Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it has a bay jet pump on it and i would like to put reverse on it, how would i go about finding parts to do so? need the cable and the pivot peace but don't know how or where to find them?

this is all i really know about it now!
1988 Dragon Craft 19' jet boat
bay jet jet
355 Oldsmobile rocket motor.

any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
First things first, Take that plastic valve OFF. trash it.....then before you do anything.. leak it down, If you don't know how, find someone who does.That way you will know it the "rocket 455" is a rocket or a ROCK. Thats where I would start. let the fun begin looks like you have work to do:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
you mean leak down test the motor? i have had it on the water once but that did not go well!! lol had a little to much water flow for the headers and battery was junk!

plastic valve????? never mind found it!!! whats wrong with it?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
that is the most unique use of a tarp i have ever seen. Ive only seen v-drive dragon crafts in the past i had no clue they even made it in a jet. very different looking boats for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still have the boat. has a different 355 olds in it now. first one the cam came threw the oil pan with out hurting the block!! how i dont know.

the tarp seats is the way it came, did not last long lol. i hate the boat its loud and slow!!! lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have some Dragon Craft stories from the old days but I refuse to tell them because you would cry. BayJet was somewhat common in the days your boat was made. Can be built up to work fairly well. If you want it done right Jack McClure @ MPD still knows how to work on them. From what I see I take it you will eventually want this to be a "Nice and Unique" riverboat. Certainly can be done, over time and with money and elbow grease. You say 355 are you sure it's not a 455 big block? If it truly is a small block I would recommend more CU's. With the Dragon Craft don't design anything into it that would cause it to go over 85... just sayin.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have some Dragon Craft stories from the old days but I refuse to tell them because you would cry. BayJet was somewhat common in the days your boat was made. Can be built up to work fairly well. If you want it done right Jack McClure @ MPD still knows how to work on them. From what I see I take it you will eventually want this to be a "Nice and Unique" riverboat. Certainly can be done, over time and with money and elbow grease. You say 355 are you sure it's not a 455 big block? If it truly is a small block I would recommend more CU's. With the Dragon Craft don't design anything into it that would cause it to go over 85... just sayin.
i believe the 355 and 455 olds are the same block!!

a friend of mine just got a 355 olds..........looks identical to my 455 olds...........

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Welcome

Unique looking hull , has some potential ! The Bayjet although produced in very limited numbers and long since out of production, shares alot of Berkely type parts . The Jet can be made to work well with some mods and upgrades Re the Olds , nearly all late Olds V8s share a great deal of similar parts and will swap out easily sans some flex plates and dampners and in some cases power takeoffs Tom

·
Registered
106 Posts
355 are not as wide as a 455 they are not the same block. one is a small block the other is a big block. this engine has k heads on it which are big block heads. which can be put on a small block. what is the numbers on block right by the oil fill pipe?

·
Jet boat service
126 Posts
Welcome to jet boating. The Olds blocks are different, although the heads will inter change. Both the 350 and the 455 are 39 degree blocks. The bore on the 350 is 4.057 and the bore on the 455 is 4.125. The 455 has a big 4.250 stroke crank. Casting numbers differentiate the two blocks. Look at the base of the oil fill tube, if it is a 455, the casting # will be F396021. The 350 will be 395558 or 557838. As far as your bay jet goes, a Berkeley nozzle adapter should fit if you mill off the ridge on the flange. If you are still looking for a Bay Jet nozzle assembly with reverse, I have one. Jim catch me on a PM. :wink2:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome to jet boating. The Olds blocks are different, although the heads will inter change. Both the 350 and the 455 are 39 degree blocks. The bore on the 350 is 4.057 and the bore on the 455 is 4.125. The 455 has a big 4.250 stroke crank. Casting numbers differentiate the two blocks. Look at the base of the oil fill tube, if it is a 455, the casting # will be F396021. The 350 will be 395558 or 557838. As far as your bay jet goes, a Berkeley nozzle adapter should fit if you mill off the ridge on the flange. If you are still looking for a Bay Jet nozzle assembly with reverse, I have one. Jim catch me on a PM. :wink2:

oops, my friend has a 350...

don't really know much about olds,(except 455)...

my friends 350 olds looks identical to my 455 olds!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts