Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to the lake yesterday for the frist time this year. the boat was running pretty good. after about an hour of run time the msd box stop gaving power to the coil. has any one had this prob. thaks

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I haven't had that problem personally but I have read that many guys have had the same problem. That is why I carry a spare. I am sure there will be others that will chime in.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
check your grounds, its has to be absolutely clean and tight! also, if you don't find anything there, try runnin it and wiggle'n the red and black heavy gauge wires goin into the box, sometimes they're cold soldered and crack. if that's the case, just pop off the back cover, resolder the wires to the board. easy peasy japaneseaaseeeee:D

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
90% of MSD failures are from bad connections, me personally never had a MSD failure in 15 years. A few friends had issues, tracked problems to bad power or ground source, which can take out a box.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, I checked all the connections today and they all have a good power or ground source. ill have to try to move the ground wire back and forth and see what that does. It lost power when we was idling through a cove

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
When my 6AL took a dump the engine would backfire at 1st then the poping at around 3k. Then the box died. I sent it to MSD and they fixed the problem for 40 sumthing bux plus shipping. I carry a spare now. Either in the boat or in my Truck.
BAd Ground got mine. You need to remove the connection and clean it once in a while.

Try this link
http://www.msdignition.com/RMA_step0.aspx/

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My poped a few time, thought bc i just advac. the timing a little, so i backed it off and the popping stop then i came in to the cove and the box stoped. i have the power going to the battary and the ground to the motor, shound i take the ground to the battary too.

When my 6AL took a dump the engine would backfire at 1st then the poping at around 3k. Then the box died. I sent it to MSD and they fixed the problem for 40 sumthing bux plus shipping. I carry a spare now. Either in the boat or in my Truck.
BAd Ground got mine. You need to remove the connection and clean it once in a while.

Try this link
http://www.msdignition.com/RMA_step0.aspx/

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Remember the MSD box's do not supply power to the coil 100% of the time, they only hit the coil when the pickup gets triggered. To test your box, unhook the pickup wire and bridge the two wires together. When you do this the coil should fire. You may want to pull your main dist wire (the ones that runs from the coil) off the dist, stick a screw driver in it and set it close to the block. This will give the arc some where to go, also you will be able to hear and see it. It's loud, if it's firing you'll know.

...... or just have your dad hold it :p

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Good point Shaun. I also had a pickup go bad in the distributor. 20 bux for a new one. In the pic you can see this is cracked. hard to see when its installed in the dizzy.

Of course I found this after I bought the new 6al box, rotor and cap.:D That's how I now have a spare.:mad:

·
Classic Hotboater!
932 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Owww, forgot about a problem i had. Apparently MSD had some problems with a rotor run and the metal tab that touches the cap was too low, basically the tap should try to push the cap off the dist. I had this problem and i ended up burning off the tab on the cap enough to where the engine ran like shit. Now i always pull that tab up and make sure it's pushing the cap off the dist.

Talking to MSD is going to be pointless, they are going to tell check ground, this runs too long, that runs not right, etc... they are only good if they have the box in hand to test.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I jumped the two wires together and i got a spark from the coil wire off the dist. So i got spark to the dist. and not to the plugs. so is the pick-ups bad i guess

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WELL WELL WELL. after playing with it a little more i took off the dist cap and ever thing looked good. nice and tight. so i turned the key and the rotor bug never moved. I pulled the dist out and the gear is running right on the money. So i broke a cam or broke the timing chain. Damn the luck.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that sucks at least you didn't waist a couple hundred bucks on a new box!

Pull the valve covers and see if the rockers are moving while sombody's crankin. Your sure that the gear pin on the dist didnt snap? Check it! Tap it out and see, might as well before you go digging into the motor.
I tryed turning the rotor bug by nand while the dist was still in the motor and it did not turn. that what got me to think that the chain broke

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
time to sale

Well The time has come i think i am going to sale this boat. trying to build a house and this thing keeps breaking down evertime i turn around. If anyone is interested in a 1974 16ft Cobra Jet with a 454. let me know

1 - 20 of 27 Posts