Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the plan was to complete my 19' Cougar V-drive (a virtual TWIN to my son's boat) and drag out to CFW to have them parked side by side (and run!) at the Fathers Day event. Unfortunately that won't happen now due to Steve's crash a few months ago. I'm happy and grateful he's was unhurt.
Anyway........here's my 1984 Cougar. Steve found it on E-Bay, and was located in North Carolina. Very rare boat, however what a mess from neglect or just lack of maintenance. I'll post some of the before pics here. Jocko

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's some pics after stripping it to a bare hull, which is very sound. Not one stress crack or 'extra' holes drilled in the stringers. I sold some of the ugly parts, then cleaned up the motor (actually a nice, fresh 477" Dart block T/R motor) and sold it. Jocko

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a few pics after epoxy painting the center tunnel and hand polishing the rigging. I think my fingers are now permanently gray!! Also the blower motor going in. (This is the motor that used to power Righty-Tighty's Sanger Cruiser) Jocko

Attachments

·
Steady Rollin
1,107 Posts
cant wait to see it finished!

I like the old headers better ;)

·
My Peace
670 Posts
How do these V-drive tunnels run? I saw one for sale at an NJBA race at Ming a while back (I think it was a Beisemeyer, but don't quote me on that) that had me really tempted, but I've heard they're not all they're cracked up to be, which is one reason they are so rare. What's the real scoop?

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do these V-drive tunnels run? I saw one for sale at an NJBA race at Ming a while back (I think it was a Beisemeyer, but don't quote me on that) that had me really tempted, but I've heard they're not all they're cracked up to be, which is one reason they are so rare. What's the real scoop?
The Cougar's and Eliminator Daytona's with center pods work excellent when rigged correctly. These boats are essentially just deep tunnel runner bottoms. The boat you refer to was probably a Brendella (never heard of a Beismeyer tunnel), which does not have a center pod. From what I understand they are evil handling boats.
Jocko

·
Registered
358 Posts
v-drive tunnel

I've got a 21 and love it now, there just a bit more finicky on the set up and prop, a lot of prop want to lift the tail but once you get the right one there bad ass

·
Hard Core Member
406 Posts
I wanted that boad bad but after talking to the guy I got the gut feeling it would look like your pictures when I got there! Glad to see it turned out so well.

I think you have talked to Unchained, his 21 Cougar is working real well now. One thing that is an issue with a hard launch is that you have much less cav plate area to work with than a flat or runner. Lots of down pedal needed!

·
A legend to the DNR
1,166 Posts
Looking good dave what kind of headers are them? Are you planing on going to Back to the fifties now I am.:D

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Looks awesome, Dave!! Please keep us posted with how it runs. Some video would be nice, as well...:D

·
My Peace
670 Posts
The Cougar's and Eliminator Daytona's with center pods work excellent when rigged correctly. These boats are essentially just deep tunnel runner bottoms. The boat you refer to was probably a Brendella (never heard of a Beismeyer tunnel), which does not have a center pod. From what I understand they are evil handling boats.
Jocko
You're absolutely right, it was a Brendella. Damn B-names! Thanks for clearing that up, very interesting. What constitutes a center pod? The boat I was looking at had 2 tunnels similar to yours, but I'm not sure how long it was.

Cool boat, BTW, looks awesome. Good job!

·
Mr. Potato Head
640 Posts
Dave I gotta say It looks great. Mabey this summer we can find a spot where there are no DNR around. I would come out your way if you had a spot to run the boat.

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
Where's Infomaniac on this....his Cougar was insane fast. Blue and white like yours. Beautiful job, BTW.
From what I know, as long as the center pod isn't deeper than the outer pods (like on a tunnel jet) the v-drive tunnels run real well.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wanted that boad bad but after talking to the guy I got the gut feeling it would look like your pictures when I got there! Glad to see it turned out so well.I think you have talked to Unchained, his 21 Cougar is working real well now. One thing that is an issue with a hard launch is that you have much less cav plate area to work with than a flat or runner. Lots of down pedal needed!
Yeah Jim, that kid really didn't know much about v-drives (or boats!). He only had it for a year, so it had been neglected previously. I basically bought anyway because you just cannot find these 19' Cougars for sale.
Thanks for the compliment. Dave

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking good dave what kind of headers are them? Are you planing on going to Back to the fifties now I am.:D
Hey Pete, how ya doin'? I just talked to Tony (Yooper) tonight and apparently 'Shake the Lake' will not be at Shawano due to that one prick homeowner and now the DNR. They're now going to Shakey Lake (sp?) in Michigan. I'm not yet sure I want to drive that far. BTT50's won't let in post '64 cars in so I won't be going.
Maybe I'll see you at Amato's Gun Lake deal in July.
You like those headers? My kid has another brand new set (fresh jet-hot coating) for sale. These are the old style Sanderson low-rise 'hydro' headers. They won't build them anymore. Jocko

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where's Infomaniac on this....his Cougar was insane fast. Blue and white like yours. Beautiful job, BTW.
From what I know, as long as the center pod isn't deeper than the outer pods (like on a tunnel jet) the v-drive tunnels run real well
You're right, Info's Cougar apparently ran into the 130's with the alcohol motor. I personally think his hull colors look much better than mine. Here's a pic of his boat.
As far as the center pods go, the Cougars are a bit more stable on the big end compared to Daytona's due to the center pod being even with the sides. The Daytona's center pod is down approx. 3/4" lower than the sides, allowing some side to side squirming around on the top end. They do run though, Unchained Daytona, my old black Daytona (smitt19) for example.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts