Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to outdrives, so not sure what I can do with the motor. I have a '79 Spectra, 24 footer, it has an all stock 330 HP 454 with a TRS drive. I am going to upgrade the fuel pump to an Edelbrock unit, add an aluminum intake and Holley or Edelbrock carb. I figured while I am at it, throw on some fresh 049 heads that have had some work done to them. If I'm doing that, what size cam should I put in it? I have a new 292 hydraulic sitting here, just don't know what that (if anything) would do to this tug boat.

Suggestions, help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No gearheads in this section? Should I put this in the dyno section?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think you'll do much better with this question if it's moved over to the Dyno section. Your questions are not Prop or Drive related. If you've got a cam question you better be ready to answer a bunch of questions that will be asked.

Off topic... Is your Spectra a 24 or a 24XS?

Aloha

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's a Spectra 24 and not a 24XS. Good luck on the build, they are great (heavy) boats! Before you drop a bunch of $$$ into the engine a basic tune up and a good hard look at the prop might be a good idea.

Aloha

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a Spectra 24 and not a 24XS. Good luck on the build, they are great (heavy) boats! Before you drop a bunch of $$$ into the engine a basic tune up and a good hard look at the prop might be a good idea.

Aloha
Yeah................no, sick of messing with the quadrajet, fuel pump went out. More than a tune up, just got the boat, haven't had it on the water yet. Have 3 different props, does me no good without getting the boat wet.

Seems like a nice heavy boat, not my style thogh, need it running so I can dump it!

·
Ralphs club member
886 Posts
Yeah................no, sick of messing with the quadrajet, fuel pump went out. More than a tune up, just got the boat, haven't had it on the water yet. Have 3 different props, does me no good without getting the boat wet.

Seems like a nice heavy boat, not my style thogh, need it running so I can dump it!
Get the carter mechanical pump.....1/2 price of the edelbrock and just as good, just not polished. Its rebuildable and you can rotate the base to make running your fuel lines easier. Good pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts