Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive quite a bit, all over LA, OC and the IE.
In years past, I drove even crazier amounts (duh, had the office in downton LA and I live in Riverside, would rattle off about 60-70K miles per year).

I've always said that on a holiday weekend, the best time to leave is between 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.. The eraly crowd is already gone; and the late crowd not yet out the door.

Today I left Canoga Park at 5:30p.m., and made it to my door at 7:00 p.m.. That's about 75 miles of Eastbound travel, with pockets of rain and one motorcycle accident.

Kid you not, 5-7 is the time to leave. :)

·
2 miles from the water
443 Posts
I cured that commute by moving to AZ

3.8 miles to work and sometimes I give myself an extra 2-3 minutes if its Harley weekend or memorial day

and a tank of diesel lasts almost a month:)devil

I hate traffic

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
Heading out to the river on a friday night, we always wait until 6:30-7ish. We watch the news and traffic before we leave, get the kids bathed hardly hit any traffic. We end up pulling into Havi at 12....it works great!

·
Rebel
270 Posts
I cured that commute by moving to AZ

3.8 miles to work and sometimes I give myself an extra 2-3 minutes if its Harley weekend or memorial day

and a tank of diesel lasts almost a month:)devil

I hate traffic
Did you ever get around to having a couple of teeth removed so that you "fit in" a little better?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
That theory ssems to be ok in the summer time but try that t day weekend going to glamis.

For the bi wekend river trips i just leave sat early am. and come home first thing mon morn usually on the road by 7 am.But only works if my family doesnt go.

·
Rebel
270 Posts
No...Im trying to dress up the trailer park a little with a full grill:)grn

How the hell are you...its been a while
Remember, you can't polish a turd :D

I'm doing good, one more week in Texas and then back into the rat race in So Cal. Gonna miss working daylights with weekends off.

Sorry for the jack Craig.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Traffic hits and misses

It is true, about traffic that is.........Even during the morning commute, there are little gaps, pockets of light traffic. Some are 10 minutes, some 15, but I can tell a difference on the 101 eastbound into the SFV.......Once in the valley, forget it........The "get away" days are a crap shoot at best. Once headed totally away from LA out the 14 it lightens up at certain times, as mentioned. The dinner hour, 5:30 to 7:00 or so seems to be lighter than before and after those times. I have found the best time to get out of town is the wee hours of the morning. Leave around midnight and have smooth sailing all the way to Vegas and/or Needles.......I also prefer to travel in the cool of the night. Even if its 100 degrees, the sun is not adding to the heat. Cooler roadways save wear and tear on the tires and allow engines and transmissions to run cooler as well. The fact that I only have 2 70 A/C is another reason I travel at night. The miles seem to go faster when you can't see the same horizon for hours at a time, and there are less morons on the road during the predawn hours.......Everyone be safe out there this holiday weekend. Show a little compassion for your fellow traveler, give someone a break into your lane, or allow them to enter from a gas station into heavy traffic at a signal. You would be amazed at how "catching" it is, and they will be more apt to give the next guy a break.....10 or 20 seconds won't delay your journey by much, and the kindness will grow 10 fold............MP

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
It is true, about traffic that is.........Even during the morning commute, there are little gaps, pockets of light traffic. Some are 10 minutes, some 15, but I can tell a difference on the 101 eastbound into the SFV.......Once in the valley, forget it........The "get away" days are a crap shoot at best. Once headed totally away from LA out the 14 it lightens up at certain times, as mentioned. The dinner hour, 5:30 to 7:00 or so seems to be lighter than before and after those times. I have found the best time to get out of town is the wee hours of the morning. Leave around midnight and have smooth sailing all the way to Vegas and/or Needles.......I also prefer to travel in the cool of the night. Even if its 100 degrees, the sun is not adding to the heat. Cooler roadways save wear and tear on the tires and allow engines and transmissions to run cooler as well. The fact that I only have 2 70 A/C is another reason I travel at night. The miles seem to go faster when you can't see the same horizon for hours at a time, and there are less morons on the road during the predawn hours.......Everyone be safe out there this holiday weekend. Show a little compassion for your fellow traveler, give someone a break into your lane, or allow them to enter from a gas station into heavy traffic at a signal. You would be amazed at how "catching" it is, and they will be more apt to give the next guy a break.....10 or 20 seconds won't delay your journey by much, and the kindness will grow 10 fold............MP
Give em a break... Nice words... Wish that everyone else felt that same way Ray. Sure is nice when someone gives you a break into a lane or intersection...

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts