Performance Boats Forum banner
181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
I replaced everything with stainless except for a few Grade 8 items on the vdrive mount. Used lots of the silver anti-seize. That crap gets every where.

Wood Textile Sleeve Grey Rectangle
Property Wood Shipping box City Automotive design
Table Wood Interior design Floor Flooring
Food Public space Spice Market City

Found a use for one of the stringer to stringer brackets. They are marked in the casting Belmont Boats. It was originally one of the drive line guards and later it supported the center rear seat section. Now it is the main front seat support because we had to cut so much out of the bottom of the seat to get around the vdrive. I put a piece of angle along the front edge of the seat that rests on this bracket. There are other brackets supporting the sides and back. Since this bracket was there, we decided to mount stuff on it - dead man kill switch, battery disconnect, starter button, horn button for my very obnoxious horn Peter donated, accessory plug, bilge pump switch and room for more

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Peter made a driveline guard setup

Automotive tire Metalworking Machine tool Engineering Gas
Automotive tire Wood Gas Engineering Metalworking
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Saw
Automotive design Picture frame Wood Engineering Gas

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
And there was the exhaust that we started way back but didnt finish until after we had the engine back in.
I went from Dad's original logs to these which are larger and should perform better. I still had the original small 2-7/8 ports so I had to use the Nicson elbows that still had the step down for the smaller exhaust hose. Now it has the larger elbows, the 3-1/2" exhaust hose and matching exhaust ports.
And yes, I did mount the teardrops sideways. Mostly to irritate anal people.

Automotive exhaust Cylinder Gas Auto part Font
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire
Automotive exterior Gas Hood Musical instrument accessory Motor vehicle
Wood Coin Headgear Automotive lighting Body jewelry
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Tire

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Then there was the wiring. And it only took Peter 10 minutes...

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Circuit component Naval architecture Motor vehicle Gas Engineering
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper
Toy Automotive exterior Railway Engineering Rolling

Reactions: mdsheppie

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Again, just like when we did the engine stuff last year, Al and Greg were here every day for some reason, working their asses off in the heat, pushing me to stay on it and get it done in time to use it this year. Again, we are up there 3 days a week, even when it is cold or smokey from the fires, having a blast. The boat is like new, only better. Im pretty good with the pedal, the steering is so much better and I like my new seating position. The exhaust sounds great and I picked up a bit more speed (73+), which is fun, but I could always use more...

Sky Glasses Water Vision care Sunglasses
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Vehicle
Sky Atmosphere Cloud Road surface Mountain
Font Technology Screenshot Electric blue Display device
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Grille
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
There is always something else, isnt there. It never ends with these things. Again, like Dad says, If it aint broke, dont fix it. Well, Ive spent a lifetime making bad choices so why stop now?

Next project...

Tool Metalworking Machine tool Engineering Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Font Sculpture Artifact Motor vehicle
Automotive design Wood Hood Table Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

What can I say. I cant wait!

cya on the water...

Just Trouble

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dam you have been busy!!! looks great, those stringers were massive for a flat, well done with that change. looking at your pics I did a double take, that wood decker is a Patterson right? My Dads is Spit Fire and there are a lot of similarities to the Patterson. I also saw a gold and black Sanger... looks like my Family Garage.
Water Vehicle Watercraft Boat Hood
Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle Fluvial landforms of streams

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Wow, no kidding. Yep Greg's boat is a 69 Paterson that was originally set up for endurance with tanks, etc and the Sanger belongs to Jeff who just moved and took it with him to North Carolina where there are still lots of flats and vdrives. Spitfire is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
JT, if you're getting near to 75 mph and thinking of putting a blower on the motor for more speed, it's time to put a whirl-away on the v-drive.

·
Aquacraft
743 Posts
Wow ! You’ve done a lot of work everything looks awesome !,,, I like the exhaust tips where did you get those ? Also what is the rubber mat on the floors in the rear ?, I like the idea where did you get that from ? Good luck it looks great and definitely need some picks with the blower and it running 👍

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
JT, if you're getting near to 75 mph and thinking of putting a blower on the motor for more speed, it's time to put a whirl-away on the v-drive.
Yep, back to that again. When I looked at it before, I dont think there was enough room. Then I waited for Steveo who was supposedly going to make a different style that was shorter and that never happened so now I have to back up and revisit the issue and get some measurements

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Wow ! You’ve done a lot of work everything looks awesome !,,, I like the exhaust tips where did you get those ? Also what is the rubber mat on the floors in the rear ?, I like the idea where did you get that from ? Good luck it looks great and definitely need some picks with the blower and it running 👍
I love those exhaust tips. They were hard to find and expensive. In fact, at one point Sangerboy was trying to help me get some made. Boy that was a long time ago. I finally talked a guy into selling me his off of his 50's wood Belmont on Lake Tahoe call Hot Rod Lincoln. I'll try to find a pic. Ive seen a bunch of them on old 50's Belmonts.

The mats are just exercise mats. I started doing that after I re-did the floors and the tanks years ago because I didnt want to scratch them with the anchor and stuff. Then we used them to protect the floor while we were doing the work. I ruined the first set that were thin but these new ones are lots thicker and work great. Ive used them ever since.

Yep, we sure did get a lot done, especially for 3 guys who dont know what the hell we were doing. It took us about 7 months of full time work nearly every day to get all of it done and lots of those days were well over 100 degrees and as high as 112 many days. It was crazy but Ive already enjoyed it enough to make it all worth it.

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Here are a couple pics of the boat I got the exhaust ports from.

Water Boat Watercraft Sky Vehicle

Several years ago I put quite a lot of effort into trying to figure out how to quiet down the vdrive noise so passengers would quit jumping out of the boat anywhere around 2000 rpm. It would take a couple pages to cover it all but the bottom line is that I was finally successful. I think what did it was closing off under the deck and filling it with swimming pool noodles and actually cutting down the stringers may have helped some as well. I would say it is 30-50 percent quieter and I dont wear earplugs anymore.

Glasses Sky Water Vision care Cap

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Here are a couple pics of the boat I got the exhaust ports from.

View attachment 1044663

Several years ago I put quite a lot of effort into trying to figure out how to quiet down the vdrive noise so passengers would quit jumping out of the boat anywhere around 2000 rpm. It would take a couple pages to cover it all but the bottom line is that I was finally successful. I think what did it was closing off under the deck and filling it with swimming pool noodles and actually cutting down the stringers may have helped some as well. I would say it is 30-50 percent quieter and I dont wear earplugs anymore.
Hot Rod Lincoln is the same hull as my 1960, ours came with a 430 Lincon too but it also had a McCulloch centrifugal supercharger on it. Massive amounts of torque with that mill :)

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 · (Edited)
If some of this is repetative, it is because I cant remember what I already wrote. It has been a long time since I have been on the site since it's death so Im gonna try to finish this really long story. Hopefully it will all be here when my kids get the Belmont and need answers. That was the purpose of it all initially. Along the way I met a lot of good people who provided lots of help.
PETER GUY is a freakin genius and full of talent. I gotta thank him for ALL the work he has done and all he taught me.
After making my original Olds 425 right again, with all of the best, strongest parts and set up to run 91 octane, we started restoring and then upgrading everything in and under the boat.
Some of it was upgrading the original, lots of it was safety upgrades. As you have seen, we cut down the massive stringers, filled all the holes, added supports and closed off the bow area and reinforced all the glass, then gel coated and sealed it all. We replaced and updated the steering, we upgraded to an adjustable cavitation plate with an override down pedal, we lowered the seats and moved them back, we put bigger exhaust and ports and braced up the transom and put the engine on rails. He rewired the entire boat and we put a safety tube over the driveline. I pretty much managed to keep everything era specific 1960's as a tribute to Dad who built it all originally. He is almost 93 now.

So my most recent updates got out of control. It is a sickness for sure. I just wanted to keep up with Greg in his 69 Patterson. I can keep up with him now.
As all the other work was occurring, I addressed the unseen stuff. I rebuilt the v-drive and upgraded to a 1-1/8" output shaft and a new 1-1/8 to 1" coupler from Dave Connolly, a new Aquamet 22 prop shaft from Tom Bentley and an awesome rudder and strut from Lance Stump. The prop is a 3 blade steel Stellings that Harold Kindsvater came out of retirement to fix up for me.

Finally, we put aluminum heads on it with a 6-71 blower. Wow! I always wanted an old school roots blower on something.
The heads were an easy swap compared to the blower but he had to make spacers for the valve covers to clear the rockers. Peter milled the top off of a 2x4 intake and modified it to mate with an adapter he milled from a block to mate the blower and the intake. He also fabricated a ton of parts on the blower assembly. One of the coolest is the boost gauge housing and mount.

Finally, because this is just a ski boat, Peter made a belt guard and a ski tow. We just had enough time to put those two items on, unfinished, in time to take the grand kids boating, tubing and skiing during their two week summer vacation visit from Texas. If I park it at all this winter, I will take them off and finish them to look as good as everything else.

Im going to need to replace the seats at some point, do a little work on the trailer and put a whirl-away on the v-drive but the boat is better than brand new now and I love it. Peter has been schooling me on driving.

It looks pretty large back there, which I am getting used to. When it is time for the kids to take it from me, I can set it all back to the way it was for them if they prefer, but Im not ready yet!

Thanks to Greg and Al and everybody that helped along the way

Just Trouble (JT)

Wood Material property Bumper Gas Flooring
Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Material property Bumper Wood
Tool Bumper Composite material Wood Automotive exterior
Gas Auto part Cylinder Metal Bumper
Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Circuit component Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Finger Rim Gas Camera lens
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
and finally,

Water Sky Plant Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Sky Cloud Vehicle Tree Beard
Water Sky Boat Cloud Watercraft
Sky Mountain Water Natural environment Cap
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

If it were black and silver, I'd buy it!

181 - 199 of 199 Posts