Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a msd 6M2 on my small block powered sun runner. my tach is telling me im runnin in excess of 8K. i remember something about needing some sort of "filter" that goes in line between the msd box and the tach to bring the rpm read out down to where it actually is. any of this sound right ?

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Are you sure your tach doesn't have any "settings" on the back of it?

What tach do you have? Maybe a quick download of the instructions can fix it without buying anything...

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
With the MSD box the tach, the pick-up has to be re-moved, from the the coil, and hooked to the tach out on the MSD box.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Some tachs, specifically OEM tachs and dare I say it, cheap tachs, can't deal with the 12 v square wave output of a MSD box. If your tach worked before the MSD, and now its wacked, you MAY need one of these. It would help to know the manufacture of the tach. If it has no appearent name, and is original equipment, it most likely needs an adaptor.

Are you triggering the MSD with a points dizzy? Did you remove a ballast resistor? Then you need this one.
LINK: MSD tach adapter with ballast resistor removed

If the old ignition had no ballaat resistor, then this one.
LINK: MSD tach adapter with current resistive wire.

If your using a MSD magnetic pickup dizzy, then this one.
LINK: MSD tach adapter with MSD mag pickup

With the MSD box the tach, the pick-up has to be re-moved, from the the coil, and hooked to the tach out on the MSD box.
If he hooked the tach to the coil like a stock induction ignition, his tack is probably toast now. Most tachs won't put up with a 400-500 volt input for long:)st

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are a brand new set of farah(sp?) gauges. never hooked up before. il have to check in the morning to ensure if its hooked up properly. i am very confident that it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts