Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to build a BBC to repower my jet boat and i need to learn about the different heads and what to look for, anybody recommend a good book or website that maybe covers the different heads and motors and years etc. im looking to build a 550-600 hp motor for a jet boat if that helps:D

·
Banned
697 Posts
If you are looking for a great reference book on the basic's between the Mark 4, Gen5/6, and the Chevy parts that go with them, and what crosses between them, The Dennis Moore Book, Marine Big Blocks is great. But its hard to find. It doesn't give you that many HP building tips, but as a reference sourse, its great.

·
Banned
697 Posts
wow that marine book is spendy! one on ebay is 120 the only one on amazon is like 300.00:))eek:))
Geez, it seems that people are greedy because its out of print I guess.

Chevy Rat Motors is good also. by Ed Staffel. The how to hot rod BB chevys is good, but a bit dated. (at least the copy I have is). STaffel's is more current.

I don't know if they make it anymore, but Chevy used to put out a performance book themselves. I got mine from a Chevy dealer years ago

·
Registered
282 Posts
Those books are good for the basics but most are 20 years old.SA design books are good.Look for smokeys power secrets its got good info but its old school stuff.Get some catalogs from crank,rod,cam and head places call them and have them send it out.There is some good info in them and you can stay up to date on latest products.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, i picked up the rat motors one, thats the only one i could find here in town, but that shoudl at least give me the basics of different heads, blocks etc. that way ill knwo what to shop for...thanks again for your input:D

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
This is one good one!...

Chevy Power!

Definately one everyone should have...I agree.

Always make sure to get the latest release. They should be available on the shelf at any GMPP (GM Performance Parts) dealer too.

CHEVROLET POWER is the official factory performance manual!

This book represents the latest information on Chevy high performance parts and engines-straight from the engineers at the Chevrolet Raceshop and GM Motorsports.
Chevrolet Power covers the spectrum of high performance and competition racing engines, including street rods, restoration, oval track, drag racing, road racing and powerboats. Chevrolet Power is the authority on Chevrolet performance engines:

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
wow that marine book is spendy! one on ebay is 120 the only one on amazon is like 300.00:))eek:))
Yeah, and if you look at the back cover of the book, the price marked is $16.95 US, lol.:)sphss It sucks (for the buyer) when books like that go out of print and then the quantities available get very low.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
I have one. It's okay. Some good insight...a lot of 'no schit shirlock.'
Good newbie book. Thus why worth $$$$ to some people I guess.
BTW: Geared towards I/O people, not other watersports.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
What about Chevrolet Big Block Parts Interchange Manual by Ed Staffel Jr.? Does anybody know anything about this book? Is it a good one?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay now im learning a little, im looking to build a 500-600 hp motor for my 18.5ft boat, im shopping for a 454, but any suggestions of a mark 4 or 5 and rect or large oval heads. im not looking for mega motor but i would like to have the option of a 70-75mph blast here and there, what do you guys suggest at least as a start, what block what heads etc?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Okay now im learning a little, im looking to build a 500-600 hp motor for my 18.5ft boat, im shopping for a 454, but any suggestions of a mark 4 or 5 and rect or large oval heads. im not looking for mega motor but i would like to have the option of a 70-75mph blast here and there, what do you guys suggest at least as a start, what block what heads etc?
From my research the Gen V is kind of a bastard child, I'd go with the Mark IV my self...greatest parts availability IMO and the most common.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Keep in mind the engine size and intended RPM.

A 454 isn't nearly as big as it used to be.

If you are not headed over 6,000rpm, stay away from rectangle port heads, especially 2.3" valves in them too.
Low port flow velocity makes for poor cylinder filling, fuel dropout & puddling, lousy torque (and subsequently poor HP).

In a 454 look at something slightly bigger than the factory large oval, but smaller than the big rectangles). You either buy aftermarket to do this, or have work done on Large Ovals (which I did).

Once you go to breaking 500CID, then you can start looking at smaller rectangle port heads.

I'm pulling a pretty large impeller (Aggressor B which is a Berk A cut) to 5,400RPM through Large Oval GM iron heads (ported and larger valves tho), with a Isky 280H cam (custom ramp grind tho), RPM Air Gap manifold, single 4-barrell Holley 4150. Great throttle response and pulling on skiiers and tubes, easy starting, 830 rpm idle.
5,900RPM on the big nitrous jets (150hp).

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts