Performance Boats Forum banner

Mustang Survival Type V inflatable PFD's

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  HOOLI 
#1 ·
Anyone else running these as their primary PFD's? I've got two of the West Marine bags of the big blue/yellow life jackets (4 per bag), but that takes up a lot of room. I know the Mustang Survivals are more money, but take up way less room.

I've seen them on the 'net for around $106 per, for the standard MD3003.

Anyone else carrying these? If I go forward, I'd have to buy 5+, so maybe we could get a deal from someone if we did a group purchase on them?

See less See more
#5 ·
Make sure you check the label. The Type V can only be accepted if they are actually worn. If they are just stored on the boat, we can't count them as PFDs for you or your passengers.

You'll need to step up to a Mustang MD3183 BC if you just want inflatables for carrying, rather than wearing.
I have a question for BoatCop. It seems like there is a grey area with these type of vest. If they don't count as a PFD if not worn couldn't you throw it on if you get pulled over or do you have to wear it the entire time you are on the boat?

#20 · (Edited)
Hooli while those have some impact foam they are designed to be worn inside a capsule, not in an open boat. In an open boat you should consider a 170 jacket at a minimum, or a non-chute jacket. Both have impact flak material build in and are designed to protect you from impact as well as flotation to keep you from drowning.

None of the consumer products have impact protection for racing purposes. Not a big deal well, until you are impacted by a steering wheel or a part of the boat when thrown out of the seat or unscheduled exiting.

#22 ·
So if you are strapped in to you have an air bottle for a few gulps while you attempt to free yourself. I'm guessing there's not a rescue crew boat every half mile...

#24 · (Edited)
I'm not going to be racing this thing. Well not until I find out if i like skipping down a 6" deep river at 110. For now it's just gonna be for week end adrenhelin rushes. In the sanctioned events there are rescue boats. I agree that in an open cockpit boat the impact needs for protection would be greater as there is much more of a chance of ejection and impact from the water. I doubt that getting tossed in a 6" river, any impact resistant safety gear( aside form a helmet) is going to do much good. Iv'e had a few fast jets ( shut up Jordy :D ) but never really took a wreck seriously as I never had one. After watching some of Raven crews vids and seeing the violence associated with some of the crashes I have a new respect for the proper gear, even for just week end playing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.