Performance Boats Forum banner

My dad's vintage Allison/Merc T2x Twister rig

11K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  TD. 
#1 ·
Finally got it running and took it to the champ boat race in Chattahoochee last weekend. This is a 16' Allison with a Merc T2x factory race motor. 15" mid, speedmaster lower, 99 cubic inch, over 200hp. Turned it 7600 with a 14:15 speedmaster and a 9-3/4 x 16 prop.

Lots more to figure out in the game plan, but neat old boat nonetheless...

Thought some of you OB guys would appreciate the roots of our sport. :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Allisons suck!

#9 ·
April fools!!!

#5 ·
529 boat is my dads. Those were shot last weekend at the Chattahoochee champ boat race...3 vintage race boats turned out...Jim Hunt, Kim Cleckler and my pop. My dad is sitting in the boat on the ramp and driving.

That T2x was the last inline Merc race motor built. They built the original Twisters (T1), then the T2, then the T2x. He's actually going to try to go after the SV kilo record with it. Currently held by Jim Hunt at 99.xx back in 1977 or something. SV = Supermodified V-bottom.

#12 · (Edited)
He's the one that got me into this whole mess. :D My first memory in life is standing between his legs driving his hold PowerCraft.

Here's the fam WAAAYYYY back:

Here's some from back in the day: Miami Marine Stadium around 1974 - dads first race and he WON:

Miami Marine Stadium around 1975, PowerCraft with Evinrude Super Strangler V4 factory race motor ~200hp:

Here's when he learned why you don't race your pleasure boat, around 1977 in Jacksonville:

Last one - Dad driving Bobby Pazos' action in Key Largo - Caribbean Club Memorial day races...proabably 1980ish?

#13 ·
The PowerCraft in the 2nd picture is the one I remember driving. To this day, I can remember what the lake scenery looked like. Not sure what it was called back then, but they later made it into Tropical Park in Miami.

The decked over PowerCraft with the SuperStrangler dad ended up flipping in the Miami airport lakes. The boat went all the way over and around...hit the tip of the nose on the water and broke off about a 6" chunk of the bow, then landed the right way up and came to a rest. He duct taped the boat piece back on and raced that weekend. :)

He was the one that got me into a STV. He's owned 3 now, and that's what sold me on them.

#22 ·
How come you didn't get an Allison Keith? Barney is making the move! Or so the rumor goes!!

#26 ·
Cool posts Keith!!

I wish I could get my dad off the couch.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.