Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine has a Merlin II block with 4.5 bore. The block has been O-ring (height is .010 with a bore of 4.78).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you planning on adding more boost in the future?
I want to run the engine on 91 so probably not much more boost. The previous owner was running a MLS head gasket and it looks like there might have been water getting into the valley. However, we didn't find any water in the oil.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of expensive but these look good.

SCE-T13524

sce-t13524_w.jpg

With their built-in oil and coolant seals, patented SCE Titan copper self-sealing head gaskets require no additional sealants. That means that you get user-friendly installation, combined with reliable fluid sealing, plus the unbeatable strength of solid copper gaskets. The fluid seals are bonded to both sides of the gaskets and cleverly offset to allow the annealed copper of the gaskets to deform around them for a better seal, especially in the O-ring combustion-seal area. Recommended for liquid-cooled racing engines with O-rings in the heads or block, these one-of-a-kind copper head gaskets can even be used on street machines with no worries about coolant leaks! For perfect sealing strength every time, introduce your engine to SCE Titan copper head gaskets.

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
A good set of fel-pros will be fine

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you blow a Felpro performance composite gasket out on pump gas, there is something else wrong.
If you run 1047, the fire ring will clear the o ring groove in the block

The SCE Titans are great gaskets, but you still have to run the ring.
Thanks...Is this for real or will we have to run additional sealants?

SCE Titan copper self-sealing head gaskets require no additional sealants

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
.............The SCE Titans are great gaskets, but you still have to run the ring.
Yup, thats what we're running in our blown gas deal.

Gosh I hope so!!!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

Its for real the first time you use them. They won't seal the cylinder, you need o rings, but they do seal the water ports well.
I use the same gasket except the ICS version. I just throw them on a dry clean block.

If you reuse them, you'll need to reseal them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its for real the first time you use them. They won't seal the cylinder, you need o rings, but they do seal the water ports well.
I use the same gasket except the ICS version. I just throw them on a dry clean block.

If you reuse them, you'll need to reseal them.
Ok, I just saw this in the FAQ of the SCE website and thought to ask.

Titan head gaskets have silicone seals bonded to the gasket surfaces. However, some builders prefer to use additional sealant for street driven applications. If additional sealant is desired SCE recommends Copper Coat, SCE p/n G1612.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Ok, I just saw this in the FAQ of the SCE website and thought to ask.

Titan head gaskets have silicone seals bonded to the gasket surfaces. However, some builders prefer to use additional sealant for street driven applications. If additional sealant is desired SCE recommends Copper Coat, SCE p/n G1612.
I personally prefer not to use copper coat. If I need to reseal them, I use either their G1651 which is Valco Hylomar, or Three Bond 1194.

If they don't seal with the bead they put on them, you need to look at your heads and block machining.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
You really do not need the o rings and copper gaskets. If it were mine I would pull the wire out and run a Fel pro MLS gasket.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
The engine has a Merlin II block with 4.5 bore. The block has been O-ring (height is .010 with a bore of 4.78).
We have Detroit expandable graphite composite gaskets in 4.52 bore. We have both the marine and the automotive. They'll handle just about anything you can throw at them and for a whole lot less than the MLS gaskets.

·
Registered
722 Posts
We have Detroit expandable graphite composite gaskets in 4.52 bore. We have both the marine and the automotive. They'll handle just about anything you can throw at them and for a whole lot less than the MLS gaskets.
you have them for BBF 4.56 bore?

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Are those Detroit gaskets a light brown color?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Kind of expensive but these look good.

SCE-T13524

View attachment 494665
That is what Riolo Racing recommended for my motor, when I pulled the heads and reused them Dave told me to use a red scotch brite and remove all the orange silicone then spray 2 light coats of the Permetex gasket spray and a thin coat of a special silicone he recommended around the water passages. Did that and no leaks, installing a new set of same gaskets when I put motor back together after head work ... Sure cant go wrong following Dave's advice as far as I'm concerned :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your help guys...:))THumbsUp I am leaning toward the Titan Copper in case I ever want to turn up the PSI.

A couple more questions: If I run the Titan Copper gasket should I run a 4.520 or 4.570 bore. The Tech at Summit suggested a 4.570 saying that as the gasket compresses part of the gasket could protrude into the cylinder with a 4.520. Also, with an O-ring height of .010/.011 should I run a .043" compressed thickness or .050" thickness? I read somewhere that the gasket should be about four times the size of the O-ring height so .043 should work but I just wanted to check with you guys.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts