Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the last day of the quarter. We've talked ourselves blue in the face, especially the last couple of weeks. I'll be damned if I'm going to let him f-off another quarter. Fwiw he's 15 almost 16 first year of high school. He's only passing one class ..english. I've tried bribary,grounding,ect. My hope is after a quarter of home schooling he'll get a clue and want to go to class. Any insight from anyone who's tried the home school deal. I'd send him to a private school if I thought I could afford it.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Today is the last day of the quarter. We've talked ourselves blue in the face, especially the last couple of weeks. I'll be damned if I'm going to let him f-off another quarter. Fwiw he's 15 almost 16 first year of high school. He's only passing one class ..english. I've tried bribary,grounding,ect. My hope is after a quarter of home schooling he'll get a clue and want to go to class. Any insight from anyone who's tried the home school deal. I'd send him to a private school if I thought I could afford it.
Please don't take this wrong, but from your post it seems like he's decided he's running the show.

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts

I'm guessing he's running with the wrong crowd. If is friends are douche bags or druggies you are really in the soup. You can bet he's using. There is obviously something else going on here.
I don't know what the answer is my boys are only 10 and 8. Let us know what you figure out.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
The question is really are YOU prepared to Home School??

Val (Debbies daughter) Home schooled here final year due to her car crash injuries. She was an A-B student in school. She self studied with little supervision and graduated. BUT, IMHO, home schooling is a cop out in general for kids today. Her so called tests and study work was a joke.

Her younger brother Jeffrey was a freshman 4 years ago and was in the exact spot you describe. I kept him home for 3 days straight, worked him from 8:00 AM until dark every day cutting rounds and splitting wood from a big walnut tree that had fallen over on our property.
After 3 days I told him that He could expect to work like that, solid labor, all his life if He chose to not study. It did not "cure" him, but He did understand.
Last summer (Year ago) they both decided to move to Sac with their Dad. Val was 18, and always wanted to return there, so that was expected. But Jeffrey went solely because His dad would allow him to "home school" his final year (He is a senior now), just like all his friends do. (Deb and I were FIRMLY were against him home schooling)
Now, His dad goes to work, Jeffrey lays on his nut sack until noon, then goes and screws around with his other "home school" buddies until dinner. He has to attend like 2 hours, twice a week. That is it.
I told him to quit wasting his time and just get his GED and go to work, since He already f*cked off his HS years.

My opinion? Big mistake. Freshman is WAY to soon to give up, which is exactly what home school is for lazy or bored students.
Home schooling to me is for kids who are on the ball, have to travel, or have acting jobs or some thing going on above and beyond High School. Not for those who are looking for the easy way.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please don't take this wrong, but from your post it seems like he's decided he's running the show.
He's sure trying......As far as running with the wrong crowd, who ever said the comment was/is spot on. I'm calling a realtor today, to look into moving.

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Military school. My brother in law screwed off in high school big time. His parents sent him to off military school. He is now an extremely successful stock broker and financial advisor. Seemed to have worked great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Set a tent up in the backyard for him. If he doesn't want to go to school, give him a taste of what it's will be like if he wants to slack off all day. Let him come in to shower and use the bathroom, but that's all he comes inside for. Give him canned foods, a can opener, and a small camping stove. If he wants stuff like a TV, than give him some labor intense chores around the house and pay him $10 an hour so he can buy one. If he thinks he knows whats best for him, than give him a chance to figure it out. This way your still providing a roof over his head. TOUGH LOVE!!!!

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
The question is really are YOU prepared to Home School??

Home schooling to me is for kids who are on the ball, have to travel, or have acting jobs or some thing going on above and beyond High School. Not for those who are looking for the easy way.

All true, Mrs Mb home schooled both kids for a couple years because our oldest son had a life threatening illness. She did a virtual public school, www.connectionsacademy.com which was a very structured and kicked up. She had to be totally dedicated to be their learning coach(they had an official teacher) and it was not easy for her to get cooperation at all times. Kids have to be very self motivated to be successful and if you are thinking you can turn on the computer on leave for work it ain't gonna happen. I must point out that both boys test scores went form proficient to advanced during their virtual school years.
Both boys are now in public school...we'll see what happens from here.

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
He's sure trying......As far as running with the wrong crowd, who ever said the comment was/is spot on. I'm calling a realtor today, to look into moving.
You'll spend the money to move, but not military school etc.?

It would have cost me $40K to sell my house and buy another...

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Home school could just creat other problems for him such as social issues. When and if he goes off to college he will not have had the social interation that you gain in high school. Im telling ya, boarding school or military school. Its the only way to go. At least move him to another high school before you home school him. His friends are the issue for sure.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
What Thatguy posted was really decent. At the age your son is the only access he has to the problems is what you allow. It really comes down to how much conviction you have and what you're willing to do to stop the bad behavior. One of the best things you could do is step back emotionally and actually look at the situation objectively. Figure out the pro's and cons(all the cons) and then try and work up a game plan. My old mans mo was much the same as Tommy's(Thatguy) when I was growing up. I actually worked with going to school. I ended up going to Military School for High School. It was kind of a vacation compared to what I was used to.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Thats just geography.
Please don't be offended, but You need to be the boss here.
When you react to your child's behavioral "whims", they are in fact running the show.
I have had 4 kids, now all 18 or older, plus Debbies 2 kids.
I can assure you, moving will not change anything.
There are certain basics that I employed with fair success.
The #1 biggest mistake I see today is parents engaging the kids in debate over the Parents decision.
When I said "No", that meant no.
Debbie had the habit of letting the kids argue with Her until She got pissed and gave in. Parents do NOT have to qualify their decisions to the kids. You can if you want, and sometimes I would if it was something they could learn from.

After a year or so She would say "Why don't they argue with you? You never have hit them or anything mean, but they listen to you."
Simple, I do not engage their debate, just ignore it completely. When I said that I would sell his KX if He did not carry B's on his report card, I sold it the day after I saw one C on his 3rd quarter in 10th grade.
Don't threaten, spell out the consequence for an action and if He does it, no yelling, no arguing, just do what you said you would.
Remember, kids follow parents, not the other way around. Good luck!
(BTW, growing up has a way of curing a lot of what you are seeing. Jeffrey, now almost 18YO, gave up pot this year on his own when I told him no pot heads work in the oil field. Drop outs Yes, but not pot heads!))

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
bring him to me for a couple wks;) i'll straighten him out for ya and he'll be sayin "yes sir, no sir" when ya get him back. i tried my dad once when i was 15, when i woke up from it ,i did what i was told:)sphss;) it became real appearent to me that when my dad said his house, his rules, he phucking meant it:D he was a very strict man, but told me he loved me everyday and hugged me at least twice during the day. i run my household the same way, firm but loving:)bulb

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Home school could just creat other problems for him such as social issues.
I can tell you from personal experience thats total BS. The whole social issue is a big cop out. And just maybe they are missing out on things that you really don't want to have an influence on them.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts