Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many of the people on here know what big supporters we are of Alzheimers research and were aware my dad's brother (my uncle) had a very severe case that literally killed him. He passed away last week. We are very saddened by this. He was a great, giving, smart, beautiful, gentle man. It was terrible to watch this disease turn this strong man into an empty shell.

Frank pretty much lived most boyhood dreams!
He built a 32 that won best of show at the Oakland Roadster show and made the cover of HotRod mag among many others.
He was a Cowboy, a Soldier, Hotroder and an Actor.
He was an antique gun collector and did articles and writeups for almost every gun mag out there.
He was a father
a brother
a friend
a son
He was my uncle.

RIP Uncle Frank. :)

Here are some pictures of him with friends and family. The top middle picture is Frank with Kevin Costner during the filming of Dances with Wolves. He was a historian that was hired by many film makers to make sure their movies were period correct. He had an old timey look that directors liked so they always found a place for him in the movie. He played Lt. Tucker in Dances.

If you would like to see the photo bigger, click here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellodaly/3391096774/sizes/l/

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Alzheimers is an ugly disease and not just associated with old people. I had a friend who passed away at 62 after battling the disease for 5 years or more. Very sad to watch a vital and intelligent man wither away until there is nothing left. My most sincere condolences to you and your family, your uncle is in a much better place now.

·
Is it Summer Yet?!
607 Posts
He was a GREAT man.

I love him too! Uncle frank- Thanks, and I hope you're in a better place now. You're missed for ALL that you were here on Earth.

:)devil

You lived it up buddy!!!!
Live Hard- Die Fast!!!!
:)handSee you so0n!

·
Is it Summer Yet?!
607 Posts
Many of the people on here know what big supporters we are of Alzheimers research and were aware my dad's brother (my uncle) had a very severe case that literally killed him. He passed away last week. We are very saddened by this. He was a great, giving, smart, beautiful, gentle man. It was terrible to watch this disease turn this strong man into an empty shell.

Frank pretty much lived most boyhood dreams!
He built a 32 that won best of show at the Oakland Roadster show and made the cover of HotRod mag among many others.
He was a Cowboy, a Soldier, Hotroder and an Actor.
He was an antique gun collector and did articles and writeups for almost every gun mag out there.
He was a father
a brother
a friend
a son
He was my uncle.

RIP Uncle Frank. :)

Here are some pictures of him with friends and family. The top middle picture is Frank with Kevin Costner during the filming of Dances with Wolves. He was a historian that was hired by many film makers to make sure their movies were period correct. He had an old timey look that directors liked so they always found a place for him in the movie. He played Lt. Tucker in Dances.

If you would like to see the photo bigger, click here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellodaly/3391096774/sizes/l/
With ALL the LOVE in the world-

I hope some day my kid or my Nephew writes about ME like this....
Thanks for being honest, and telling your feelings from the heart, bro.

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Alzheimers is a most hideous disease. :|err
I have a good friend who's mom was diagnosed 10 years ago. They spend 12K/month for her care. She doesn't know who anyone is and at this point she has lots of problems and doesn't even remember how to take a shit.
Its just horrible seeing the toll its taken both emotionally and financially on the kids.
God speed to your uncle.
Lets all pray there is a cure someday.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good words BR. You have had a bad run the past few months. I think you need to buy another boat and take a vacation and float for a while the clear your mind. ;)

Godspeed to your Uncle.
Thanks for all the nice genuine replies! :)

Yeah, we have had a tough yr. For some reason, it is death after death and bad stuff happening. Although we are doing great. We both have our health and have good jobs and still own our house..LOL.

We are keeping a good out look on things. Can't let this stuff get you down. :)devil

·
skiing Parker since 1960
645 Posts
Sorry, really sorry, for your loss. I'm getting ready to head to Idaho, my Mom was diagnosed 3 years ago ( 80 yrs. old ). My 85 yr old Dad THINKS he can take care of her by himself ( he's a STUBBORN old coot :D ) Luckily my little sister lives nearby and helps out a lot. I promised her years ago that when the time came, I'd be there and she wouldn't have to do this deal alone. She told me a couple weeks ago, "it's time" :( So, I'm going up for however long it takes for my Pop to get used to the idea of living apart from Mom, they've been married for 62 years. Not gonna be easy, but, it is what it is.

·
R.I.P. Dakota
255 Posts
Sorry for your loss. My grandmother and father died of alzheimer's. My father lived with my wife & I for the last 8 years of his life. My father was without a doubt THE smartest man I ever knew. It was surreal to watch the disease reduce him to an empty shell of a man. There is NO dignity in dying of alzheimer's.....................after watching my father I would take a painful bout with cancer over the disease that robs you of your mind & soul.
Sorry to be such a downer.................I just have strong feelings regarding this disease.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts