Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
What do you guys think about challenger hulls. i bought a 76 challenger with 460 ford and a Berkley jet for $5400.
Nice boat!:)devil Have you had it out yet? How's it run? What kind of speed and RPMs is it running?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took it out once when i bought it for about 30 min to make sure everything worked .before i was able to do much a wire that the previous owner used to hold open the choke open broke and flooded it out . we held it open to get it to the trailer.

I'm taking it out in tomarow.
it has a 5500rpm rev limiter,not sure if it will hit that?
I'm not sure of the speed

·
Registered
5 Posts
nice boat. i have a 74 18' challenger and my buddy has a 76 challenger. good boats. we both have bbf's and berkeley 12je pumps. they both run about 58-60 mph.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I grew up in a challenger jet boat. Loved that thing, I was about your kids age when my pop got it. We went through it together and owned that thing for many many years. My pop finally sold it 4 years ago and bought a gull wing. The gull wing thing must be a disease, everybody's doing it! LoL Heres a pic of the old boat.

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
I grew up in a challenger jet boat. Loved that thing, I was about your kids age when my pop got it. We went through it together and owned that thing for many many years. My pop finally sold it 4 years ago and bought a gull wing. The gull wing thing must be a disease, everybody's doing it! LoL Heres a pic of the old boat.

Nice - gotta love that choppy puke tank known as Lake Perris :)devil

Cool pic

·
Registered
193 Posts
nice first boat.got my first at 20 and last at 59 couple years ago,like yours, aslo have a bbf.not so stock though.enjoy.

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
What do you guys think about challenger hulls. i bought a 76 challenger with 460 ford and a Berkley jet for $5400.
Nice. looks mean sitting there:|err

·
Registered
911 Posts
My first boat was a 79 with a Jacuzzi jet. 468 with a T-Ram. Probably ran right around 60. It rode and handled well, but was really heavy.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Challenger

The first brand new boat I bought was a 1976 Challenger. It was orange with yellow trim, brown interior on a yellow Giroux trailer. Had a Ford and a Berk "e' pump. Had it for 7 years. Bought that Challenger at Dean Marine in Van Nuys, CA.. A couple of years ago bought another 76 Challenger and used it for one season. Ran great and then sold it and bought a Sanger Picklefork which I still have...had a lot of fun in both Challenger's..never had a problem..Just for your information, when those boats were new they had the same style of front and rear seats like you have. The two front seats had the higher backs and all of the interiors had that diamond pleat to it..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Two of my friends had Challengers. One still does. Great riding boat. Is it just me or do nearly all of these Challengers come with BBF 460? Every single one I've seen had a BBF. WTF? Where's the Chevy love?

·
I never hit bottom.
193 Posts
Two of my friends had Challengers. One still does. Great riding boat. Is it just me or do nearly all of these Challengers come with BBF 460? Every single one I've seen had a BBF. WTF? Where's the Chevy love?
I got mine hull and trailer minus engine. It was rigged for a BBC. I just happened to have a BBF from my previous boat and re-rigged it. :)

·
Registered
988 Posts

A buddy of mine has a 514 BBF with a jacuzzi in his 76. I have 79 with a 468 BBC in mine with a Berkeley jet. I really like the hull. Im dealing with some setup problems and would eventually like to step up to a daytona but i love this boat. most ive seen have fords. the older ones had a set back pump. wish mine did.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts