Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1976 Checkmate with 455 Olds and Berkly Jet, last refresh was 2001, and it has been sitting for just over 10 years now since last ran. I know the motor needs to come out and get rebuilt again. The motor has log manifolds with over the transom exhaust and is not family friendly for tubing. I no longer need to go fast with this boat in as much as I would like to use it for family tubing. I was thinking of repowering with a new/used Vortec V8 and through hull exhaust. I am willing to spend the money on the project because I would rather keep the classic and tow my kids safely w/o a prop in the water, no doubt I can go buy a small bowrider or CC for less money then it will cost to give this old classic a family deserved rebirth. Looking for advice/opinions open minded please chime in

Thanks !

Gregg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was the motor weak when you last ran it or are you thinking that because it sat for ten years it needs a refresh, If its the later why not just buy some snells and tips and run it?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
We have successfully built and repowered several small block and small cubic inch jets over the years , small blocks have advantages (weight and inexpensive investment ) and disadvantages (less "grunt" HP among other issues) , In an 16' boat they work well, in a 18 or 19 a basic 5.7 L SBC will provide adequate but somewhat anemic performance , might want to also give some consideration to an LS they make serious power with relatively little work

1 - 3 of 3 Posts