Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to work in over the past couple of weeks. I wanna work on stuff in the evenings for a couple of hours but my garage is Crazy Hot.. How hot is it?? Like open the door, then slam it shut real quick, in case Satan tries to sneak out hot.. So then I go back to the TV and watch more Deadliest Catch re-runs.... I'm bored.

My garage is not rocked or insulated. I know I should, but don't have the money or interest.. Is there any store bought A/c or Swamp cooler that will work?? How big a unit do I need(A/c-- I'm o.k. on the rest:D)?? How long does it take to cool your place.. How's your power bill??

Thanks!

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
to work in over the past couple of weeks. I wanna work on stuff in the evenings for a couple of hours but my garage is Crazy Hot.. How hot is it?? Like open the door, then slam it shut real quick, in case Satan tries to sneak out hot.. So then I go back to the TV and watch more Deadliest Catch re-runs.... I'm bored.

My garage is not rocked or insulated. I know I should, but don't have the money or interest.. Is there any store bought A/c or Swamp cooler that will work?? How big a unit do I need(A/c-- I'm o.k. on the rest:D)?? How long does it take to cool your place.. How's your power bill??

Thanks!
Your suposed to quit at noon like I do.

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts

Thanks!
Man, I was throught the central valley coming back from SoCal yesterday... Freekin 113 degrees in Buttonwillow @ 4pm... Was glad to roll over the Altimont and see the fans on...
Sorry I can't help on the AC question but I'm guessing bigger is better...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
i have a 1600 s.f. shop off hwy 88 in stockton with 2 12' high metal roll up doors that face west. can't even go there till after 7p.m. on the weekends lately been able to work there till about 2-3 p.m. then have to go home. if you are looking for a cooler check out www.port-a-cool.com this is going to be my next toy if i decide to keep my shop.:)grn

·
Precision Craft Marine
1,563 Posts
For every 500 sq ft of area, allow one ton of cooling. My shop work area is 3500 ft, so I have two 3.5 ton units on the roof. always over size for leakage and no insulation. Joe

·
Registered
138 Posts
30x30 rocked no insulation.pitched evap cooler last year during monsoon season and put in window a/c. About $350.00 bucks at Lowe's.Pulls temp down from 115 to 80 in about an hour. Our elec went up about $75 a month.Worth every penny.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For every 500 sq ft of area, allow one ton of cooling. My shop work area is 3500 ft, so I have two 3.5 ton units on the roof. always over size for leakage and no insulation. Joe
Thanks but I'm already in the $500/month club for my electric bill. I was thinking more budget oriented.. Like a water mister infront of a fart fan that was wired in reverse..:D

30x30 rocked no insulation.pitched evap cooler last year during monsoon season and put in window a/c. About $350.00 bucks at Lowe's.Pulls temp down from 115 to 80 in about an hour. Our elec went up about $75 a month.Worth every penny.
That's more my style of what I was thinkin'..My garage is about the same size as well.. How often do you run it for $75/month??

·
688 Posts
My father in law has a 2400 sq ft shop in Hesperia. He has a large swamp cooler at one end opens a roll up at the other end about a foot. He turns it on about 7 am and when I get there at 8 we're ready to roll. His swamp cooler is a large one but he never complains about power being to high.
:D:)coffee

·
Too Many Toys
280 Posts
Hot Garage

Wow, I am glad I don't live in your area Neil!
I work on the boat in the garage in the early mornings. When my back dosen't hurt that is. Tons of block sanding. During the summer around here, (Fresno) I sometimes start working at 4am. Stop by 8 or 9am. Or when my arms feel like they are falling off. Making ready for paint is more work than the actual painting. Gotta have an indoor hobby for the summer days or get the wish list together reading Summit and Rex.
Keep cool, PC

·
V-Drive 4 ever
1,810 Posts
Swamp coller is gonna be your cheapest electric bill .. i have a roof mounted swamp cooler on the house and run it from around 10am to around 10pm .. its alot less then any A/C unit to run and the nice thing is they always put out a nice Breeze you can stand in front of when ya come walkin in from outside which will cool you off quick ... another trick to get temps cooler with a swamp cooler is Freeze your own Blocks of ICE and toss them in the pan of the cooler amazing how much cooler it will blow .. where i live you see alot of swamp coolers . just remember for a lrge room you need a Big cooler . i bought a small one for a house i rented and was pissed i got a small one .. cool one room but that was it .. anyway i wouldmyself put a swamp cooler in a garage instead of an actual a/c unit . thats my opinion tho ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks but I'm already in the $500/month club for my electric bill. I was thinking more budget oriented.. Like a water mister infront of a fart fan that was wired in reverse..:D

That's more my style of what I was thinkin'..My garage is about the same size as well.. How often do you run it for $75/month??
i have just about 500sp ft garage rocked but not insulated. I put in a window AC. takes about an hour to make it comfortable. 200 bucks at home depot on willow and shaw. I anticipate 50 a month bill for 5 hours a day. And it's super quite.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
it's been in the 112's here lately... We only have fans in the shop (approx 1100 sq ft) & an A/C in the office... Guess where I spend all my time........

·
Precision Craft Marine
1,563 Posts
Well why dont you buy a plastic kiddie pool and do your work from there. They cost 29 dollars at wally world.:)hand

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT!! It has been getting WAAAY to HOT lately!! Yesterday while we were working on the HONCHO down here in Carlsbad, around 11:30, it got up to 77degrees! We didn't have a fan or any type of AC...so we mixed a cocktail...Seemed to help!! Maybe you all oughta try this solution:)bulb:confused::D

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT!! It has been getting WAAAY to HOT lately!! Yesterday while we were working on the HONCHO down here in Carlsbad, around 11:30, it got up to 77degrees! We didn't have a fan or any type of AC...so we mixed a cocktail...Seemed to help!! Maybe you all oughta try this solution:)bulb:confused::D

If my memory serves me well...............Seems to work good in 110 Deg.

weather also. :D

·
Nuclear Powered
1,281 Posts
Get the biggest wall unit Lowes sells (240V is best), cut hole in wall.

I have a 20x30 metal building in Phoenix Arizona. My a/c unit will cool down the place in 10 minutes from 107F to 75F.

I usualy keep it set at 90F all summer. My bill added about $35 a month (including bumping it down to 75 when I used it).

Other than cooling it down, I also noticed it does not get dusty inside anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm calling B.S. on this one. Your ice is looking very melted. No way is it 77. At least 79 and perhaps 80 by the looks of it (which looks pretty nice by the way.. Vodka and Cranberry??.. yum..)..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts