Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
neck airbag system for boat racing?

There are some pretty cool airbag "suits" and jacket systems coming out for the motorcycle industry I could see adaptation for in the boat racing world...don't know much about them yet, but one featured in the link is selling for $600 on the internet.....probably more involved than meets the eye but thought I would post....triggered by lanyard like our kill switches..inflates in .2 seconds

Thoughts??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOMmB2jRnys

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think that's really neat and a good idea. Only problem I see is unintentional deployment. I have stood up while floating numerous times with lanyard still hooked to kill switch and would have made it inflate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's really neat and a good idea. Only problem I see is unintentional deployment. I have stood up while floating numerous times with lanyard still hooked to kill switch and would have made it inflate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4N0U1IPnMY8

This vid shows the deployment in real time.....looks like lanyard tugs on the jacket a little before going off like it is spring tensioned....might be enough of an "oh yeah, forgot" reminder?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I guess the worst that would happen if it went off on accident is it would be pumped up and ready to work before you even needed it to be.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
I really like this system. I wonder though, how the sanctioning organizations would address this. Particularly, current helmet restraint straps would interfere in their current mandated locations.Jocko

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would need to be allowed in lieu..IMO I'd prefer it over the straps.....problem I have with straps is if I tighten so neck is safe, I can't turn head and see...if loosened enough for better visibility, less effective should I need them.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
I really like this system. I wonder though, how the sanctioning organizations would address this. Particularly, current helmet restraint straps would interfere in their current mandated locations.Jocko
I don't think helmet restraint straps are mandated. I've seen some guys use a Leatt brace made for go kart racing, that's what I want to try. I personally don't like either of the two strap systems I've tried.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
I don't think helmet restraint straps are mandated. I've seen some guys use a Leatt brace made for go kart racing, that's what I want to try. I personally don't like either of the two strap systems I've tried.

i completely agree with what you're saying. I believe a head "restraint system" is required. I assume this inflatable system would stop the water "bucketing" issue with the helmet? Jocko

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I don't think helmet restraint straps are mandated. I've seen some guys use a Leatt brace made for go kart racing, that's what I want to try. I personally don't like either of the two strap systems I've tried. The Pratt looks promising. I was looked at those. They are an alternative. The question is will APBA allow these without the helmet restraints. Maybe Jeff Conant or Ross Wallach will comment

see above

·
Registered
272 Posts

X2 I didn't see if it can be recharged if this happens. Looks like a once and done item. $600 is cheap to save a life but $600 every ops adds up.

·
Registered
272 Posts

X2 I didn't see if it can be recharged if this happens. Looks like a once and done item. $600 is cheap to save a life but $600 every ops adds up.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would assume it is rechargeable like the PFD's and the Avalanche bags that us back country snowmobilers wear. Just a pressurized canister similar to a paintball setup.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep...repackable.... you just need a new co2 canister. Talking to a rep with the company now. I want to see how we can adapt to fit with our life jackets and develop a lanyard "trigger" that makes sense for us and maybe addresses at the same time the concern for unintentional deployment.......although my guess is you'd only make that mistake once!
...maybe do a demonstration for interested parties at an upcoming race???

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok...got some more info. No special knowledge to repack...has a diagram, if you fold a tshirt you can repack airbag. Triggered by a $25 c02 disposable cartridge that inflates bag when lanyard (which is a Kevlar wire in this case) is yanked with a release attached to the cartridge itself, other end secured to ?? on the boat. Requires 65 lbs of force (in its current design) to detach from the cartridge which addresses the accidental deployment issue. Otherwise simply unhook wire from cartridge when you want to get out of the boat or devise a detachable connection on the boat that survives more than 65 lbs so weak point is still at cartridge if you dont want wire permanently attached to boat????...They have systems that are just straps and no jacket so it can be worn over your own tracksuit or life jacket in our case. Rep lives about 30 minutes from marine stadium....would be happy to demonstrate at summer race??

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ok...got some more info. No special knowledge to repack...has a diagram, if you fold a tshirt you can repack airbag. Triggered by a $25 c02 disposable cartridge that inflates bag when lanyard (which is a Kevlar wire in this case) is yanked with a release attached to the cartridge itself, other end secured to ?? on the boat. Requires 65 lbs of force (in its current design) to detach from the cartridge which addresses the accidental deployment issue. Otherwise simply unhook wire from cartridge when you want to get out of the boat or devise a detachable connection on the boat that survives more than 65 lbs so weak point is still at cartridge if you dont want wire permanently attached to boat????...They have systems that are just straps and no jacket so it can be worn over your own tracksuit or life jacket in our case. Rep lives about 30 minutes from marine stadium....would be happy to demonstrate at summer race??
Thanks for the research, I will pass it on to my race friends. The last time my buddy went for a swim the bucketing ripped his helmet off even with straps attached, pulled the D rings right out.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for the research, I will pass it on to my race friends. The last time my buddy went for a swim the bucketing ripped his helmet off even with straps attached, pulled the D rings right out.
I was told it's better to have the helmet be pulled off.

·
Registered
79 Posts
An added bonus would be that it may keep your head (mouth and nose) above water if your unconscious. That is reason enough to have one in my book.

·
Registered
369 Posts
He was lucky. Last time I saw a racer go for a swim, his helmet stayed on and he ended up paralyzed from the neck down.
I don't buckle the chin strap on my helmet. Never have and never will. Instead, I pass the strap through both rings then lay it back on itself with a small strip of Velcro to keep it in place. Enough velcro to keep it on against the wind but not so much that it won't let go if the water wants to take it. I have the D rings on the sides, but don't always use them because they restrict my range of motion.

Eric

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
They have been around for a while now (at least around here) for bikes. The first real world use of one (bike crashing on a highway) happened about 10 miles away. Guy walked away from it. Not sure how much the jacket helped but the rider had good things to say.
Now to get people to use them even if they did have them. I gave up bikes years ago because how bad drivers are around here but still see kids screaming up the road in shorts and flip flops all the time. Crazy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
He was lucky. Last time I saw a racer go for a swim, his helmet stayed on and he ended up paralyzed from the neck down.
I don't buckle the chin strap on my helmet. Never have and never will. Instead, I pass the strap through both rings then lay it back on itself with a small strip of Velcro to keep it in place. Enough velcro to keep it on against the wind but not so much that it won't let go if the water wants to take it. I have the D rings on the sides, but don't always use them because they restrict my range of motion.

Eric
I like that idea, thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts