish, AZ State Parks and AZ DOT. IT has little to do with new laws or regulations. Although the person may have said they represent AZGFD, they are actually survey takers from the Behavioral Research Center.

Here's a link to the 2006 Survey.
http://www.azstateparks.gov/publications/downloads/ADOT_2006_Watercraft_Survey.pdf

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll bet some of the questions were:

Where do you do most of your boating?
Have you boated in the last 2 weeks?
Where?
Where do you buy most of your boat fuel?
How much fuel do you buy each year?
How much from Marinas, and how much from shore gas stations?
What improvements would you like to see at your favorite lake?
What would you like to see boating law enforcement concentrate on?

And such..........

This is the tri-annual Arizona Watercraft Survey. It's done to determine how much road fuel taxes should be allocated to boating programs, how much funding goes to counties for boating law enforcement, and other purposes.

It's done every 3 years through a combined effort of AZ Game & Fish, AZ State Parks and AZ DOT. IT has little to do with new laws or regulations. Although the person may have said they represent AZGFD, they are actually survey takers from the Behavioral Research Center.

Here's a link to the 2006 Survey.
http://www.azstateparks.gov/publications/downloads/ADOT_2006_Watercraft_Survey.pdf
Thats them...though she did ask about how I would feel about maz speed limits, operators license, minimum age for operators, and If I agreed with making boaters go through a safety course. I dont know why they would ask those questions if they werent on someones agenda.

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Thats them...though she did ask about how I would feel about maz speed limits, operators license, minimum age for operators, and If I agreed with making boaters go through a safety course. I dont know why they would ask those questions if they werent on someones agenda.
Not so much an "agenda" as just what it is. A survey.

Arizona is one of only about 5 states that doesn't have some kind of licensing or operator certification. The age limit deal is essentially whether AZ boaters want to bring the age up to 16, like California and most surrounding states.

How the boaters feel goes a long way in determining whether or not to propose new laws, leave them the way they are or dump them completely.

It's better than having cops and bureaucrats decide what laws need to be passed, changed or repealed.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
I got a call today from the fish & game to participate in a survey as a boat owner. the questions were about Arizona lakes and the colorado river. Questrions ranged from what kind of boat, manditory safety courses, operators license, to "would you approve of a maximum speed limit on the lake?". She seemed like a younger girl about my age and was really nice...I got to talking to her about what the survey was about and of course they are thinking of imposing more regulations on boaters and wanted to get a feel on peoples opinions.

I know there is no shortage of idiots on the lake/river but come on now uncle sam...give us a break would ya! It would be nice if we could enjoy a hobby with out the government there looking over our shoulder waiting to take the fun from under you.

Did she keep saying uhh wait just a minute, ask someone else a question, get back fumble a little then tell you it was her first survey?:D

I did teach her to pronounce Ehrenburg correctly.:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts