Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, my names Ben and I’m 15 years old. I saw an old jet boat for sale on marketplace and am wondering if I should get it, it’s a 1980 cougar flat bottom with a Berkeley jet pump and was set up for a big block ford. Is this a good hull to go fast in? I would eventually like to go around 80-90 mph and would like to know how hard it is to get there. I’m used to cars and don’t know anything about boats. The boat has been sitting for two years and any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Ben, wow at 15 you are looking for your first boat, are you working on this with anyone? I am a v-drive flat bottom guy so I am of know help on jets but i have to stick my nose in hear and just caution you on speed and ask you to think safe. I run a 500 plus horse Big Block Chevy in very light circle boat hull, I can tell you that I have walked by a lot of "90+" MPH boats in my 75 mph boat. People lie about their boat speeds and let me tell you 8o plus mph on the water is fast and if something goes wrong it goes wrong fast and people get hurt and dead. BE SAFE first and find a mentor to talk to and pick their brains about these boats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m aware, people like to pad their numbers all the time. Especially in any time of power sport I’ve seen. I’ve been told a few times to be very careful, my supervisors brother at work died in a jet boat accident And I don’t want to end up the same way. I don’t have anyone around that knows a whole lot about these boats. I’m know very little about boats but have messed around with cars a lot, before I broke my leg I was building a 72 challenger drag car. There is a guy who lives about 40 minutes away from me that has a similar boat so maybe I’ll ask him for advice. I need to convince my mom first though...

·
Registered
171 Posts
While I have no direct experience with that hull, as the owner of a true 85 mph jet boat, I can tell you that it is not going to be cheap. Jets like a lot of power, especially torque. Power is expensive. Also, the hull design has a lot to do with how well the boat will handle the speed. There are some hulls that I would never consider going that fast in, for fear of death or dismemberment.

Like Spectra said above, find somebody that has done this before and follow their advice.

Good luck and be safe.

·
small block jet
395 Posts
That looks like a good starter boat for a project. Remember, if it looks fast and sounds fast it doesn't have to be fast. You can have a lot of fun in that boat with a mild big block.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My parents pulled the plug on the whole deal lol. Is this forum a good place to try and find another hull?

·
Registered
171 Posts
My parents pulled the plug on the whole deal lol. Is this forum a good place to try and find another hull?
Keeping an eye out on this forum is certainly a good start.

There is also a very active jet boat community on the large social media site. There you will find many classified pages with jet boats of all kinds for sale.

One warning: pricing on jet boats and boats in general, is through the roof. I cannot believe what some people are asking(and getting) for some of the junk I see for sale. Brace yourself...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts