Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son (19)and I are driving to San Diego (from Portland)early tomorrow morning. We are planning to be in S/F around lunch time. From there, we are driving down the coast to San diego. Planning on Hotel tomorrow eve. a few hours South of S/F. Any advice on places to eat/stop, things to do or see?

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Santa Cruz, Capitola, Monterey Bay, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Pismo.

·
Registered
863 Posts
How are you traveling, on the 101 or I-5. Either way, don't worry about traffic on Thanksgiving, everyone will already be a grandma's house. There're aren't more than a million things to see on this trip. What are your interests, sight seeing, museums, parks, the coast, what?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah 101, I know about all the cities on the way, just have never driven that way and looking for cool places to stop and check out...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Then what the guys above say, as much time in SF as you can, then down the 101 to Monterey, Santa Cruz, etc. Then San Diego, the weather will have moved on by the time you get there...

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
If you like Artichokes, consider the Giant Artichoke Restaurant in Castroville.
Cheap, easy, and incredibly good.
Artichokes prepared any way you can possibly think of.
The prices are right.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
If you have the time take parts of highway 1 down the coast below SF. Parts of it are very sceanic. Much slower than the 101 though. Which is slower than the I-5. I-5 is pretty nice if you like cows, canals, and sagebrush. :D

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
If you like Artichokes, consider the Giant Artichoke Restaurant in Castroville.
Cheap, easy, and incredibly good.
Artichokes prepared any way you can possibly think of.
The prices are right.
The Giant Artichoke is probably going to be closed, but if you continue on hwy.1 there is a restaraunt called A.J. Spurs in Seaside where you can get a steak the size of your head (depending on how big your head is), pretty good eats...It's very close to the freeway right on the water (Monterey Bay). IMO the cannery row is a must see, 20 min. side trip for you, but worth the trip, not sure what will be open though.

If you stay on 101, once you get passed Salinas, plan on being a little bored for about an hour, not much too see other than a prison (Soledad).

If it were me, and it sounds like the way you are going, take hwy 1 from SF and check out the Pigeon Point lighthouse (if your into that kind of stuff) its right by the freeway also, go through Santa Cruz, the road is under construction in Santa Cruz, but they won't be working tomorrow and you should be able to sail right through. There are literally hundreds of places along hwy 1 to stop and piss away an hour, don't know what kind of stuff you like but its all there...BTW you will be driving right by where the Mavericks competition is held (surfing) so there should be some killer waves...

I'm envious, have a safe trip...

GT :)hand

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Take the 1/101 all the way from SF to SD. It may take more than one day. Stop anywhere you see anything distinctive. Go slow and enjoy - it is all very good:D

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Which brings up a little safety tip of the day......Being as it rains there (Portland) all of the damn time:)st your roads are "seasoned", it has not rained here for a damn long time, so you won't be used to the snot streets we have down here, be cool, take it slow and make it home safely...

GT :)hand

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
If you have the time take parts of highway 1 down the coast below SF. Parts of it are very sceanic. Much slower than the 101 though. Which is slower than the I-5. I-5 is pretty nice if you like cows, canals, and sagebrush. :D

Harris Ranch is the only thing worth a crap between Casa de Fruita and LA. :D

Giant artichoke is great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts