Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Brea/Big River
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend my 6-al took a dump on me. I found a splice between the box and the distributor which was not insulated and the pos/neg were touching. After checking around with a testing light, we found that the box is getting power but no power is going to the coil or distributor. Question is this: do I replace the box with the same ignition box (6420) or is there something that you guys could recommend? I am trying to replace the box with the least amount of headache (ie: same inputs and outputs or similar).

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
How likely is it that I also lost the magnetic pickup in the dist?
is this an msd distributor? wild ass guess, it's fine. call msd tech line and see if that particular model box can be repaired. if you're satisfied with the features of that particular box, stick with it. easier.

·
Brea/Big River
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is this an msd distributor? wild ass guess, it's fine. call msd tech line and see if that particular model box can be repaired. if you're satisfied with the features of that particular box, stick with it. easier.
Yes, MSD billet distributor. The boat is out in Parker and I am planning on replacing the box next weekend. I will still call MSD and see if the box can be repaired. If so, Ill have it repaired and keep a spare laying around.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
msd

Touch base with Impatient 1, i saw a thread once where he replaces a compoment and that fixes them. Said it was a 3 dollar part, easy to solder in.

Be safe, schick

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
If its not under warranty theyre usually easy to fix once you get the board loose from the box.msd puts in circuit protection loops that burn in two if something shorts.if ya know how to solder the burnt lands or loops can be bypassed with a small piece of insulated wire and alil rosin core solder.the 6a boxes were bad about having cold solders on the heavy red and black wires where they solder to the board.the solder will have visible cracks and itll show itself as a no start or intermittent ignition issues.6al has the lil solder safety loop over near the transformer.they jus jumped a piece of solder across two lands and u can either jump the lands together as they do with solder or wire.they used solder so itd melt in two like a fuse.hell cld be fuselink barewire they use i jus reloop it with rosin core to put the protection back.outta 7-8 msd boxes ive tried to fix only one i cldnt figure out easily jus by lookn for something burnt in two or a capacitor or transitor thats exploded.regardless take out the board and jus look msd wont charge any different if its outta warranty and u took it apart and put it back together.know what i mean;) never been into a digital msd box cant help anyone there.jus 6a n 6al are all ive had open.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
No problem.its worth opening up and taking alook in most cases.sometimes it may not be a visible failure in which case u can just put it back together and send to msd.lotta those 35 bucks msd repairs you hear someone mention is just msd bypassing a burnt land or loop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.