Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Seriously off center
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in a week or so. I've been looking for something larger than the Circus boat so I don't get beat to hell by choppy water. I made a trade today for a 1989 Commander 21' open bow. It has been neglected for a few years (it's a bit "rough"), but some detailing, re-rigging, and interior work and it'll be perfect. A colorsand and buff and the gel will be like day 1. It has a stock marine 460 with a Jacuzzi WJ. It has a hydraulic Place diverter, but the PO didn't know how to mount the cylinder, so he just made link to hold the nozzle in place :)sphss The engine sounds strong, no noises or leaks. This won't be a fast boat, so I'll keep the urge to build the motor in check. The wife is happy because it has a bimini and a "pee" step.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just bought a boat very similiar to this and the gel coat was way worse looking than yours. I bought a three M rubbing compound product and it came back awesome, after a couple days of rubbing. I'm by no means a fiberglass guy so I wouldn't want to think about getting into color sanding,but I was surprised that it would even be able to look the way it does. Good luck, with some elbow grease I'm sure you'll be happy.

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
sweat new to you family truckster whats in store for the circus boat?

you were in town I must have missed your call:)sphss:)hand to check out the new shack

·
Seriously off center
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Circus boat will come home this winter for a little "freshening". After that, it'll probably be the off season and weekday boat, and this will get summer weekend and lake duty. It doesn't have a ton of freeboard, but I just can't see myself in some big assed wienie boat. Dana has his eye on the Circus boat already.....

·
Registered
582 Posts
love the open bow

That looks like a great family boat, will definantly keep you from having to decide who rides when. If you arent going to redo the apholstry for right now you will be amazed what a mr clean magic sponge will do.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts

·
Is it Summer Yet?!
607 Posts
You work for DMV or something?
Please don't be offended. IMO I would think that boat you got is worth 2500-3000 bucks. I HATE the DMV.

SO, I was thinking it were a 90's bronco?

I dunno. I just want to know what the current market is with open bow jets. No need to disclose what your trade was worth if you don't want to.
I just ask these questions, I want to know if someone made a good deal.:)devil

·
Seriously off center
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please don't be offended. IMO I would think that boat you got is worth 2500-3000 bucks. I HATE the DMV.

SO, I was thinking it were a 90's bronco?

I dunno. I just want to know what the current market is with open bow jets. No need to disclose what your trade was worth if you don't want to.
I just ask these questions, I want to know if someone made a good deal.:)devil
I'm happy with the trade. The Bronco is a '79, 400, well optioned originally. I would put the value of the boat over $3k as is, but that's only because it's an open bow. The downside..... the Jacuzzi and it being a Commander. I'm looking to keep this and use it, so resale value isn't that big of a concern.

·
Seriously off center
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks great!! I know you will get her back in shape!!:)hand
If you think I buffed the hell out of the Stevens, this'll make that look like a weekend wax job. I just don't have to strip paint on this.....:D

·
Seriously off center
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was kinda chuckling when I read that too. :D

Walk in the park Mike.......
Bringing this one back shouldn't be that big of a deal. It should come back to showroom with the exception of the upholstery, but even that will be presentable with a little new wood, a little glass, a few hundred staples, and some baby oil (rumor has it it will help soften weathered vinyl). The Circus boat started this way..... it just took a little while to make it what I wanted. At least this one isn't yellow.....:D

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
Bringing this one back shouldn't be that big of a deal. It should come back to showroom with the exception of the upholstery, but even that will be presentable with a little new wood, a little glass, a few hundred staples, and some baby oil (rumor has it it will help soften weathered vinyl). The Circus boat started this way..... it just took a little while to make it what I wanted. At least this one isn't yellow.....:D
my buddy tom showed me kerosen it awsome cleaner/conditioner for vinyl

·
Registered
335 Posts
Looks great! Nice winter Project. Makes me miss my Biesemeyer even more, thanks for that, lol.:)st

You'll have fun in it. For the short time I had it my 21', it was EVERYONES favorite ('cept me). Hopefully I can score something as nice as what you have to start with this winter.

What's wrong with Yellow?

Ray

1 - 20 of 28 Posts