Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....And it was mine!
First off thanks to everyone for going on and on about thier Gullwings, and how awsome of a ride they are!
Because of all of you on these forums I knew my next boat had to be a Gullwing if I wanted another performance boat.
I bought this boat 2 weeks ago. (Never even rode in one of these before) Drove out to Oklahoma (20hrs there) picked it up and drove back (24hrs with 4hrs sleep). I had enough time to back it into my driveway, hop into my work truck and head into work Saturday night. I know, crazy! Never doing that again!
Today: I went out to lake Piru, one of our local lakes which is known to be blown out. While driving I looked down apon the lake. F--in white caps I could see, but right next to the dam was a glassy spot. I thought what the hell its 92* and I really wanted to drive this thing (still cant believe I waited 2 weeks for this). It took very little effort to get this boat up on plane, it rode on top of the choppy water so smooth. The ride is nothing compared to any of my past V hull boats. The ride quality is there so now I just have to work on EVERYTHING else! The rigging, motor, pump...ect...pretty much everything.
The boat: 1987 TX 19 Condor. 2000 Gen.5 454, w/ Comp Cams 292dur., .550 lift (int. & exh.) Holley 850cfm. MSD ignition.
Dominator MB12S Pump with shoe & ride plate.
Thats pretty much all I know right now. From the performance today I can tell the motor and pump need some serious freshing up but hey, its a start!

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
congrats man:)devil condors are good boats, the bottoms are pretty thick compared to others. if that pump is stock, that droop is a dominator droop with a dominator place divertor. you'll find out that the sockert in the droop and ball of the divertor are larger on those pieces then what they make today. a new place divertor will not fit that droop, it'll have a large gap all the way around the divertor and just blow out orings as soon as ya step on the pedal. the rideplate will be warped all to hell by now too, put a straight edge on it and you'll see. i miss my 87 condor but see it often and the new owner keeps in touch. all those condors with dominator pumps were set-up the same way, no matter what motor the customer picked. another fyi, your suction housing is the dominator with the small wearring, a berkely sized wearring will not fit in the suction housing.

check the tanks and make sure the fiberglass holding them down is still goood. when i got my condor they were both flopping around in there:)sphss

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice looking TX.I have one and IMO think they are one the best all around Lake and Performance jet boats on the water.I use to run a CP 18 tunnel that was great for cove racing but wasn't worth sh_t in big open water.The lake I run on is at least over 30 miles across it and the TX is the way to go.My TX now run comparable to the CP I had, and weighs a hell of a lot more.:D

·
punk ass kid
524 Posts
Nice work Nate!!! Who the hell would ever go to Piru??? :)hand :)hand :)hand Soon enough we will be able to do that again, its been a long summer already

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Nice boat Nate. Oklahoma is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG haul. The good news is I have brown vinyl. You never sent me your adress but now I am pretty sure I know why. I am not really sure what other color would go good on there. Very nice boat.

Cy

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice Hot Rod Nate Congratulations !
JBP- thanks for the fast service on the rack and pinion steering! Delivered to my house the very next day, and it was the same size as my old one (I never measured it).:D

IMPATIENT 1 - thanks for the heads up with my set up.

Boost- thanks for keeping a watchful eye out for any gullwing that came up forsale....(I still wish I bought that Green CP)

Moneysucker - Check is in the mail for some Gullwing stickers!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. It's going to be a project boat, just not sure how much of it I can do (limited on space and time).
I did get a GPS # on it...a blistering 62.4mph!! I have ALOT of work to do!

·
Got Circus Midgets???
1,734 Posts
So are you comin out to Castaic Sunday? :)hand

·
Got Circus Midgets???
1,734 Posts
I have to work this weekend. Not going to have another weekend off untill Labor Day.

That sucks! We'll have to do it another time:)devil.

·
LAID IN MEXICO
750 Posts
looks good

so much potential! your gonna have a sweet ride when its done. i got my blower back and im ready to fire mine. cross my fingers. keep in touch, labor day is coming. i want to see that thing. buy my oil pan so i can bring it up there and see your boat.:D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. :)devil

Hope you have fun for many many years.

S CP :D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update:

After kicking a rod out Memorial Day Weekend I finally started tearing into the boat. I'll just say that I got a smoking deal in Oklahoma on this boat and now...well now I know why. lol
I am going to stick with it. Thanks to everybody else to has posted up their gullwing builds/restos along the way. Did a search and saved alot of good info from this site.

Motor carnage:

Cracked/rotted out stringer:

Did Ervan Capps lay up some Condors with a ski locker? Never seen another gullwing with this. My bow is solid. I walk right down the center and it doesn't flex or anything. My plan is to make it a little river racer. I want to start taking weight out of this thing but would feel a little bit better knowing how it was built. The foam and subfloor are gone, I would like to not replace any of it.
I gotta pull the gas tanks out and would like to pull the ski locker and bulk head out as well. Gives me better access to the stringers.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
After kicking a rod out Memorial Day Weekend I finally started tearing into the boat. I'll just say that I got a smoking deal in Oklahoma on this boat and now...well now I know why. lol
I am going to stick with it. Thanks to everybody else to has posted up their gullwing builds/restos along the way. Did a search and saved alot of good info from this site.

Motor carnage:

Cracked/rotted out stringer:

Did Ervan Capps lay up some Condors with a ski locker? Never seen another gullwing with this. My bow is solid. I walk right down the center and it doesn't flex or anything. My plan is to make it a little river racer. I want to start taking weight out of this thing but would feel a little bit better knowing how it was built. The foam and subfloor are gone, I would like to not replace any of it.
I gotta pull the gas tanks out and would like to pull the ski locker and bulk head out as well. Gives me better access to the stringers.
N8, I don't know if Ervin Capps did this boat or not! But, you have a solid boat that needs some attn.
The floor in mine is a piece of 3/4" plywood that is sandwitched between the stringers covered in carpet! The ski locker that you have is a nice touch but does take alot of room! I have only the one bulkhead in the front and one piece that runs from the bulkhead to the bow eye standing up! The deck seems strong! You will get some deck shake with all of that stuff removed from under the deck! Check out my thread and you can see what it takes! You have a nice boat that will work good when finished! WT:)devil

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
leave the floor out, it gives you more room, lighter boat:)bulb

1 - 20 of 28 Posts