Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '77 hustler jet boat with a ford 460. My dad bought the boat new from the dealer in '78. The boat is completely bone stock. The carb has been rebuilt a couple times and the plugs on the top of the bowls are JB welded. The boat has the original distributor with points. In the last year or so, at high RPM's the motor starts to cut out. We had some points problems in the past. Thinking maybe its time for a new carb and an electronic ignition system, but that just may be me wanting to spend money. Guessing the carb is a 750 holley, but not sure how to tell. Also not sure where you guys mount the box for the electronic ignition if I go that route. Essentially looking for some ideas. Attached some pics for fun...

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
i changed from point style ignition to the pertronix ignitor III it didnt break the bank about $150 and it just replaces the points you can set the rev limiter and all that good stuff with out having to buy a distributor an msd box and all that stuff. ive never had a problem at all with it. As far as the carb goes use one with mechanical secondaries NOT vaccum holley 750-850 double pumper should work for you really well. Pig

·
Steve
402 Posts
Pertronix

X2 on the pertronix, unless your looking to do a big $$ ignition upgrade. Ran one for years, get rid of the old school points setup. Nice looking boat by the way.
:)devil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts