Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to mount side tanks into a light layup daytona 19. I have a couole ideas but I wanted some opinions. The tanks are 8" Russell stainless.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I remember seeing an article about glassing in a bracket, I'll see if I can find a link. Hate seeing holes drilled through bottom.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Link is an article it of hot boat mag. Found some pics on SoCal. About half way down some images of the article.

http://www.socaljetboats.com/hulls/saddle-tank-mounting/msg156748/#msg156748

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Did your boat not have side tanks before? Tanks in my Ultra through bolt from the bottom through the hull. I think the are 3/8" tapered and counter sunk so they're flush on the bottom. Not big on through bolting through the hull but other than glassing in mount plates, I don't think you have many options.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
My swtd has the standard stainless brackets. It's a pain in the ass to get to the back bolt. I'm either gonna tack the nut to the bracket or make some tapped aluminum bases kinda like a ride plate cradle.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sam sent me some pictures awhile back that have an aluminum "h" bar with studs then glassed in the boat. That link to scjb shows a hot boat article with the same brackets. That's what I had in mind the whole time. I was curious if I could use wood as an alternative but I have no extra room

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
In my last boat I glassed 2 bulkheads in on each side, with a round hole in each. I put carpet on each side of the bulkhead and that in conjunction with the fill tube held them (TANKS) pretty snug. Worked out well.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Did your boat not have side tanks before? Tanks in my Ultra through bolt from the bottom through the hull. I think the are 3/8" tapered and counter sunk so they're flush on the bottom. Not big on through bolting through the hull but other than glassing in mount plates, I don't think you have many options.

Mine are the same way.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Dave these are the ones I welded for Sam. He glassed them to the floor.

Sorry but it's the only pic I got. Sam may have some

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Drill holes in the bottom or the inside of the tunnel

I have hard time drilling holes in the bottom of boats, so I would glass the brackets in, wood could be added

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The strap connecting the two pads together is unnecessary but it doesn't hurt. It does help keep things lined up while grassing the mounts to the floor.
since my boat is super light and thin right there, i would think that the strap would stiffen the bottom up a little bit. My fear is that the bottom is so thin that with 15 gals of fuel hanging off the trailer on little pads will crack the bottom or start to. The bolsa checker board stops right around the dash area.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you are crammed for space, and the wood block would be too tall, take a 1/4" or 3/8" aluminum plate, drill and tap it, and use countersunk bolts on the back side so studs stand up, then glass the aluminum straps to the floor. I have seen many done like this and always looks clean. My gulling already had carpet in it when I purchased it so I bolted tanks in through the bottom, took some stringer washers and countersunk them so I wouldn't be taking more glass out of the boat. Plus it gave me more area to seal off the holes. No leaks yet run floating, riding, or making a pass.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If you are crammed for space, and the wood block would be too tall, take a 1/4" or 3/8" aluminum plate, drill and tap it, and use countersunk bolts on the back side so studs stand up, then glass the aluminum straps to the floor. I have seen many done like this and always looks clean. My gulling already had carpet in it when I purchased it so I bolted tanks in through the bottom, took some stringer washers and countersunk them so I wouldn't be taking more glass out of the boat. Plus it gave me more area to seal off the holes. No leaks yet run floating, riding, or making a pass.
This is exactly what I did except I didn't glass them in. As I stated earlier, the holes were already there through the hull. The tanks and mounts I bought didn't match the mounting points in the hull, so I made adapter plates so I didn't need the re drill anymore holes, I was able to use the existing ones this way. I then had them powder coated. Here's a pick of mount adapters and my transom plates

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts