Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been tossing around the idea of switching to MSD. Just wondering which one most guys are running. Pro Billet mechanical advance part#MSD-85551, Pro Billet tach drive part# MSD-8571 or Pro billet Ready-to-run marine part# MSD-83606. Any suggestions or pros/cons from you guys running one of these, or another, would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I can tell you this, if your running a tunnel ram the 85551 will not fit. The 85561 has a slip collar for tall decks or heads and manifolds that have been milled a bunch, and the 8570 will fit a BBC with a tunnel ram.

·
Bouncing off rocks
82 Posts
ive had the pro billet distributor in mine for about 6 years and no problems. im getting ready to install a tunnel ram over the winter though, so it sounds like i may be shopping for something else if i cant get it to fit

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
for my $$$, i run a Vertex Magneto...no muss, no fuss :)...i have had the same 1 for over 40yrs in both BBC & SBC motors...had it cked once about 10yrs ago & still no repairs...i personally wouldnt run anything else...no install issues on any manif's that i have used...plug & play...keeps on tickin' & takes a lickin' :)...just my .02 cents

FastRat

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
for my $$$, i run a Vertex Magneto...no muss, no fuss :)...i have had the same 1 for over 40yrs in both BBC & SBC motors...had it cked once about 10yrs ago & still no repairs...i personally wouldnt run anything else...no install issues on any manif's that i have used...plug & play...keeps on tickin' & takes a lickin' :)...just my .02 cents

FastRat
x2 a mag is still the only way to go on a boat !

Do yourself a favor and search the sites about msd- you will see all the common problems with different boxes , connections ect - They have there place - but all out reliability - in my oppinion is not msd - better choices out there

·
Nobody
1,720 Posts

FastRat
Yep, same here!..:)devil

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
I don't know about you - but at a 1/2 turn of the key - My horses come alive -- :D

I think all the new boats are using mags
its a wonder were not riding horses still :D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
:)sphss did you mean to say some tunnel rams? I have a 85551 with a weiand pro ram and zero issues
Just passing on what I was told by MSD tech when I questioned them on compatability with late model cast and sheet metal tunnels.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
MSD..what a bunch of crap! They are not reliable, don't make any spark or power, and if anything goes wrong, it is the box. NEVER any other reason.
So, for you guys...get that junk out f your boats and garages. Ship it tro me. I will pay the shipping to get the junk our of your life.
If I see an 8N ford tractor around, I will send you the mag. :D:D
Wags

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Pro billet Ready-to-run marine part# MSD-83606

Runs beautifully, 2 hard years on it, I went with Hi-Vibration coil, just for the heck of it, and SC wires.

For all the folks on here who have box failures (and own spare boxes), but a R2R on it for WHEN/IF the box takes a crap, then unplug the box and DRIVE the boat, instead of being towed.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
MSD..what a bunch of crap! They are not reliable, don't make any spark or power, and if anything goes wrong, it is the box. NEVER any other reason.
So, for you guys...get that junk out f your boats and garages. Ship it tro me. I will pay the shipping to get the junk our of your life.
If I see an 8N ford tractor around, I will send you the mag. :D:D
Wags
I'll up the offer and include a .018 feeler gauge to set your plugs with:)sphss

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'll up the offer and include a .018 feeler gauge to set your plugs with:)sphss

Ya that .018 gap is going to start a real large ignition flame. Forty year old technology belongs in mahogony Chris Crafts at the wooden boat show, not in a modern day, gasoline burning, naturally aspirated high performance engine.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Ya that .018 gap is going to start a real large ignition flame. Forty year old technology belongs in mahogony Chris Crafts at the wooden boat show, not in a modern day, gasoline burning, naturally aspirated high performance engine.
When you actualy make some power you need the small gap otherwise it will get smothered out.:D I actually like my mag for the application it is in. My next one will be using the digital 7. To me it all depends on application.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
The thing with the Pro Billets is that you have to run the ignition box with them. You cannot run them without one since the distributor has no ignition module in it (just a magnetic trigger) to convert the trigger signal into a "ground interrupt" signal to fire the coil.

With the Ready-To-Run such as the 83606, these have the module built in so that you can run them without the box. However they will also run with a box as well.

I have the R2R and am running it with the MSD 6M-2 box and have had zero issues. The box makes a higher voltage spark by stepping the coil primary voltage up from 12 volts to about 460-480 volts (on a coil with a 100:1 turns ratio this translates to about 46,000-48,000 volts for spark voltage). It also allows the simple addition of a rev limiter, which I fully believe every boat should have a limiter for those "hop outta tha water situations" but that's just me. The other beauty of having a R2R with the box is that if the box ever does fail, I have a bypass connector that I made out of weatherpak connectors to bypass the box and run the ignition straight off of the dizzy. You won't get the super high voltage spark without the box, but the boat will run and your weekend won't be fucked if your box goes bad like it would be with a Pro Billet.

IMHO, if you're going to go MSD, get the R2R. You can always add the box to it later as finances permit.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts