Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just like the title says. is the msd 7AL-2 overkill for a stock olds 455? i know i probably should (and i do plan on) changing out the entire ignition system from distributor to the spark plugs. so can i throw on the 7AL-2 now, or should i do other upgrades first to make it more worthwhile?

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,078 Posts
just like the title says. is the msd 7AL-2 overkill for a stock olds 455? ?
Understatement of the year. :D

For simplicity sake I've run a MSD-6 on the 850+ hp Ford for yrs and yrs. It fires 1,200 hp on the Nos no problem.

Yes a 7 is over kill for your Olds, but what the hell it gives you an excuse to build a stronger engine :)

S CP :D

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
just like the title says. is the msd 7AL-2 overkill for a stock olds 455? i know i probably should (and i do plan on) changing out the entire ignition system from distributor to the spark plugs. so can i throw on the 7AL-2 now, or should i do other upgrades first to make it more worthwhile?
save your dough for a chevy.....:). all kidding aside, yes a msd 7al-2 will work but why? a 6al will work fine and you can get them cheap and add any boxes you would like .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies. i picked up a used 7al-2 and thought i'd put it in while my engine was getting installed, just wasn't sure if it would be too much spark for a stock motor. i do plan on building the motor a bit, but for now i'd just like to get out and ride, so i don't wanna over do anything (yet).just wanted to make sure the 7al-2 wouldn't overpower the rest of the stock ignition components. guess i'll be picking up at least a coil today.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
My recomendation would be to use the MSD distributor as well. I am not sure you will get any benifit from throwind that box at a stock distributor. My olds gained 500 RPMs by adding MSD ful system. Although I use 6AL and have never used a 7al. I don't think the stock motor is the issue here. I think it would be the distributor and coil.

Cy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My recomendation would be to use the MSD distributor as well. I am not sure you will get any benifit from throwind that box at a stock distributor. My olds gained 500 RPMs by adding MSD ful system. Although I use 6AL and have never used a 7al. I don't think the stock motor is the issue here. I think it would be the distributor and coil.

Cy
i was thinking the same thing. i just saw that the 7al-2 is intended for "race" use, and (for now) i am about as far away as you can get from having a race motor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There are some good dist out there Pro Comp makes a good product very reasonable. I have always run MSD or Crane and now use my 7Al-2 with a procomp magneic dist. 48.00 runs great.

·
520 Posts
let it rock

the 7 box is overkill but that is not a problem. If you have the box install it and enjoy. Replace the dist next get the pro billet msd. Gotta get a good coil and wires. SJ

1,011 Posts
You need good wires. That spark can leak through the insulation of standard wires and cause all kinds of miss fire. I'd seen that on a car I had years ago. Opened the hood at night and you could see the glow in the wires where they came across the valve covers and all the spark plugs were glowing at the boots.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts