Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an MSD ready to run distributer, and it has several different advance springs and stops, does anyone have any suggestions as to what a good set up is- I believe it has the stiffest springs, so the slowest advance set up, it is going in a mild bbc with a comp cam 280AH-10 cam- I can get the numbers if needed- Thanks

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
Lock the advance out. There is absolutely no reason to have an advance curve in a jet boat. Then set your timing to it's total at 3000 rpm minimum.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Lock the advance out. There is absolutely no reason to have an advance curve in a jet boat. Then set your timing to it's total at 3000 rpm minimum.
I dont understand this can anyone tell me y this sould be locked I know when I run my boat with more advance i pickup speed but it will hardly start but when I set the timeing to were it will start right I lose speed the advence seems to be just the ticket whats up

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
I dont understand this can anyone tell me y this sould be locked I know when I run my boat with more advance i pickup speed but it will hardly start but when I set the timeing to were it will start right I lose speed the advence seems to be just the ticket whats up
A jetboat motor is rarely ran under 3k. Motors in this app like timing instantly in order to build torque/hp cleanly. If you have a sluggish or late advance curve it can cause the motor not make instant power when you crack the throttle. If you must run a curve due to hard starting set a curve so the total advance is in by 1500 to 1800 rpm. If your starter, cables, battery etc. are all in good condition you should not have a problem turning a motor over with a moderate total advance such as 34-36 degrees and moderate compression. If the motor is getting up there in compression a better starter/MSD start retard electronics might be needed with a locked out distributor.

·
sixx st. seargant at arms
778 Posts
A jetboat motor is rarely ran under 3k. Motors in this app like timing instantly in order to build torque/hp cleanly. If you have a sluggish or late advance curve it can cause the motor not make instant power when you crack the throttle. If you must run a curve due to hard starting set a curve so the total advance is in by 1500 to 1800 rpm. If your starter, cables, battery etc. are all in good condition you should not have a problem turning a motor over with a moderate total advance such as 34-36 degrees and moderate compression. If the motor is getting up there in compression a better starter/MSD start retard electronics might be needed with a locked out distributor.
exactly, and if u get a box with a start retard it will retard the timing 20 deg. until the engine reaches 800 rpm to allow for easier cranking!

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
If its locked why 3000rpm? I would also lock it. Light springs increase carb fires.

·
sixx st. seargant at arms
778 Posts
cool I may have a week link in my start system I have some bad wire fixen to do alot of work on the hole boat thanks sorry adout the jack
how far is the the msd box from the battery and tyhe starter. is the battery in good shape?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not running a msd right now just geting the parts to gether to do the ign. swap when I get rid of the olds and install the BBC but before that boat will be completly rewired along with alot of glass work thanks

also the battery is a new interstate

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
If its locked why 3000rpm?
A slight load on the motor is a good idea when setting the total with a t-light. 3k and above is just a good point to check this. But one does not have to if they choose. There is always a slight amount of slop no matter what in the cam drive system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts