Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
5,842 Posts
That's a lot of motor for a Kurtis, hope you got someone knowledgable on set up helping you out. Don't get me wrong, they are good boats. Back in the day I ran one consistantly into the 130's. And I had a lot less motor that you do.
So did 5-0 give you any crap over the zoomies at Modesto. Been there in our ski boat, but didn't think you could get away with any unmuffled exhaust.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do stupid stuff the sheriffs are cool. Do your hot lapping away from the public, don't give the roll bar boats/family boats any reason to complain. The motor came out my hydro, it was the motor I ran in Pro Mod. I plan on detuning it soon. Smaller cam, less boost, ect. It will be fun getting it setup.

View attachment 46804

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
So straighten us out a little bit here, your first sentence says something the effect of my first flatbottom to make it to the water with the help of some friends. Is this the first flatbottom you have ever driven? The sentence is like understanding bible scripture. If that is your first flat, you and your family may want to get real into the bible cause what you put together is no joke. Enlighten us here, this is interesting stuff, F1~:)bulb

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've driven a flabottom about 18 years ago, maybe about an hour total, (80 -90mph)a friends boat. I've never owned a flat before this one. I bought this boat about 6 weeks ago. Friday was the first time I drove this flat or any flat 18+ plus years. I've run 170mph+ in a Kurtis hydro (open boat), use to run the 7 scond bracket with the NJBA

·
Old Timer
935 Posts
That's a lot of motor for a Kurtis, hope you got someone knowledgable on set up helping you out. Don't get me wrong, they are good boats. Back in the day I ran one consistantly into the 130's. And I had a lot less motor that you do.
Is there an issue with Kurtis Kraft flats going over 130? Back in the '80s I saw Carter Reed in a BAF at Chowchilla end up in a lot of small pieces, (the boat not Carter). It didn't blow over or chine in, it just went into the water half track poof !!! Just curious.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I went and looked at that boat probably just befor you bought it. Did you put a whirl-away in it? those are some big ass gas tanks. The bottom was very solid and all the hardware is very big. It was all suposidly hand made and rigged by an enginere. Looks like a handfull. have fun and nice boat.

·
Distinguished Member
5,842 Posts
Is there an issue with Kurtis Kraft flats going over 130? Back in the '80s I saw Carter Reed in a BAF at Chowchilla end up in a lot of small pieces, (the boat not Carter). It didn't blow over or chine in, it just went into the water half track poof !!! Just curious.
I never thought I had any problems with mine, but I had a lot of people (Carter was one of them) tell me I was going to fast in a Kurtis. I will say I won more races with my Kurtis than I did with both my Canyon's combined. That said, I believe the Canyon is one of the safest flattie hulls out there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I never thought I had any problems with mine, but I had a lot of people (Carter was one of them) tell me I was going to fast in a Kurtis. I will say I won more races with my Kurtis than I did with both my Canyon's combined. That said, I believe the Canyon is one of the safest flattie hulls out there.
That Yellow Canyon had a winning record just put a small block back in it.

Hee haww:)bulb

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hullshot,
I'm sure it's the same boat. It has two Imco 18 gal. tanks, there still in it. I'm going to pump fuel from one tank into the bullet tank. I upgraded to 1 1/8" prop shaft with a whirlway. I changed the cav. plate shaft to 1" aquamet 22, it has 2" of plate travel now. To the other question the boat is a "79" Kurtis 500, it's registered as a 1980 model

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cody,
I wish mine to looked as good as yours. I didn't post any pictures of the hardware, it needs some work. This winter I'm going to replace, polish and anodize. You guys need to add TAH/TAF class, the Calif. guys are looking for somwhere to race. I can't make it up for the July race.

·
Distinguished Member
5,842 Posts
That Yellow Canyon had a winning record just put a small block back in it.

Hee haww:)bulb
That yellow Canyon is just fine as it is. We made 2 finals in 4 races after me not having driven in 15 years. We haven't closed the deal yet but's it's coming. SBC's are cute little motors, but I'll take a blown alcohol BBC any day, thanks anyway. :)devil

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.