Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Left LB about 8:45 Wed. night for the river....got caught up in traffic on the 10 before indio while they were doing construction...that lasted about an hour and a half. Got to the river about 1:30 or 2...can't remember.

Put the boat in the water Thurs. morning...noticed a "running water" sound after I tied it up at the beach. After some investigation, noticed one of my cav plates bent like a pringles chip (dunno WTF happened there) and uncovered some previously used holes in the bottom of the hull. Boat came back outta the water, spend the afternoon fixing that.

Boat back in the water on Friday morning...let the chick drive. She was making a pass and all of a sudden a couple pops and dead in the water. Paddled in and made it to our beach. The nut fell off of the alternator lug, where I have my main power wire tied in. My box o' tricks only had 1/4-20 nuts...no 1/4-28 nuts. Crap. Went to parker, got the right nut....back up and running.

Fire it up to take a quick run down to the beach by the hotel to see who was there and it takes a crap halfway there...no spark. Got towed in to the ramp by the hotel and a ride back up to BR Rv park. Got the truck and went down to the lower ramp to pick up the boat. I'm kinda pissed. Get the boat on the trailer and just used the bow strap...figured I'm only going a 1/2 mile...don't need the other 3...I was wrong.....hit the brakes coming down the hill into the RV park and the boat slid forward and put a nice crater in my tailgate. Dammit. Tied it to a tree and pulled it back right on the trailer. Proceded to get drunk that night while sitting safely in my beach chair so I couldn't **** up anything else. Woke up in the morning and diagnosed a crapped out MSD box. Went to parker and found one at Parker auto parts. got somemore goodies and $300 bucks later and back at the park. wired up the new box and fired it...cool, lets put it in the water. Ran it all afternoon and nothing broke. Chick was driving it up to ramp in the evening to pull it out and it sputtered, then quit on her approach...followed by a nice emission of electrical smoke....200 feet from the ramp. Flagged a guy down on a sea-doo to tow it in after I yelled at her to hit the deadman switch.

The big hot and ground wires on the MSD cooked the insulation off of them. I can't see any evidence of arcing against anything metal in the area, so maybe the box shorted out inside? I dunno.

Bad accident on rice road on the way home...rollover and another car on fire (I wasn't involved...apparently the guy upstairs figured I'd already paid my dues this weekend)....road blocked, only way through was off road. My truck is pretty low (from the factory)...and I picked a nice line through the brush managing only to tear off my rear valance...which happens to be a $400 part at the dealer...plus paint.

Oh yeah...almost forgot. Saturday after fixing the MSD issue, the alternator fan (behind the pulley) decided to cry uncle and come apart in 3 pieces....at least the bottom of the boat and the gas tank slowed it down before it hit my leg. Since I can't seem to assemble to assemble a 2 piece rear main seal chevy motor without oil seepage, the exposed wood from the impact in the bottom of the boat is now soaked with oil. This should be fun to fix.

on the brite side, I only went through 2 alternator belts this weekend.

Can't wait to do it again

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Wanna buy?

Left LB about 8:45 Wed. night for the river....got caught up in traffic on the 10 before indio while they were doing construction...that lasted about an hour and a half. Got to the river about 1:30 or 2...can't remember.

Put the boat in the water Thurs. morning...noticed a "running water" sound after I tied it up at the beach. After some investigation, noticed one of my cav plates bent like a pringles chip (dunno WTF happened there) and uncovered some previously used holes in the bottom of the hull. Boat came back outta the water, spend the afternoon fixing that.

Boat back in the water on Friday morning...let the chick drive. She was making a pass and all of a sudden a couple pops and dead in the water. Paddled in and made it to our beach. The nut fell off of the alternator lug, where I have my main power wire tied in. My box o' tricks only had 1/4-20 nuts...no 1/4-28 nuts. Crap. Went to parker, got the right nut....back up and running.

Fire it up to take a quick run down to the beach by the hotel to see who was there and it takes a crap halfway there...no spark. Got towed in to the ramp by the hotel and a ride back up to BR Rv park. Got the truck and went down to the lower ramp to pick up the boat. I'm kinda pissed. Get the boat on the trailer and just used the bow strap...figured I'm only going a 1/2 mile...don't need the other 3...I was wrong.....hit the brakes coming down the hill into the RV park and the boat slid forward and put a nice crater in my tailgate. Dammit. Tied it to a tree and pulled it back right on the trailer. Proceded to get drunk that night while sitting safely in my beach chair so I couldn't **** up anything else. Woke up in the morning and diagnosed a crapped out MSD box. Went to parker and found one at Parker auto parts. got somemore goodies and $300 bucks later and back at the park. wired up the new box and fired it...cool, lets put it in the water. Ran it all afternoon and nothing broke. Chick was driving it up to ramp in the evening to pull it out and it sputtered, then quit on her approach...followed by a nice emission of electrical smoke....200 feet from the ramp. Flagged a guy down on a sea-doo to tow it in after I yelled at her to hit the deadman switch.

The big hot and ground wires on the MSD cooked the insulation off of them. I can't see any evidence of arcing against anything metal in the area, so maybe the box shorted out inside? I dunno.

Bad accident on rice road on the way home...rollover and another car on fire (I wasn't involved...apparently the guy upstairs figured I'd already paid my dues this weekend)....road blocked, only way through was off road. My truck is pretty low (from the factory)...and I picked a nice line through the brush managing only to tear off my rear valance...which happens to be a $400 part at the dealer...plus paint.

Oh yeah...almost forgot. Saturday after fixing the MSD issue, the alternator fan (behind the pulley) decided to cry uncle and come apart in 3 pieces....at least the bottom of the boat and the gas tank slowed it down before it hit my leg. Since I can't seem to assemble to assemble a 2 piece rear main seal chevy motor without oil seepage, the exposed wood from the impact in the bottom of the boat is now soaked with oil. This should be fun to fix.

on the brite side, I only went through 2 alternator belts this weekend.

Can't wait to do it again
Wanna buy a simple one wire, no power required, Mag???? Never have another ignition problem.......Sounds like a "hellofaweekendatseasir", but hey, the shitty day(s) on the water has to be better than the best day working......I'm serious about the MAG, MSD might be bitchin' for asphalt, but I hear more and more failure stories in boats.......20 race seasons with a simple mag and never an ignition issue, never........Ray

PS Same 8 spark plugs for 15 years!!!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Wanna buy a simple one wire, no power required, Mag???? Never have another ignition problem.......Sounds like a "hellofaweekendatseasir", but hey, the shitty day(s) on the water has to be better than the best day working......I'm serious about the MAG, MSD might be bitchin' for asphalt, but I hear more and more failure stories in boats.......20 race seasons with a simple mag and never an ignition issue, never........Ray

PS Same 8 spark plugs for 15 years!!!!
The spark plugs are your problem Ray...Time to change them. Hell of a weekend there Chief. I'd have to say that once my tailgate was dented i'd of hung it up...

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Ray, I have had similar week ends like this but they are all forgotten when that stellar week end comes along where you have no problems, the company is fun, the water is perfect and you get that feeling of heaven on earth. I hope your next outing is the later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.