Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. As i am sure is par for the course i got towed in this weekend in shame..

Got a new carb that was super lean and it ate up a couple of plugs. By the time i figured out the pinging was a busted ass plug i was sittin on the island and stuck. Luckily there were a couple of Amigos camping out for the night that towed me back in. I tipped them 3 gallons of gas for their trouble.

I dont have any pics of the tow as my phone was not with me. but I do have a couple of the plugs... Its nasty!!!

I have had the carb rejetted and tweaked by a pro. I also ordered a new set of plugs so this issue is now resolved. But maybe could be a lesson to someone else. And yes i am sure this issue is now resolved. I trust my guy exstensively and should have never touched this carb with out his assistance. Per his own words "Your lucky you did not burn up a cylinder".

Old carb

New Carb

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What was wrong with the old carb, I will take it if your done with it.Let me know.What size? LOL:)devil:)devil:)devil

Actaully i no longer own the original Carb. It was a holley 850 DP that i traded for a 750 DP. I have a 350 SBC so that 850 was a little large for my application.

However the new carb was, i beleive, on a 454 but the jets on it were 4 sizes smaller than stock so im a bit confused how that 454 was running with that small of jets. Either way my guy hooked me up with new jets, power valves and some kind of super, anti-stick (not just the blue ones), gaskets and bolts, some other odds and ends and got me all set up.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i see metal on 1 of those insulators, he might not be that lucky:)st

run a compression test and a leakage test on it

I sent the exact same pics to my guy and he actually had the plugs in hand and didnt think so. Can you show me what your seeing so i can bring it to his attention?

Edit: However i will run a comp test tonight. I have comp readings from a couple of weeks ago so i should have a good comparison.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
I sent the exact same pics to my guy and he actually had the plugs in hand and didnt think so. Can you show me what your seeing so i can bring it to his attention?
see the speckles all over the insulators? sometimes that's piston material, i just mentioned it because i would check some things before runnin it again if it were mine just to be 110% sure or you can trust your guy:D

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
see the speckles all over the insulators? sometimes that's piston material, i just mentioned it because i would check some things before runnin it again if it were mine just to be 110% sure or you can trust your guy:D

Thanks bud. Ill run it by him just to make sure. Ill also run that compression test to see if my readings have changed since the last comp test.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
My guy, My guy, Talking bout my guy aye aye. My guy.:)gay:( :D
i have friends that say that to me from time to time and i just smile and ask "is your guy gonna pay for parts if shit ain't right?" usually shuts em up:D

del, what carb did you put on it?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
I went from that 850DP Holley to a 700DP Holley. Did you need the specific casting numbers off it? If so i got them some where.
nah, was just wondering how it went from 1 extreme(rich) to another. its just odd. i assume tanks a well vented and fuel pressure never dips below 6-7psi at wot?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nah, was just wondering how it went from 1 extreme(rich) to another. its just odd. i assume tanks a well vented and fuel pressure never dips below 6-7psi at wot?

Well those pics are from two totaly different carbs. Once i put the new carb on there it cleaned up the plugs and ate them....Fuel pressure is SOLID as a rock at like 7.5 PSI.

His anitial diagnosis of my issue was that the floats where way off and the jets were completely too small for what i was doing causing a super lean enviorment. As i had attempted to adjust the floats i probably screwed my self on those but i had not touched the jets so they were just low. Considering it came off a completely unkown motor with different spec than mine i say i was a dumb ass for not having it looked over before i ever even touched it.

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,828 Posts
i have friends that say that to me from time to time and i just smile and ask "is your guy gonna pay for parts if shit ain't right?" usually shuts em up:D

Yes, my mechanic pays for all the parts.:)hand See MY GUY working on the boat down there? :)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

Yes, my mechanic pays for all the parts.:)hand See MY GUY working on the boat down there? :)
now youre talking bout "my guy". aye aye... this my guy is a pretty popular fella.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think the reason it worked on the 454 is that the bigger engine had a lot more "signal" (draw or whatever you want to call it) thru the carb than your 350 so it could pull more fuel thru those jets than your 350 could.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the reason it worked on the 454 is that the bigger engine had a lot more "signal" (draw or whatever you want to call it) thru the carb than your 350 so it could pull more fuel thru those jets than your 350 could.
Very posible...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
UPDATE.. i dont think this is good

Compression test on Cyl 4 & 6 lost 60 PSI since last test a few weeks ago (It is now 90 PSI down from 150 PSI a few weeks ago.). All other cylinders might have had a 1 or 2 PSI difference. I went and borrowed a air compressor so a leak down test tomorrow. Cyl 4&6 were the plugs with the most damage on them...

So with that kind of loss should i pull the head regardless of the leak down test? Or could positive results from the leak down mean i dont need to pull the head?

Only other changes to the motor besides carb is i have gone back thru the valves to readjust since i took the last comp readings. Dont know if it matters but would throw it out there.... Maybe i should recheck my lash on those two cylinders....

So i guess i should rephrase my original comment. My Guy definatly fixed my carb issue but i may have other problems he didnt look into.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'd check the lash on the valves and try another compression test if you find they are out of adjustment, if they are spot on then a leakdown is just going to confirm that you are going to be pulling the heads.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.