Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace my ignition set up and I have been getting mixed reviews. Right now I have a Mallory and am thinking about going with a MSD probillet Dist and ignition box. For those of you that have MSD, have you ever had any problems with the ignition box dying on you or failing in any way? Has anyone had any other problems? Any input would help, Thanks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think you will get mixrd reviews but more positive than negative. Any box can die at anytime. MSD usually fixes the problem and sends it back "no problems found" to keep there good name. I know 3 people that have had there MSD's underwater and still work fine. They had the regular box not the marine version.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Throw a Pertronix in that Mallory and be done. Msd might replace it but what are you supposed to do while they have it.....watch the nice days go bye. Half of people that have their Msd go out on them end up buying another for a spare. A grand in Msd ignitions and a sticker vs $60.00 bucks....
I added a pertronix into my dual point Mallory and its been trouble free for 3 seasons now. Took me like 30minutes to install and done. Added some Pertronix wires just for the f of it.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Never had any problems with my MSD 7ML-2. My old man has the 6 in his play boat and a 7 in his race boat with no problems either, knock on wood!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
MSD is the only way to go,the only thing you have to watch is getting them really wet and the ground wire corrosion will fry them so you just keep them clean I have run all the after market ign. on dirt track cars mallory we even used a jacobs once and the MSD is the good stuff just look at how many people use them thats got count for somthing just what I think also if you think you need a back up just keep the mallory in the garage it wont cost you anything and not much work to change to

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
this has been brought up numerous times over the years, more good than bad.
For me, I was in CP Performance a couple of years ago with the MSD set-up in hand to buy. There were 2 people at the counter ahead of me and both were there trying to return the MSD boxes that failed on them. That was all I needed to put the MSD stuff back on the shelf and buy the Mallory marine magnetic pick-up disty. I've been with it happy ever since.

Here's the link to the MSD Forums so you can read for yourself what some people are going through-
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/index.php

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been running MSD complete ignition in my jet boat for years without a problem. I like the fact that the motor will not load up when I idle through a long no wake zone.On the other hand if it goes out and you dont have a spare your screwed.I have the 6M-2 marine version with rev limiter.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Also people want to run the 6al box in there boat and I understand the marine is expensive but then they get upset when it quits after it gets wet but thay are built for cars and dont like to get wet

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My 6al was underwater for three weeks. Boat started the day after I brought it up. Same box and distributor!!!!!!!!! I am sold on MSD!!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Also people want to run the 6al box in there boat and I understand the marine is expensive but then they get upset when it quits after it gets wet but thay are built for cars and dont like to get wet
I've seen many underhood installations, and last time i checked, it can get pretty wet in there when it rains.

·
Registered
153 Posts
this has been brought up numerous times over the years, more good than bad.
For me, I was in CP Performance a couple of years ago with the MSD set-up in hand to buy. There were 2 people at the counter ahead of me and both were there trying to return the MSD boxes that failed on them. That was all I needed to put the MSD stuff back on the shelf and buy the Mallory marine magnetic pick-up disty. I've been with it happy ever since.

Here's the link to the MSD Forums so you can read for yourself what some people are going through-
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/index.php
Exactly, Lets see $1000.00 for Msd or 60 for Pertronix...hmmm. 940.00 left over to spend on the something else for the boat.
The Pertronix bolts right into Mallory without any mods at all. Covered inside the dizzy so its not out in the elements.
Im not totally dissing Msd....but for the average boat owner its not worth it. I personally like running all day with the family up remote places and not having to worry about a thing.
Msd should do a promotion like get a free oar with an MSD sticker on it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have had good luck with msd, a couple yrs. ago I had trouble with a new 6al box, sent it back to them and they fixed under the warrenty and I am still running it today no problems. The only other trouble I had is a magnetic pick up went bad once $20for a new one fixed that.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Mines still kicking 15 years old now, wish it would die, to justify a shiney new one:|err

·
Just Me
4,061 Posts
Im not totally dissing Msd....but..... Msd should do a promotion like get a free oar with an MSD sticker on it.
sounds like totally dissing MSD to me. But, I've ran MSD in lots of applicatinos and I've even got a Mallory Dizzy runing to my MSD 6 on my 76 Bronco. MSD is good stuff. Anything electrical is going to be heat, water, proper voltage, and proper maintenance sensitive. The only MSD i've burned out was because my altenator wasn't charging at low RPM and the low voltage fried it. MSD still replaced/repaired it and sent me a new one. My bad and they still made good on it. Keep the old one as a spare and buy the good stuff. Just make sure the rest of your stuff is right before you blame what ever electrical component you get that goes bad.

·
Registered
288 Posts
your just buying the name, a mallory dist will work just as good and save you some bucks as well. its almost 100 bucks in price difference in ready to run dist between msd and mallory,if you got the money and you think its what you want buy it. If everyone else jumped off the bridge would you do it too.:)bulb

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Exactly, Lets see $1000.00 for Msd or 60 for Pertronix...hmmm. 940.00 left over to spend on the something else for the boat.
The Pertronix bolts right into Mallory without any mods at all. Covered inside the dizzy so its not out in the elements.
Im not totally dissing Msd....but for the average boat owner its not worth it. I personally like running all day with the family up remote places and not having to worry about a thing.
Msd should do a promotion like get a free oar with an MSD sticker on it.
My 455 gained RPMs an started better after replacing the malory with MSD. I will gladly pay for the name. I just sold my malory from one boat and the HEI is going on ebay from the other this week. MSD is all I will run from a cruiser to my race boat. I have had a coil go on me and get towed in but that could have happened to any coil. I vote MSD. You get the soft touch rev limiter and MSD stands behind their products.

Cy

1 - 20 of 43 Posts