Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a big deal, but I wouldn't normally consider a coil to fail much but I have lost 2 msd blaster coils in the last 6 years, maybe that is good maybe not. Anyone else have experiences with them failing. Every three years I can handle but I now keep spares.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i've owner 6-7 of them and never had 1 fail. have had the occassional box failure due to water or the cold soldering job msd tech guys do on the boards:mad: but i know how to fix those. a guy here local just had a 600hp nitrous explosion due to a crank trigger transducer firing at will, it was msd brand, did some odd things before finally blowing the motor all to hell during a nitrous pass.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've owner 6-7 of them and never had 1 fail. have had the occassional box failure due to water or the cold soldering job msd tech guys do on the boards:mad: but i know how to fix those. a guy here local just had a 600hp nitrous explosion due to a crank trigger transducer firing at will, it was msd brand, did some odd things before finally blowing the motor all to hell during a nitrous pass.
ouch....

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Blaster coils are oil filled. Oil filled coils should be only mounted vertically. If mounted horizontally the oil won't be covering all the internals and thus won't remove heat like it would vertically.

I have been using the epoxy filled coils (MSD HVC, Accel, Crane, Jacobs) for a long time and have had no failures. Then again, most of the boats/cars I've installed ignitions in didn't have problems with the Blaster or other oil filled coils either. So, I guess I'm not much help other than the first paragraph. LOL.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Oh, if anyone has MSD issues or would like to upgrade yo u may want to check out this place.
http://www.techwestracing.com/

One of the people from that company wrote this in another forum answering someone's MSD issue questions:

What coil are you running? If it is a Blaster 2 then you need to make sure it is mounted with the tower straight up and down. If is laying on its side or any version other then vertical the windings inside will short out over time and cause the type of lay down issue your talking about. Other than dead MSD boxes we repair that is one of the common problems out there with the oil filled coils. If you would like a suggested option for an upgrade checkout a Carquest FD-478 or Autozone C-839 they are TFI style coils ( No Oil inside) can be mounted in any orientation. Plus they will get everything out of your MSD 6AL with a 3% better rpm ramp from 3300 to 7000 over the Blaster2 & they are usually about $30.00.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
3 years so far on my MSD Blaster 2 coil, but I bought the epoxy potted High Vibration one, so no help here either.

I only had one stock coil (oil filled GM) go bad, and that took 26 years.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the type that I have always used. It says it is epoxy filled. I mount them on the back of the cylinder head with a stand off bracket, to keep it away from heat as best as possible. But I don't think heat would be much of an issue considering a car's engine compartment is much more hot than any boat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not sure how your system is configured and from what components, but dwell time might be the culprit. Over-saturating a coil builds excessive heat in the coil windings leading to reduced life. Lower inductance coils driven by modules with long dwell periods can have a shorter life, especially if the engine is operated for extended periods at low speeds.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm on my third one (2 bad in 8 years). Don't know why but at $35.00 a pop for 4 years use each I ain't sweating it. Flames out hot pipes are kind of interesting every once in a while:)devil. Now bad triggers with randon sparking & blown NOS motors kind of has me worried. Just dropped some $$$$ on MSD gear, I hope it's not a common problem:))eek:))

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Here's what I am running:
MSD Blaster #8222

I already had the canister type mount, so used it.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
This is the type that I have always used. It says it is epoxy filled. I mount them on the back of the cylinder head with a stand off bracket, to keep it away from heat as best as possible. But I don't think heat would be much of an issue considering a car's engine compartment is much more hot than any boat.
Same set up I've been running.:)

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
My blaster II has always laid on it's side, for 14 years or so, on three different motor, and two different boats. Replaced it least year just cause it was so old, and faded

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had the Blaster SS Coil fail on me. Upon further inspection it said.....

Made in China

I bought the USA made HVC and never looked back.

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
The one above is epoxy filled... mount it upside down, right side up, anywhere... lots of classic car guys put them in their glove box to hide em'

The canisters seem to throw people off because the old OEM canister coils used to lay on their sides... thus making people think MSD coils could do the same... not true. The side mounted OEM ones are designed to cool themselves via the oil on their sides, and MSD is designed to cool staying straight up.

I just replaced a blaster 2 on my Carrera after 6 years or so... it sucks when they go because they cause such erratic problems. I thought I had carb issues!

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I'm on the same msd blaster coil that I started on 8 seasons ago.
Never a problem with the coil or the msd 7 marine box.

That being said my ultimate goal is a DIS "coil on plug" or a "coil near plug" setup.
That will eliminate the distributor and increase the coil charge time by 4x.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the Blaster SS Coil fail on me. Upon further inspection it said.....

Made in China

I bought the USA made HVC and never looked back.
Yeah, all there stuff used to be made here, I heard of numerous problems with the stuff from china. The items made here is still great stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Update, just had another blaster2 let go this weekend, this one was 2 trips old, maybe 4 hr run time. Think I'll be calling MSD in the mornning for their thoughts????????

Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts