Performance Boats Forum banner
161 - 180 of 199 Posts

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Oh ya, right before the kids got here from Texas, the engine stared acting up and I was thinking NO NO NO! We checked everything. It started hard, idled okay but had no power. We were out on the lake and as I pulled away from Greg in his Paterson, he solved the mystery. The 52 year old starboard side exhaust hose inner liner had collapsed inside and closed it off! I bought just one replacement and swapped it out, knowing that I someday hoped to switch to larger ports and hoses.
Wood Tints and shades Gas Hardwood Human leg
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Automotive design Grey
Insect Arthropod Caterpillar Temperature Foot

Since we had decided to quit going to the lake in late December last year, it was time to pull the engine out so we could change the starter. My stringers are so tall and the engine sits so low, I couldnt get to the starter without lifting the engine. So we pulled it out and I was really glad that the failed starter had not ruined my flywheel. Other than swapping out the starter for a tiny one, all the engine needed was some touchup paint.
Hood Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Vehicle brake

And that is when it all started. Innocent enough at first, but then...
When I swapped out the fiberglass fuel tanks years ago I went thru quite an ordeal learning how to redo them. I did both sides, front to back but not the center isle. It was dirty, so I cleaned it. Then I found where some of the resin was chipping, so I decided to sand it and then polish it real quick. Then I figured I might as well go all the way to the front so I had to pull everything else out of the hull. We kept thinking of other little things we could do while we were at it. Then I started writing it all down. Then we drug out all of the boxes of parts I had accumulated and the thinking was like this: well, since we are here, we might as well do this, and if we are going to do this, we might as well do that too. And so on. Next thing I know, all of the steering was in a junk pile along with all of the wiring in the boat and everything it used to connect. What the hell?
Property Furniture Building Table Wood

·
Registered
325 Posts
I love your posts and have enjoyed reading them in the past and the new ones! My love for these boats comes from my Dad as well so I know how you feel about these things and having our families continue with the tradition is as much emotional as it is fun. Sorry to see the troubles you had, but at least you are using the heck out of the old girl, that is awesome, i have two v drives and i am lucky if the each see 5 days of water a year, its a crying shame! That little white box you talked about is called a ballast resistor it takes the 12 volts coming from your battery thru the ignition and drops it down to 8 or 9 (i think) before it hits the coil and your points, if its not there you would smoke some distributor parts, newer ignitions do not use them as they need full voltage.

What came apart on the engine? I twisted up a motor a few years ago in my Spectra, trashed almost everything, we tracked it down to water filling up the block thru my logs, You sure did a number yours as well...

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
I love your posts and have enjoyed reading them in the past and the new ones! My love for these boats comes from my Dad as well so I know how you feel about these things and having our families continue with the tradition is as much emotional as it is fun. Sorry to see the troubles you had, but at least you are using the heck out of the old girl, that is awesome, i have two v drives and i am lucky if the each see 5 days of water a year, its a crying shame! That little white box you talked about is called a ballast resistor it takes the 12 volts coming from your battery thru the ignition and drops it down to 8 or 9 (i think) before it hits the coil and your points, if its not there you would smoke some distributor parts, newer ignitions do not use them as they need full voltage.

What came apart on the engine? I twisted up a motor a few years ago in my Spectra, trashed almost everything, we tracked it down to water filling up the block thru my logs, You sure did a number yours as well...
Hey thanks!
Re that little white ballast resistor: we took it in and got the "same" part several times but when we tested them, none worked. The "experts: couldnt explain it. Mine was so old that I wanted a backup on hand and when I couldnt get one, I gave in.

I picked up the hot rod engine cheap, figuring the parts were worth it but I had video of it on a run stand so when we got bored, we put it in. I didnt run it hard, never above 4500 and when it popped I had just cracked the throttle a bit more at about 2000. When I took it apart, it was obvious that a stock rod failed but I also found 2 more rods with finger tight rod cap bolts. I shouldnt have run it without having it torn down and checked but I didnt have the cash for that. I ended up trading all the good surviving parts and came out okay. Learning stuff later, those stock rods should have never been in there in the first place, the way that thing was built.

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Using it with the next two generations... (these are
Water Glasses Sky Goggles Sunglasses
Water Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Tubing Body of water
Water Boat Vehicle Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Watercraft Sky Boat Vehicle
Water Sky Smile White Hat
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Water Boat Sky Daytime Watercraft
Shoe Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting
Water Sky Water resources Mountain Lifejacket
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Vehicle
mostly last year)

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
more.. trying to get my fat ass up skiing, swimming in late November
Cloud Water Sky Boat Watercraft
Water Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Lake Travel
Glasses Outerwear Vision care Sky Goggles
Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Head Smile Lake Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Water resources Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle Wood

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
The logic sorta flowed like this: the engine has to come out to change the starter, so, that revealed the floor beneath the engine for the first time in 52 years where I could see chipping and peeling old resin on the floors that wouldnt just clean up, so, need to sand the floor, which, really needed sanding all the way up under the deck, so, everything else had to come out of the center isle. You may remember before that I was complaining about how loud my Casale was and all the things that I tried to do to quiet it down. Well, the only thing that worked was blocking off everything under the deck because it was acting like a giant boom box with the vibration that traveled under there along the giant stringer, so, I need a bulkhead up under there. Since Im putting a bulkhead, now I can change the whole steering system and mount the new steering parts to the bulkhead, which, takes us back to the rear of the boat where I pulled out the old steering parts and the tiller and revealed the top of the rudder and the make-shift rudder box. To make room to do all of the steering, I might as well pull off the old 2-7/8" exhaust hoses. I have a set of 3-1/2" teardrop exhaust ports that Smitty Weeks had made for his old Belmont wood boats that Ive been wanting to put on to better match the bigger exhaust logs I just put on with the rebuilt engine. I also have all the parts I need to put a vintage cav plate system on, to make things more versatile, so, I figured I better do that with the exhaust ports to ensure I have clearance for both. Logical, right?

Then Peter shows up and pointed out several other things that should get done while we are at it. Next thing I know, all of Dad's wiring is cut up in little pieces on the floor. No worries, he says it will only take 10 minutes to redo it. Then he reminds me that he doesnt like how far up under the deck my legs are and he says I sit so high it is like riding on a surfboard so he wants to cut the stringers down and move everything back. While we are at it, we can fill all of the stringer holes and re-glass the stringers. Huh?
WTF?

I kept hearing Dad in my head: If it aint broke, dont fix it. Well, to be honest, I've always wanted a bit more of a hot rod since we dont have the kids here much and we dont ski that much and Greg and Jeff are always driving circles around me. Ya know? So maybe all of this makes sense.

Im told that the look on my face was priceless when Peter showed up with the skill saw. After the shock of that, everything else was a piece of cake.

This is what we started with (except the carbs :
Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

I dont know why, but Al and Greg show up every day about 9 and we work thru till about 4 most days. Their help was priceless. Even in the heat.
Gauge Font Clock Wood Wall

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Machine Auto part
Shoe Building Automotive tire Automotive design Customer
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design

With all of this new(er) stuff, good time to replace the rest of the hardware Dad used 52 years ago.
See the wedged hardwood pieces sitting on the of the grinder below? Dad had those mounted to the top of the stringers to raise and tilt the seats.

Watch Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Gear
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Hardwood
Wood Automotive tire Naval architecture Floor Flooring

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 · (Edited)
Holy Crap! You are going to what?
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper
Leg Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Tire
Automotive tire Tradesman Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Workwear Automotive design Standing

Then on to sanding, grinding, more sanding, drill out the stringer holes, cut dowels, resin the dowels into the holes, more grinding and sanding...
Wood Road surface Asphalt Composite material Track
Wood Composite material Gas Beam Bumper

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Not a bad fit for a rookie

Light Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior
Wood Artisan Sunglasses Wheel Artist

Glass, more glass
Note my hatch door handle

Hood Automotive lighting Wood Automotive tire Bumper
Hood Wood Naval architecture Automotive exterior Vehicle
Wood Plumbing fixture Brick Floor Flooring

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior
Shirt Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire
Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Art Railway
Wood Vehicle Automotive exterior Asphalt Bumper

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
More glass, sanding, grinding etc

Wood Material property Tints and shades Natural material Rectangle
Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Naval architecture Automotive exterior Bumper
Wood Wood stain Floor Flooring Hardwood
Wood Engineering Composite material Naval architecture Hardwood
Wood Wood stain Plank Composite material Hardwood
Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Wood stain Pliers
Plant Road surface Asphalt Wood Composite material
Wood Composite material Hardwood Building material Concrete

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
While we are at it:

(Thanks Gary, Peter and Al)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Yellow Automotive design Motor vehicle Line Automotive exterior
Hood Wood Bumper Automotive tire Flooring
Asphalt Engineering Gas Composite material Automotive tire
Wood Yellow Floor Line Asphalt
Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Luggage and bags Textile
Hood Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Remember my vdrive noise complaint? I figure this will assist the bulkhead in killing the sound. I FILLED it with these. That alone dampened the noise from tapping on the deck so my hope is that it will absorb whatever vibration I still get from the shorter stringers behind the new bulkhead. (Hint: It worked!)

And now we start to drill new holes in my freshly repaired stringers. That was tough for me to do for a while but it got easier as I went along. I tried to drill as few as possible.

Product Hood Luggage and bags Motor vehicle Bag
Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Floor Table
Bicycle Wheel Tire Crankset Vehicle

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Awesome JT, keep the pics coming, I am so glad you are putting your heart and soul in to this, I don't post much but I still check everyday :)

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Moving the seats was something I had never thought of doing. Getting started with the stringers, I knew it was going to cause me problems with the seats and I cant afford to have them rebuilt. I just hoped that it would work out. Maybe not as good as before, but good enough. I really want to keep things basically how Dad built it and vintage 60's, so I try where I can. My original engine never pushed the boat above 59mph before and it did that comfortably with my fixed cav plates. The engine was tired and after the rebuild and some plate adjustments I picked up a little speed. I understand the concern about not having your legs up under the deck. Maybe not so much on a pure 59mph ski boat but maybe more so on a little bit faster hot rod ski boat. Looking to the future, I went along with this whole cutting the stringers and moving the seats back deal. We actually moved my seat about 6 inches back and at least 4 inches down. Moving the seat-back center section required narrowing the seat-back a bit to get it to fit. My seat is still comfortable but the grandkids arent going to like their middle seat much anymore. It will have to do for now. Maybe next year.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood Gas
Automotive design Wood Motor vehicle Engineering Shelf
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior
Couch Textile studio couch Wood Outdoor furniture
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Hood Bumper Trunk Automotive exterior Automotive design
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
On to the steering:
The original rudder was pretty thin and it turns out it had a slight bend in it, probably from hitting the underwater parking lot.
Got a new bitchin heavy duty rudder from Lance Stump at Custom Fabricated Metals - great guy, big help, nice work
Ill be going back to him for a new steel strut soon
I didnt like the rudder box I had so I replaced it with a new D21
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Hood Wood
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Auto part Bumper
Product Wood Chair Bag Beige
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Gas Wood stain
Road surface Automotive tire Fixture Asphalt Bumper

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
My old SteerMaster helm and the new one Peter made to adapt to a new post
Thanks to RCL and whomever else in Idaho helped me out with the steering parts!
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Engineering
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Metalworking Automotive design Mechanic
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Bumper

Automotive tire Wood Water Gas Automotive exterior
Wood Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Hood Bumper
Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 · (Edited)
I have never driven any other flatbottoms besides Greg's. He has a cavitation plate adjustment handle. I didnt mess with it. I also had never adjusted my fixed plates till late last year at Greg's urging. It sped things up but it also porpoised at the top end, which was new to me. Years ago I found an old hex cavitation rod, then the hardware and a Stellings cav handle with an over-ride pedal. I had no understanding how it worked in the water so I just hoped it was going to be a good thing. It is.

Before taking the plates off, I saw that the leading edge wasnt flush with the bottom of the boat. It was bedded into a recess but it stuck down slightly. Apparently this isnt great. When I removed them, I found that the associated 52 year old, non-stainless mounting hardware was indeed rusty and in need of replacing. After polishing the plates up a bit, I messed with shimming them so that they lay flush with the bottom along the leading edge. Then we re-bedded them into the recess, with the shims. At rest, they sit flush and neutral.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design
Table Wood Food Automotive design Floor
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Polishing sucks, patina rules

Table Furniture Desk Wood Gas
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Hex cav plate hardware - I COULD USE A COUPLE OF THESE BUSHINGS IF ANYONE HAS THEM - THANKS
They are hex cut on the inside

Font Material property Auto part Cameras & optics Metal
Bullet Wood Household hardware Font Nail

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Got it all lined up and clearing the new exhaust ports

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Made a piece to strengthen the transom and cover the original cav turnbuckle mounting holes
Thought black was a better contrast with the silver flake, just to break it up
We got the sheet, drilled all the holes and cut away for the exhaust ports and then Peter milled it to what it is - Thanks!

Motor vehicle Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Tool Art
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender

My buddy Hot Rod Bob who lived around the corner and constantly loaned me tools and gave free advice, sadly passed a few months ago. To my surprise, he left me a bunch of his tools including the 12" disk sander and a 14" band saw that we used to cut and clean up all the plates, brackets, mounts, etc - Thanks Bob!

Tool Air gun Gas Office equipment Engineering

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 · (Edited)
Re-rigging:
Sorry to see this crack in my bell housing cover - Had a spare

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Grey

Finally got to put on some sort of strut brace. Originally it was just 6 small bolts with regular washers and a locknut. The engine sat so low that you couldnt fit a finger between the bolts and the pan. The engine sits a bit higher now and clears it. We did one for the turn fins too.

Wood Road surface Flooring Sidewalk Asphalt
Wood Tool Bicycle part Floor Hardwood
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Mode of transport

Wood Gas Hardwood Tints and shades Audio equipment

Had to cut down the vdrive mounting brackets to match the lower stringers

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior
Wood Gas Font Bumper Machine
Wood Gas Art Metal Visual arts
Wood Automotive tire Gas Engineering Machine

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Decided to mount the engine on rails instead of the old mounts - long story, best option

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood
Vehicle Motor vehicle Track Railway Mode of transport
Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Automotive exterior Automotive tire

161 - 180 of 199 Posts