Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing an intake swap on my 460 and figured now would be a good time to do a cam swap. I want a cam to have a lopey idle and have good vacuum....What does everyone recommend? I have an edelbrock performer rpm intake and edelbrock carb on it right now.Also,its a 20' Southwind with a berkley jet

ive come across a lunati cam...here are the specs
idle-5000- duration at .50" 207/213 Lift int. .503/.535

or a crane cam
1500-4500 duration at.50" 204/216 lift int. .487/.518

All and any info will be greatly appreciated,
Jon

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i'd shoot for alil more duration to help the heads breathe, exhaust ports are horrible on those heads:)sphss you're not gonna get away with much more lift, but you should be able to pull off 530, and make sure you upgrade springs:)bulb

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
I run a Comp 280H with .530 lift, and 230 deg @.050. No problems with logs and reversion, but I'm not comfortable with more duration than that. You may need to machine the spring seats for this lift.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info! What does everyone recommend if I am running logs?Also should I just leave it stock?Its a 70 block if that matters

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Thanks for all the info! What does everyone recommend if I am running logs?Also should I just leave it stock?Its a 70 block if that matters
You can get away with a little more duration but OEM Ford heads like a alot of split. I would look for something like 215 on the intake and 230 on the exhaust at .050". Make it around 540 lift on intake and 500 on exhaust.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
I am doing an intake swap on my 460 and figured now would be a good time to do a cam swap. I want a cam to have a lopey idle and have good vacuum....What does everyone recommend? I have an edelbrock performer rpm intake and edelbrock carb on it right now.Also,its a 20' Southwind with a berkley jet

ive come across a lunati cam...here are the specs
idle-5000- duration at .50" 207/213 Lift int. .503/.535

or a crane cam
1500-4500 duration at.50" 204/216 lift int. .487/.518

All and any info will be greatly appreciated,
Jon
Jon,

Don't know enough about your engine combo, but if the longblok is essentially stock then the Summit Cam p/n SUM-3501 will work for you. 0.503"/0.503" - 218*/228*@0.050 - 114 LSA. Close to what Straub recommended and with the "good vacuum" you desire.

Next power ugrade: ditch the Edelbrock carb for a Holley 850 cfm Double-Pumper.

LO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jon,

Don't know enough about your engine combo, but if the longblok is essentially stock then the Summit Cam p/n SUM-3501 will work for you. 0.503"/0.503" - 218*/228*@0.050 - 114 LSA. Close to what Straub recommended and with the "good vacuum" you desire.

Next power ugrade: ditch the Edelbrock carb for a Holley 850 cfm Double-Pumper.

LO
Thanks for all the USEFUL INFO!!!!!! This is a new "game" for me...With that cam,will it give me a lopey idle?Also,can I use the stock valvetrain or would I need to upgrade?

·
ATTA BOY
2,348 Posts
I run a Comp 280H with .530 lift, and 230 deg @.050. No problems with logs and reversion, but I'm not comfortable with more duration than that. You may need to machine the spring seats for this lift.
Same cam i have and its been a great cam. Nice lope to it too

76mph at 5k with this one.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
did everyone upgrade their valvetrain or keep the stock push rods and lifters
With the OEM valve train in good operational order, the SUM-3501 Cam & Lifter kit will work without any other modifications, assuming the typical new camshaft break-in procedures are followed. Any more camshaft than that and you had better upgrade several areas of the valve train (exactly which parts get upgraded depends on the camshaft selected).

LO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts