Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting close to the mock up point on my 18' southwind v bottom. I have replaced the 1/4 stringers with 2x6x14 lvl and i am installing a rail setup with motor plates. The pump is a berkeley 12jg with a 5" setback-this puts the clean out cap all the way outside of the transom for a popoff later. I have a 545 ford built for the boat, will be going on the engine dyno prior to install but 800hp is the projected #. The boat is a light layup-not sure on exact weight but 2 guys can pick it up and move it in almost bare condition, the seating will be 2 fiberglass buckets so i can place the engine in the optimal spot. Does anyone have a good reference point for me to start from on where to place the motor?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I would start in the original location. Get ready to fight a bad porpose with the pump set back that far.What was done to the bottom?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
getting ready to do the bottom as soon as i finish glassing the other stringer. I was just going to make sure it was all straight with a 72" level and smooth out the transition into the intake

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Carefull how straight u make the bottom those hulls need rocker at the transom. It seams everone thats pulled it out has porpusing issues. I know on squirtchas old 18 they had to.add trim tabs to fix it

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I am getting close to the mock up point on my 18' southwind v bottom. I have replaced the 1/4 stringers with 2x6x14 lvl and i am installing a rail setup with motor plates. The pump is a berkeley 12jg with a 5" setback-this puts the clean out cap all the way outside of the transom for a popoff later. I have a 545 ford built for the boat, will be going on the engine dyno prior to install but 800hp is the projected #. The boat is a light layup-not sure on exact weight but 2 guys can pick it up and move it in almost bare condition, the seating will be 2 fiberglass buckets so i can place the engine in the optimal spot. Does anyone have a good reference point for me to start from on where to place the motor?
Thanks
On Southwinds Sal's boat I had to reduce the second set of strake's to about 1/4 the size and extended the center strake's all the way to the transom. The boat just has way to much lift. By moving the pump that far back I only see that the problems with this boat are going to be even worse. I agree with Futs on motor location, but if the boat goes together as is, I only see it being a real handful. Even then I still used a small set of cavatition plates to control the boat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pump is not set into the hull just yet, I had it set back because I planned on a popoff. It's sounding like I may need to move the pump back forward some. I am prepared to experiment with the setup, but I do not want to have to re-set the intake. What would be the optimal place to start with on the pump then?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Do you really need a pop-off? That hull isn't really a 100+ MPH hull with out serious work. So if your not busting into the 100+ club maybe you don't really need a pop off, and that would help eliminate one of your set up problems.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
bbfsouthwind:2017706 said:
The pump is not set into the hull just yet, I had it set back because I planned on a popoff. It's sounding like I may need to move the pump back forward some. I am prepared to experiment with the setup, but I do not want to have to re-set the intake. What would be the optimal place to start with on the pump then?
Stock location

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
The farthest back i would put it would be 2.5"(that would be half in half out) anymore than that will be a set up nightmare. Ask Shaun how his acted when we did the bottom blueprint and a set back. I think he still has handleing issues and has since did more bottom work to remove a little bit from what i did. These boats were not designed to go fast. They were Ski boats. There have been a few that have been runners, but your just pushing the safty limits of the hull design. If you want to go fast, get a different style hull. I would say 90's is about all i would want out of one.
Sal's was the best running 18 V bottom southwind i had ever seen run. Thing was a monster and had a ton of work into it. If your dead set on doing this, just do a relief notch in the transom to accomodate the pop off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am already 4 yrs into this project, have layed balsa floors in it and carbon fiber/Kevlar laminated into the floor and stringers, capped the boat etc. So yes I am dead set on using this boat for now, I don't plan to run it past 90 at the most. I came into boats from drag racing cars, so all I'm after is something that comes out of the hole hard. I can cut the hull to move the pump location back forward, so the hand hole bolts should be at the transom roughly?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And what so you guys consider a "ton of work" I'm no stranger to the labor involved in things like this. I have not flipped the boat yet to do the bottom so I can do whatever needed to the bottom to make the boat work.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
And what so you guys consider a "ton of work" I'm no stranger to the labor involved in things like this. I have not flipped the boat yet to do the bottom so I can do whatever needed to the bottom to make the boat work.
a ton of work may equate to alot of trial and error , lots of test and try, lots of adjustments/combinations and trips to the water a bit of frustration and then who knows you might nail the setup right away ;)

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Well lets hope you dont need to find out what a "ton of work" is.......:happy:

Do you have any pictures of this boat we can see? Did you cut the intake all the way through?

I just did the bottom on mine. I only have a little 325 LS engine in it, But i only did the inner most strakes and started about 3' from the intake opening. They only had a small hook. Left everything else untouched. Boat does'nt do anything weird or has no hop at all. I would start with that.

Then put it together and see what it does. Why put a ton of work into something that is unknown? Get the set up dialed and then you will figure out if you even need to mess with the bottom more. I always say do one thing at a time so you know what it did.
Start with just the set back and cleen up the keel and strakes and massage the entry and run it.

Thats what i would do anyways. seen to many people turn a good running boat into a horriable riding boat too many times.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I don't mind the trial and error and the adjusting and changing things. That's what this is all about to me, I just need some pointing in the right direction so I don't get too far along on the wrong path lol. I don't have any pictures of the bottom just yet, but the intake opening is cut through the back of the boat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I'm not sure on what type of loader to use as I have not completely finished up the pump yet, I was going to turn to one of the experts to help me make my choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts