Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
jabrun
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a towrope tangled up in the jet and it killed the engine. Then it gets worse, I rowed it into a little bay and beached the nose and tied it to a tree. Then thinking I was in shallow enough water I took the inspection cover off to get the rope out and you can probably guess what happened next. Water was a little deeper than I thought and now the engine is under water and the nose is basically beached so I got all my stuff out and went home. Here's my main question; it still has the factory foam in the front and I was hoping I could get my brother in law's 18 ft.Crestliner and tow it about a quarter mile back to the boat ramp and winch it onto the trailer. The brother in laws boat has a 75 or 100hp. outboard on it. Will the foam keep part of the boat above water and can we tow it.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You are going to have to bail as much water out as possible!!!!! Get it to float on its own. Not a good situation. When you get it home drain eveything and flush the engine.

Mine was uderwater for three weeks and fired it the day after I brought it up. PM me if you want more info.

Tim

·
Registered
436 Posts
Is the top of the transom under water? If not remove that beautiful hood and bail before you try to tow it. Sorry to hear about the rope, the first time I took your boat out I filled the pump with sticks and had to put it on the trailer to get them out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
that sucks

dont know were you are but if your on a river tow up stream,pull the plugs before you try to crank it, dump the oil and put fresh, if it fires get it hot and keep changing oil till all water bubbles and sweat is gone if your cant fire it fill the cylinders with diesel fuel untill you can, main thing is to keep flushing oil till no trace of water. good luck!

·
jabrun
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the transom and hood are under water, the gunnells are covered from the back to about the middle. The guages are still above water since the bow is resting on the shore. I think the only way to bail the water out faster than it comes back in would be to figure out a way to lift the back up a ways. I thought about getting a chain come-along from work tomorrow and maybe hook it to a tree to try lifting but I'm sure it would be easy to damage something. I'm a mechanic and I can get it running good again at home if I can just get it back to the boat dock and on the trailer without sinking it. I wish I had just had someone tow me in when the rope got tangled in the jet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How about using a couple of Tube Its on the back and filling them with air to start to bring the back end up as you bail.:)bulb

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
bring a floor jack and blocks of wood...jack it up, bail it out...get towed home.

Floor jacks work underwater.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
bring a floor jack and blocks of wood...jack it up, bail it out...get towed home.

Floor jacks work underwater.
I'm kind of curious as to how you found out?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I think the tube idea and a couple of friends to lift while the tybes are stuffed under enough to get the transom up above the water and then a pump would get you back afloat. Good luck.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
If you took your brother in laws boat and hook it to the jet with a good tow strap , he should be able to idle out slowly and possibly raise the boat up enough to put the hand hole cover on and get it high enough to bail the water out.

I like the idea of letting equipment do the work for me instead of manual labor. :)sphss

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
this probably looks pretty much the same-

We did as fleet (he was there) said, just bailed it out with coolers, buckets and anything else that would hold water. It was floating on it's own in a short period of time enough to where it was able to be towed over tot he launch ramp. From there the oil was changed a couple of times and I believe it was back running that same day.
Main thing is, get that water out as soon as possible with a couple of oil changes then get the engine running so it can build some heat up. It would be best if you could adjust your incoming water down so the engine idles at about 200º for a couple of minutes so the water will just evaporate away.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts