Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I have a mismatched hydraulic steering system. It has a Sauer-Danfoss /VERADO helm which is rated at 3.05 Cubic Inches of volume. The cylinder is and unknown brand...the pump is the factory GM pump on the engine. The problem is the cylinder takes too much volume for the helm. So it takes over 8 turns lock to lock.
I have already changed the helm to a faster unit...the fastest one I can get without changing all my hydraulic lines...and that helped a little, but only a couple turns....I was at 10 turns lock to lock before this.
So now I am thinking I need to get a faster cylinder. One that will move quicker with the helm volumn I have.
I need suggestions, I am open to anything except spending $1000s on a complete new system.
Here is a pic of the cylinder I have....anyone know who makes it?

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
What helm did you go to? I have a twin engine OB rig and ran a Hynautic/Teleflex H-50 helm (2.0cu-in/rev) with my two cylinders and that was 14 turns lock to lock. I have since upgraded to a Capilano 1275v adjustable flow helm which is adjustable from 2.7 to 5.4 cu-in/rev. Turned up about 2/3 way, it's 5.5 turns lock to lock now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have the Danfoss/Verado helm. How much was the adjustable helm and where did you get it?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I will check the helm that I have, but your cylinder looks like it uses a lot of volume, you may be able to have "fillers" put in the ram to make it use less volume, but definately a job for the pro's.

The way I have seen it done is they use an aluminum pipe on the inside area and outside area making the ram have less volume overall, less volume means quicker travel, but at less force.....:)

GT :)hand

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I would think it would just be easier to buy a ram that requires less volume....but so far I can't find anyone that can tell me what I need....or they just want to sell me a complete $4000 system.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
Call Imco Nevada and ask for Ron make sure you talk to Ron. :) He is very knowlegable on that stuff and will take the time to help you if he can.
I would be surprised if they did not have a cylinder that will solve your problem.
Tell him Brian from B & D Marine said to call.

702-294-3030

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I bought mine used, but you can find them new on the web for around $800. Do a search for Capilano 1275V. They make a 1250V, but that's less volume movement than the 1275V.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts