Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Nordic 35' Flame
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Nordic Flame with 1999 Merc 502 MPI Mags. The starboard engine has been suddenly dropping out the last two outings. It seems that the engine quits when we hit a wave or any time the boat jolts onto the surface of the water. I am trying to make a list of connections to check and see if there is anything else that I haven't thought of or if any of these are in no possible way the problem. Here's my list so far...

Connections at battery
Connections at battery switch
Connections at starter
Connections at coil and distributer
Connections at ignition kill switch
Connections at ignition key switch
Connections at supply to circuit breaker panel board

Every time this has happened so far, the boat slams...my volts drop, and as the engine dies the oil pressure drops. I really want to get this fixed this week, any other suggestions on what the problem may be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
I've seen a handful of times these three issues when bouncing off waves:

1) Main engine electrical harness connection - ie: big round plug - loose. Some will put a zip tie around outside of connector but I'll typically put large hose clamp around it. Just push the male in to female all the way and tighten clamp.

2) Main battery + wire connection at starter. In some boats the + cable has a good amt of slack, and if nut on starter post is loose the weight of the cable + sudden boat movements can make the cable move around.

3) Battery plate shorting. Harder to diagnose but if you have a battery that is quite old or needing a jump once in a while, then replace it.

Good luck and hope it works out. Problems like this can be tough to figure out sometimes, but not always. Hopefully yours is easier to find.

R

·
0 Posts
Check your battery. I've seen cracks in the post just below the case. Works great until it bounces around a little, then it goes away.

·
Nordic 35' Flame
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A lot of people have suggested the "cannon plug" round plug back by the distributer, I'm gonna check that 1st. It's NOT the battery...I thought that too because one of my batteries needed to be jump started all the time when this started happening. Last week I bought 4 brand new Optimas...problem is still there. If you even mention the fact that I spent $700 on batteries for the boat to my wife...............I will have to kill you:D

2,056 Posts
A lot of people have suggested the "cannon plug" round plug back by the distributer, I'm gonna check that 1st. It's NOT the battery...I thought that too because one of my batteries needed to be jump started all the time when this started happening. Last week I bought 4 brand new Optimas...problem is still there. If you even mention the fact that I spent $700 on batteries for the boat to my wife...............I will have to kill you:D
Check the wiring harness all the way through for spots it might be rubbing against something. Also check the engine block grounds.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Check the wiring harness all the way through for spots it might be rubbing against something. Also check the engine block grounds.
first place i'd look. sometimes crimped on connections get not so crimped on.check the bolt tension with a wrench.after that (easy),out of the whole harness i'd be looking at the ignition wire first. .02 -Jas

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Monster is on the right track, you are losing ground somewhere. Rerun gounds to the battery from the motor and especially the dash. The fact that the guages go wacko should be a gift from the water gods. Grounds are very crucial on boats as they live in a water environment. My suggestion would be to follow the ground wire from the farthest part from the loom under the dash and check them all and then run a temporary wire directly to the battery and then a temporary wire from the block to the battery and see if the gremlin dies. Good luck. M

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Rule #1 batteries are $25 each lol How do you think I was able to build my motor for $2500? lmao Guys are prob right on the ground thing.

·
Nordic 35' Flame
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it fixed this weekend, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. Turns out it was the round "cannon" plug like several people suggested. I made sure that the plug was fully engaged and installed a stainless hose clamp. I took the boat out this weekend and it never stuttered once, and it was rough out there!

Thanks again guys, this site is a wealth of information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts