Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nakediguanahouse.com/newport_beach_bars.html

'Naked Iguana House' targeted by city inspectors Balboa Peninsula bungalow's cabanas, stripper poles and hidden hot tub draw attention.
By JEFF OVERLEY
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

NEWPORT BEACH - For Jim Jones, the "Naked Iguana House" is home. Newport Beach inspectors want to know if the bungalow – with its stripper poles, hidden hot tub and beer-filled vending machine – doubles as a very colorful business.

To find out, a small brigade of investigators representing four city departments recently descended on the Newport Boulevard dwelling, which derives its moniker from a Lake Havasu watering hole.

On the back porch, they took note of thatched palapas, keg-chilling refrigerators, a slot machine, a smoke-breathing tiki head, a stripper pole that rises on a hydraulic lift and a vending machine that lets weight-conscious guests choose between Diet Dr Pepper and Bud Light.

"The question is, is he basically operating a bar, a restaurant, a nightclub, or some kind of other commercial use?" said Patrick Alford, city planning manager.

Jones, 45, calls the whole affair a "freaking hassle" marked by "harassment" and "cockamamie" allegations.

"Just a bunch of fun haters," he said of city officials.

That's not to say the trucking-company owner hasn't invited attention. Things started five years ago, when Jones says he was forced to raze a previous owner's un-permitted addition to the rear of the house. Irritated with city staffers, Jones says he constructed the back patio playground as "an act of defiance."

And that was just the start. In addition to the outdoor lounge, for example, the home's interior design looks like a collaboration between M.C. Escher and Hugh Hefner, with concealed floor panels opening to reveal staircases, a hot tub and a below-ground bedroom decorated with faux fur rugs.

Last year, after surveillance operations observed what the police believed to be drug deals, police obtained a search warrant and raided the Naked Iguana House. Authorities discovered 24 grams of cocaine and 231 pills of Valium, according to police Sgt. Evan Sailor, and court records show Jones last month pleaded guilty to felony narcotics charges.

Then there's the NakedIguanaHouse.com, a flashy site that includes pricing for bachelor parties ($500–$1,000), weeklong summer rentals ($2,500–$3,500) or movie shoots ("contact us"). Photos show buxom blondes baring cleavage, slurping cocktails and kissing one another under the bamboo cabana, while testimonials sing the Naked Iguana's praises.

"Words literally can't describe the naked iguana, no bs!!!" says one comment from a purported customer. "My friend who rented the house with me and a few friends calls it the playboy mansion of Orange County, and it's true!"

Jones, however, says the whole pitch was a fabricated "smoke screen" and that he's never rented the place out. The photos are just of his friends, he says, and the testimonials are bogus.

Regardless, it appears the days of the Naked Iguana are numbered. Reversing the unpermitted improvements would be a mammoth task, so Jones has applied for a demolition permit.

If he can't sell the house – it's now on the market – Jones says he'll pursue plans for a three-story building combining a tanning salon, apartments and a private bar, a concept that might be allowable in the residential-commercial zone along Newport Boulevard.

Meantime, the city investigation continues. A resolution could take a while, but NakedIguanaHouse.com, in an all-caps description of the pad, sums up things well: "THIS IS NOT YOUR NORMAL BEACH HOUSE."

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Sounds fun....

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think anyone would be hungry coming from there ....

Anyhow, I was thinking about this article and he had to piss someone off ...
Someone definitely dropped a dime on this dude big time....

-R32

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hey Rick ,

Are you same guy who shared a teppenyaki table at Shogun,Havasu, with my Aussie mate a few weeks ago ?

Regards

Dan

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeup that be me. he sent me a emailand i havent had enough time and picture of my rocket to get back to him. Nice man, wonderful family.

Best,
R32

·
Registered
435 Posts
We have been friends for 20 years ,He said the same about you and your family.

He is a mad boater thinks Havasu is the best place he has been .The world is a small place

1 - 7 of 7 Posts