Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here gone through the mussel inspection at Lake Tahoe yet? If so what did they check? Do you need to drain your sea strainers, motors, etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
46 Posts
http://www.tahoeais.org/AIS_Inspection_Factsheet_2-side.pdf

and

www.protecttoahoe.org

They check for ANY standing water in the bilge, as well as check the entire running surface, drives, and any surface that could touch water or hide critters.
They will ask you many questions such as, last body of water, how long ago, hometown, etc.
The process takes a while so plan accordingly.
I was charged by the size of the boat, $40 for a 35'.

Hope that helps.

On a side note:
Don't lie to the inspectors, the mussels are nasty critters and we defiantly don't want them in Tahoe, if they suspect you have or might have mussels, they have a hi heat water treatment you can go through before launching.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Preventing the spread of these creatures is necessary. The Tahoe eco-nazis making a profit from it is despicable, and one of the main reasons my wife and I are passing on going this year. To me it's a matter of principles.

I'd also be curious as to what if any training the so called " inspectors " were given prior to being put to work.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I think if they can sign their name with an "X" they passed the test and were put to work... Or if their green card was not laminated they were also put to work. :D :D :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Went through the inspection last week (July 4th weekend) at the Keys Marina. The inspector (young guy 18-21 years of age) briefly looked over the hull, took a very quick look into the bilge and asked where I boated last. Not sure he could have accurately determined if the boat needed any treatment in the time he took to inspect. Took less than 5 minutes. It seems they were pushing boats through the process very quickly because of the launch line. Cost $40 for my 2750 Nuera.

Launch=$35
Trailer storage for 1 day=$40
Inspection=$40
Total $115 for a day of boating.

I love boating on Tahoe but seems like pricing gouging. I guess if you can...more power to you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I heard they were now charging for the inspection. When I went in for my 2 weeks in Tahoe last summer at Tahoe City Coast Guard Station ramp they did an inspection. My boat is registered in Arizona and my last trip 2 months before Tahoe was Havasu - the inspector looked everything over pretty closely, but after seeing that everything was clean and dry he said have fun - no charge.

It will be interesting to see if they have changed their tune this year on the inspection. Regardless it is a problem we don't want to add to Tahoe's waters.

JCM

·
Banned
1,517 Posts
they put a little sealed bracelet on the bow eye to the trailer and you don't
have to pay or be reinspected as long the bracelet is intact, so if you are boating on Tahoe several days and taking the boat out of the water each day you don't have to pay for multiple inspections- Pretty funny that they are inspecting boats at Tahoe Keys the biggest threat ecology-wise Tahoe's waters ever faced

·
Registered
408 Posts
Close, with a 35' boat on a triple axle trailer, getting around their parking lot was interesting.:)sphss
Iv'e been by that launch ramp and thought it would be too hard to launch from.I have to say, "way to go "and you saved 60 bucks.vs tahoe keys. I still can't get over the cost of that place. Plus its a pain in the ass to launch from there also.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mostly just educating about the damage that could be done, the actual inspection took about 20 minutes and there was alot of wait time.

You can park on the street with a trailer on the North Shore if you know where to go.
ok where to go ?

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
977 Posts
inspection

its funny that on clearlake they just sell you a sticker for your boat and no inspection.how are you soposed to keep them out of the lake if they dont look at the boat.i live 2min from the launch.i go down everyday to check the clarity of the water.there are always bass boat trailers in the parking lot.these guys come from everywhere and most likely from infected lakes.how the hell are we going to stop the spread of these musells if the bass-holes are hitting two or three different lakes in the week and not getting checked.i dont think it is the recreational boater that is spreading these things. its the unsupervised bass-holes that hop from lake to lake all week.but it is us that have to pay for it in the end.we have to deal with our local lakes and the bass-holes just go find another.i dont think its a fair deal

Fast76rogers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts