1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorola Automotive Products
Modle# MR12N451D 12V 37-AMP
2 wire hook-up
In order to get this tested Pep Boys needs to know what type and year car this came off of.
I told them a 1983 Daytona Eliminator :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thats funny, I checked an altenator at the local autozone for a friend, older prestolite. Asking for an oil filter or plugs can be a challenge as well. I need a filter for a gen V bowtie chev big block, then I have to remember what yrs gen V were available.:D

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck if it aint in their computer they dont know anything and are of no help
whatsoever.
This I know...that's why I'm asking here, about what year and what make automobile would the above Alt had been on?

First time ever it's not putting out...like a $100 hooker that won't take a five spot :D

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
I want to say AMC used them, but that was such a long time ago, I cant be absolutely certain. If it turns out to be toast, I bet a nice GM based marine one-wire would be a pretty close fit.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Alternator

the orange wire that looks like a phone cord is called the trigger wire, it needs to see some kind of draw on it to excite the voltage regulator otherwise it wont charge, the other post on the alt. would be tied to the Batt. Positive side, the alt. doesn't need a ground the body of the alt. serves as ground, I worked in auto parts years ago & that is how we did them, todays parts stores have pre made connectors that they plug into the alt. back in the day the machine I used had alligator clips all you had to know is which is hot, which is FLD, & which is grnd. Good luck

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
not sure but if they test it WTF it matter what it came from all that matters is it works or not ????????????
Becuase they are to stupid to know how to hook it up to the test machine.The new testers are all computerized and needs cables hooked to it for the machine to put a load to it. I took mine in to get tested (little mini alt) and I ended up hooking it up for the guy. He said, is that were that wire goes? I said Yep and ran the test. tested good and walked out.

You could always go to the local starter/alternator rebuilder. I like the old school testers anyways...:)devil

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i saw some nice 1 wire chrome mini alt 50amps on ebay for 110, and some regular sized 70amp 1 wire chrome alts for 60bucks, that's hard to beat. i used 1 of the regular sized chrome 70amp alts on my gullwing and it actually put out 76amps and would charge at 14.8-15.6volts, worked great

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Hammer,

Any luck yet? I'm trying to do some research for you. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. Give me a few minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everything I am coming up with suggests your alternator was only put on boats. I know the frustration of them asking "what car is it off of?" They don't have the equipment to just "hook it up" with out knowing what type of (which little numbered) connector to use on their machine. If you can talk to the actual manager of the store, usually those guys can figure out what they need to test it. Otherwise, you might have to go to a place with an old school tester. Basically other than an Autozone or Advanced or anyplace like that. The guys that are 18 that work behind the counter at these places are just not going to know how to improvise enough to make the tester work for your alternator. Hope this helps and I apologize for the rambling. Good Luck.

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everything I am coming up with suggests your alternator was only put on boats. I know the frustration of them asking "what car is it off of?" They don't have the equipment to just "hook it up" with out knowing what type of (which little numbered) connector to use on their machine. If you can talk to the actual manager of the store, usually those guys can figure out what they need to test it. Otherwise, you might have to go to a place with an old school tester. Basically other than an Autozone or Advanced or anyplace like that. The guys that are 18 that work behind the counter at these places are just not going to know how to improvise enough to make the tester work for your alternator. Hope this helps and I apologize for the rambling. Good Luck.

Jimmy
Thanks for your time Jimmy, I'll run it by a starter/alternator repair shop.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Hammerdown, i had a very similar looking alternator that was the original one on my bbo. Took it to an alt shop, i think those things put out very minimal amperage. May be ok for no electronic equipment. I ended up buying a Delco one wire, having it ocnverted to a marine alternator for 70 ish bucks, @100 amps. Just in case that one isn't up to what you need to do. Good luck!

·
Administrator
11,647 Posts
Reminds me of the grocery store. I was in the produce section yesterday and wanted to know the difference in the varieties of the bartlett pears they have sold as the present ones are shit. Guy putting produce out was probably 25-30. I don't think he knew what a pear was except the isle number. I just walked away.

Hammer that looks like a marine only version as said above. The cookie cutter parts houses won't have a clue. Napa may though if you have one in the area. They are a grade up. Independent parts house or auto-electric shop is your best bet.

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
My boat has one of those on it. I want to say its labeled as a marine use alt.?

It wasn't working when I bought the boat, local starter/alternator shop fixed it & its been fine ever since. That was 2005, cost $25-$30 bucks to repair.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE...the regulator was bad.
Ya don't want to know what I was charged $$$ but, I felt this little mom & pop shop needed the money so what the heck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts