Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
So lets see some FACTS of how ethanol CAUSED a motor failure and not just some BS statement you pulled out of your ass.

I think you have taken the title as the least credible.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Yeah....

Yeah, that's almost as crazy as blaming an engine failure on an oil filter brand!!... :)st:)sphss

IMO, some of the big buck cup teams might be cutting some corners in their engine shops... The NASCAR scene is not immune to the economic downturn the country is experiencing.... What I find rather amusing about NASCAR is the car "brand" hype. The is nothing from the major automotive brand inside those engines. (or frames or suspension, or brakes, or body parts, etc etc...)
The engine's outside might look like a GM, or Ford, or even Toyota, but the guts are pure aftermarket parts and pieces. Another thing about NASCAR, after an engine failure the fans never see what it was that actually failed. Whereas in NHRA the broken parts/pieces are usually left in plain sight for fans and TV cameras. And, yes, I know, there are NO Ford parts in Force's funnycar. In defense of the original poster, it is possible that the E85 may create some tuning issues that cause the engines to lean out. Possible, but very doubtful.....
Ray

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe Ford cast's the blocks for Force and Bob Tasca. I know, they have nothing to do with street cars. Also Toyota does not make a V-8 with the cam in the block. They are OHC, except in NASCAR. If it flies, floats or rolls and has an engine in it, I will probably watch it.

·
No Sandbar To Far
3,276 Posts
If they are it's probably because of weight and mileage.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I believe Ford cast's the blocks for Force and Bob Tasca. I know, they have nothing to do with street cars. Also Toyota does not make a V-8 with the cam in the block. They are OHC, except in NASCAR. If it flies, floats or rolls and has an engine in it, I will probably watch it.
There is no way John Force racing is using cast blocks.

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Billet

There is no way John Force racing is using cast blocks.
I agree. Force has a huge collection of Haas CNC machines that most likely spit out Billet blocks/heads all day long... The days of water jackets is looooog gone, those suckers are solid, and knowing the way Force and Austin Coyle did things, most likely some aluminum alloy that has yet to be invented..... Or identified.... I know Coyle built a blower dyno years ago. It had/has a huge flywheel on it to duplicate the instant engagement of the "hit"....In an interview a few years ago Coyle was asked what they did with the blowers that didn't meet their specs. The answer, "We sell them to our competitors".... Same with clutch discs, test, and sell the marginal ones to other racers....
Ray
PS Sorry to get of subject.....

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Ray, I am beginning to wonder what you know about this. His name is Austin COIL As in Farkonas, Coil and Minick. Also, if you don't think you can blow up an engine using a Fram filter, allow me to buy the next Fram for your Pro Stock and I will be gald to demonstrate it for you.

geterdone, although I am not a big fan of putting even 15% ethonal in a race gas, never forget 100% ethonal is the ONLY fuel used at Indy since 2007. And not one team has ever clainmed it blew up their engine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Coil/Coyle

geterdone, although I am not a big fan of putting even 15% ethonal in a race gas, never forget 100% ethonal is the ONLY fuel used at Indy since 2007. And not one team has ever clainmed it blew up their engine.[/QUOTE]

Bob, I've seen it written both ways, and never really though about it that much... I do know that Force was an also ran for years, ("Brute car") before him and AUSTIN got together in the 80s... AND, I still don't understand how you could demonstrate an engine failure using a Fram filter that wouldn't blow with just about any other brand filter... Yeah, yeah, you've mentioned the COLD 50wt, but that would be about the same with any filter if not warmed up a bit... Again Bob, Gotta be going on 5 decades using Fram, and I really can't blame the oil filter for any of the ex/im plosions.... I've even used the stockers, good old PH13s, or PH8As on Fords or the early remote adapters that required Ford filters regardless of the engine type... I HAVE listened to the naysayers and bought the high dollar Wix, or Baldwin, even a couple of K&Ns, and never really saw any difference. (come to think about it, there was a Baldwin on the 468 engine that kicked the rods at the Beach in 09)...As I recall, the 04 engine in the PS boat had Fram all year, (#2 Nationally), same for the 08 engine, (#1 Nationally). Both were little stroke 440s, but they made it all year both times... Both of those were blown up starting the NEXT season at Parker, and neither one had bearing issues leading to the failure...(Both were wrist pin/piston failures, and we mistakenly believed they had "One more race" in them.....) There was a Fram Engineer that posted here or HB and had plenty of test results to throw at the Fram Haters, but again, IMO, most, if not all of the engines that failed would've failed regardless of the filter brand.....Just speaking from what little experience I have, AND I STILL LOVE MY MAGS...:))THumbsUp:D:D
Ray

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
So lets see some FACTS of how ethanol CAUSED a motor failure and not just some BS statement you pulled out of your ass.
It's not going away anytime soon thats for sure, but it does have it's issues in our combination for sure.
The #1 issue we have been dealing with is it is more temperature sensitive than what has been used in the past, which has led to a few failures. The heat problem is mostly due to car design, and poor airflow through and under the car (for aero reasons).

That, and the stuff is only 98 octane! :angry:

·
Village Idiot
3,464 Posts
Warp, so it is just like everything else where there is a learning curve to the fuel. I heard there were a couple "High-Tech Rednecks" working in the Hendrick engine area, and I bet they just might figure it out in spite of the Huge Obstacle that it is.LOL I would love to see some if the data you guys have found in the testing. It looks as if there is more to the fuel issue than just the adding of Ethanol. It looks like some other details have been tampered with in the base concoction that we call "GAS".:)Unsure

I love the guys that truly believe that Ethanol is the culprit in this mess. The issue it the "Change" in the chemical makeup in the fuel. I am no chemist, but I bet other chemicals had to be added to help "Blend" the ethanol which in turn makes it where we are comparing apples to oranges. It is clear that people like Unchained as well as those racing on E85 at Long Beach have proven that Ethanol has its place as a usable fuel. It just takes some changes to make it work. Clearly some (I won't name any names) are incapable to opening their minds to anything different and therefore will never move forward. Some just find complacency comfortable, which is not a terrible thing. Although true winners are never complacent.:wink2:

Paul

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Warp, so it is just like everything else where there is a learning curve to the fuel. I heard there were a couple "High-Tech Rednecks" working in the Hendrick engine area, and I bet they just might figure it out in spite of the Huge Obstacle that it is.LOL I would love to see some if the data you guys have found in the testing. It looks as if there is more to the fuel issue than just the adding of Ethanol. It looks like some other details have been tampered with in the base concoction that we call "GAS".:)Unsure

I love the guys that truly believe that Ethanol is the culprit in this mess. The issue it the "Change" in the chemical makeup in the fuel. I am no chemist, but I bet other chemicals had to be added to help "Blend" the ethanol which in turn makes it where we are comparing apples to oranges. It is clear that people like Unchained as well as those racing on E85 at Long Beach have proven that Ethanol has its place as a usable fuel. It just takes some changes to make it work. Clearly some (I won't name any names) are incapable to opening their minds to anything different and therefore will never move forward. Some just find complacency comfortable, which is not a terrible thing. Although true winners are never complacent.:wink2:

Paul
good post Paul and as I posted a few weeks ago its 105 octane or some kinda rating equal to octane-not 98- and yeah there is a learning curve ...Warp Speed-My mistake here I apologize got my fuels mixed up

·
Village Idiot
3,464 Posts
I am going to defer on the NASCAR fuel as I am SURE Warp knows more about it than I could ever learn. If he says their blend is 98 octane then I believe him. Period. Sadly we have three different discussions going on here. We have a discussion which is based around the NASCAR blend, some dialog regarding other ethanol blends (such as E85) and some other that have NO idea what they are talking about and conveniently have no facts or experience to back up their words. I think it is clear to any open minded reader that there are some on this thread who speak from experience and other who speak from thier... ... Ignorance.:)

Paul

1 - 20 of 117 Posts