Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what rods are stuffed in this thing? Crank is Scat and I'm thinking the rods might be as well but I'm not sure

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
Aside from Eagle, Scat, and Manley, don't expect to see a name on the bolt except possibly ARP's, and a bolt type, 8740, 2000 or L19. The L19 is extremely doubtfull.
The only rods I have ever seen that made no attempt to remove weight from the big end around the shoulders like those is a set of older Manleys I have. But I doubt they are Manleys.
Just for fun, I sent the link over to the engine balancer I use (I have known him over 30 years). I have an idea but looking for confirmation.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Engine was assembled in 04 or 05 and he didn't seem to skimp on anything else I would hate to think he did here but who knows. These are what's in the alky motor in the hydro. Not sure if you can read the letters or not but here goes

Attachments

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
So do those say "SPS" on them?

Those are a Carrillo bolt, and the first photo shows the letter marking on the side that is also an indication of a Carrillo rod. The angle on the top of the bolt is a "stroker cut" for clearance.

On top of that,, my engine balancer says that at one time Carrillo was changing the machining process inside the beam because Eagle was trying to mimic them, and you can see the three lines in this rod instead of one.

As he also stated, it would be easier to tell in person.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
So do those say "SPS" on them?

Those are a Carrillo bolt, and the first photo shows the letter marking on the side that is also an indication of a Carrillo rod. The angle on the top of the bolt is a "stroker cut" for clearance.

On top of that,, my engine balancer says that at one time Carrillo was changing the machining process inside the beam because Eagle was trying to mimic them, and you can see the three lines in this rod instead of one.

As he also stated, it would be easier to tell in person.
Definitely a SPS bolt. THAT IS NOT A ARP!
They could very easily be Carrillos. When I wound two older Manelys of a odd size they no longer produced (6.635) I picked up a set of 6 Carrillos that were very very similar but a tad heavy on the small end that I was able to offset by removong from the piston. They look very much like those. Like I said in my earlier post, Manleys had not detail work to remove weight from the big end. Neither did the Carrillos I bought.
Your right Barry, they could very possibly Carrillos.

The one thing that tells me they might not be is the broach looking cut across the ribs on the cap, in addition to the mill spot facing for the bolts heads. I would have to double check my Manely and Carrillos when I get home. But I don't remeber them having that broach cut across the cap rib. Seems entirely unnecessary.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
Definitely a SPS bolt. THAT IS NOT A ARP!
They could very easily be Carrillos. When I wound two older Manelys of a odd size they no longer produced (6.635) I picked up a set of 6 Carrillos that were very very similar but a tad heavy on the small end that I was able to offset by removong from the piston. They look very much like those. Like I said in my earlier post, Manleys had not detail work to remove weight from the big end. Neither did the Carrillos I bought.
Your right Barry, they could very possibly Carrillos.

The one thing that tells me they might not be is the broach looking cut across the ribs on the cap, in addition to the mill spot facing for the bolts heads. I would have to double check my Manely and Carrillos when I get home. But I don't remeber them having that broach cut across the cap rib. Seems entirely unnecessary.
OK,, so now you made me go look,, I have a couple of different Carrillos here,, on set SBC,, no broach cut,, but the BBC does, and it has the SPS CARR bolts that I am told are unique to Carrillo.

My first clue was the letter stamp, don't think I have seen any Chinese rods that do that.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Metal shavings after the last time out! Nothing bad caught it early enough that it's just a bearing swap and back together. Motor will be back in tommorrow and ready to go for next weekend.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
OK,, so now you made me go look,, I have a couple of different Carrillos here,, on set SBC,, no broach cut,, but the BBC does, and it has the SPS CARR bolts that I am told are unique to Carrillo.

My first clue was the letter stamp, don't think I have seen any Chinese rods that do that.
Thats interesting about the broach cut across the ribs on the BBC rods but not the SBC. I will have to check both the Manley and Carrillos tonite.
I know what you are saying about the letter stamp on the side, Never seen that in a Chinese rods either.
Carrillo is about the only company using SPS bolts, although not all Carrillos come with SPS Carr bolts, they do use SPS bolts almost exclusively. Virtually every other rod manufacture has gone to ARP or MSAerospace. The fact that it is a SPS bolt makes me think even more that they are Carrillos, specially after you say the caps on yours are cut that way.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
Thats interesting about the broach cut across the ribs on the BBC rods but not the SBC. I will have to check both the Manley and Carrillos tonite.
I know what you are saying about the letter stamp on the side, Never seen that in a Chinese rods either.
Carrillo is about the only company using SPS bolts, although not all Carrillos come with SPS Carr bolts, they do use SPS bolts almost exclusively. Virtually every other rod manufacture has gone to ARP or MSAerospace. The fact that it is a SPS bolt makes me think even more that they are Carrillos, specially after you say the caps on yours are cut that way.
I think based one what I was told, different aged Carrillos may have been machined to differentiate them from the Chinese "copies". I have a few loose BBC Carrillos with one or two different letters,, might take a look at them later. I also have a few very early Carrillo taper beam rods.

Also,, some early Carrillos had the big end heavy enough to use as a club, very noticeably different than later versions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts