Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else running these as their primary PFD's? I've got two of the West Marine bags of the big blue/yellow life jackets (4 per bag), but that takes up a lot of room. I know the Mustang Survivals are more money, but take up way less room.

I've seen them on the 'net for around $106 per, for the standard MD3003.

Anyone else carrying these? If I go forward, I'd have to buy 5+, so maybe we could get a deal from someone if we did a group purchase on them?

·
Banned
143 Posts
Hey Keith. Just got a few vests like that from West Marine.

Actually got Leopard print ones for the ladies. :D

The only issue is they are tagged as only counting towards your vest count if worn. This could be an issue.

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Make sure you check the label. The Type V can only be accepted if they are actually worn. If they are just stored on the boat, we can't count them as PFDs for you or your passengers.

You'll need to step up to a Mustang MD3183 BC if you just want inflatables for carrying, rather than wearing.

·
HELL OF A GUY
3,137 Posts
HEY KEITH,we need to plan a mead trip/overnight with everyone,i need to service my boat and the shop is in st george so im 1/2 way to mead,might as well go to mead after,maybe a sat/sunday dealo? sorry for the jack;)

·
Banned
49 Posts
Make sure you check the label. The Type V can only be accepted if they are actually worn. If they are just stored on the boat, we can't count them as PFDs for you or your passengers.

You'll need to step up to a Mustang MD3183 BC if you just want inflatables for carrying, rather than wearing.
I have a question for BoatCop. It seems like there is a grey area with these type of vest. If they don't count as a PFD if not worn couldn't you throw it on if you get pulled over or do you have to wear it the entire time you are on the boat?

·
IDGAF
2,872 Posts
I have a question for BoatCop. It seems like there is a grey area with these type of vest. If they don't count as a PFD if not worn couldn't you throw it on if you get pulled over or do you have to wear it the entire time you are on the boat?
would that be sorta like putting your seat belt on as the cop walks up to cite you for not wearing your seat belt:|err

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
No gray area. A Type V, Special Use PFD has to be worn ALL THE TIME. Only a Type I, II, or III can be stored/not worn to be accepted.

That was the whole idea with the development of Inflatable PFDs. To make them less bulky and more comfortable, so people will WEAR them. When the Coast Guard addressed the fact that most people who die in boating accidents drown (around 85%), rather than die from trauma, they began talking about mandatory PFD wear for all boaters. (They still are)

The Industry stepped up and developed the inflatable and pushed for voluntary wear, rather than mandatory, so the CG would back off.

If we come up on a boat and see people scrambling to put the Type Vs on, it's just as if they didn't have any on board, at all.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No gray area. A Type V, Special Use PFD has to be worn ALL THE TIME. Only a Type I, II, or III can be stored/not worn to be accepted.

That was the whole idea with the development of Inflatable PFDs. To make them less bulky and more comfortable, so people will WEAR them. When the Coast Guard addressed the fact that most people who die in boating accidents drown (around 85%), rather than die from trauma, they began talking about mandatory PFD wear for all boaters. (They still are)

The Industry stepped up and developed the inflatable and pushed for voluntary wear, rather than mandatory, so the CG would back off.

If we come up on a boat and see people scrambling to put the Type Vs on, it's just as if they didn't have any on board, at all.
sound like a BS technicality to me
whats the difference as long as it gets the job dun after its on

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
sound like a BS technicality to me
whats the difference as long as it gets the job dun after its on

PFDs are "Typed" based on a number of factors.

Type I will turn an unconscious wearer face up in the water.

Type II will maintain an unconscious face up, but may not turn them

Type III may require some input by the wearer to stay face up in the water.

Type V may have the characteristics of I, II, or III, but are required to be worn, since they are difficult to put on in the water. This is especially true of inflatable PFDs once they are activated.

Keeping someone alive is not my idea of a "BS Technicality"

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I personally would not recommend wearing a Type V in a Poker Run, race or running hard because they provide zero impact safety if you get bounced around the boat or out.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry Mark, I was hungover at my first response to this thread today. :) Blame it on Moon in the Palms! ;)

I'm game for a Mead trip once my Scarab is running again. Probably around the middle of June it should be ready. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
PFDs are "Typed" based on a number of factors.

Type I will turn an unconscious wearer face up in the water.

Type II will maintain an unconscious face up, but may not turn them

Type III may require some input by the wearer to stay face up in the water.

Type V may have the characteristics of I, II, or III, but are required to be worn, since they are difficult to put on in the water. This is especially true of inflatable PFDs once they are activated.

Keeping someone alive is not my idea of a "BS Technicality"

well if it is more difficult to put on in the water
the law to wear it not stowe it makes sense

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
well if it is more difficult to put on in the water
the law to wear it not stowe it makes sense
Hey, I need help wiring up my compressor, can you help me??? I'm going to wire it underwater, what PFD should I have on??? :)sphss

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
I want a couple of these suits but can't find any used ones. I think they would be more comfortable than vest types.
Hooli while those have some impact foam they are designed to be worn inside a capsule, not in an open boat. In an open boat you should consider a 170 jacket at a minimum, or a non-chute jacket. Both have impact flak material build in and are designed to protect you from impact as well as flotation to keep you from drowning.

None of the consumer products have impact protection for racing purposes. Not a big deal well, until you are impacted by a steering wheel or a part of the boat when thrown out of the seat or unscheduled exiting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts