Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - Im trying to sort out the 454, bored to 468, in my little jet boat. It has an Accel dual-point mechanical distributor, no vacuum. It fires up and seems to run well, no issues when revving it, etc, no other known runability issues.

Im currently looking to check and adjust the timing. I have an advance strobe light with the dial knob on the back. When I fire it up, put the strobe on it, and rev the engine up to 3,000 or even 3,500 RPM, the timing mark doesnt move. Im still new to this but I know the mark should move as RPM increases and I was expecting to have to turn the dial on my strobe light to get it back to where it was at idle and that would tell me the all-in (fully advanced) timing, but again, the timing mark doesnt move.

I dont think its a strobe light issue because if I turn the knob on it while engine is at idle, I can make the timing mark move that way.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After reading a bit more, could this possibly mean that a previous owner locked out the timing/distributor so that it only runs at full advance?

I was hoping to replace the points with a Pertronix electronic conversion kit. Will this have any affect if the distributor is indeed locked out?

Another possibly odd thing, when the engine was at idle and I put the strobe to it, the yellow line on the balancer was only reading like 4-6 BTDC. And course as I mentioned, when I revved the engine up to 3500, the timing mark never moved.

·
Village Idiot
3,453 Posts
The advance mechanism might be stuck from rust or junk. Or it could have been locked out. Timing should be somewhere between 32-40 degrees depending on the engine combo.

Paul

·
Some guy
3,614 Posts
Hey, nevermind, that yellow mark is roughly 36 degrees, the groove in the damper would be the zero mark. Measure from the groove to the yellow mark, on a regular 8" damper, 36 degrees is about 2.54" if I remember correctly, about 1/10th the circumference of the damper. If you dial your light to zero it should probably be at or near the yellow mark with the advance in. Dial it to roughly 36 and see if the black groove is lined up.

You can buy a mechanical advance HEI distributor for just over $100 rather than converting yours, assuming it's not a covered engine.

·
Administrator
16,876 Posts
As mentioned above the advance might be locked or stuck. The yellow mark hopefully is the total timing marked by someone. Or hope not someone re-marked TDC due to the balancer has slipped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Obnoxious 001 was correct in that I do have a standard 8" damper and the yellow line is indeed 2.5" right of the groove. For my neighbors sake, it is still too early this morning to fire it up to see if the black groove lines up at 0 when I set my timing light to 36 degrees, but I will check that later.

Based on all this and since the yellow line never moves when engine is revved, it sounds like my Accel 34100 distributor has been locked out (hopefully not just stuck from gunk or rust). Im going to try to figure out how to verify this but even if I remove the points, I dont see how I can get below the metal plate the points screw into so I can see the advance mechanism. It seems that plate is part of the housing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nevermind. I figured out how to separate it. Two screws underneath. Confirmed it has indeed been locked out. Plates welded together. Since this one is already locked out, I think Ill just throw a Pertronix electronic conversion kit in it, verify timing is back to 36 and call it good.

Thanks all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts